• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blake5179
    232 I6
    • Jan 07, 2011

Help, Twin Stick Dana 20

I just bought a twin stick kit for the dana 20 t case from a member on here. It looks really simple and the web site it came from JBFAB.net says it does not require any internal modifications.
    I am trying to install it but I can't get the old shifter and shift box off. I am trying to do it with the t case still in the Jeep.
    I removed the pins from the two shift rails and pulled them out. then removed the set screws from the big tube that goes one side into the t case and the other side supports the shifter. Now the shifter is loose and just needs to slide off and come out. but it hits the transmission just before it has slide far enough to come off.
    Do I have to separate the t case from the transmission or is there a different way?

Please help!
    thanks
    1977 Cherokee
    360 V8 T18 Manual Dana 20 TC
    Lockers front and back
    Warn 5721 winch
    36" TSL's beadlocks
    Holley Fuel Injection
    Front manual hubs
    SOA and SF
  • cmelo
    258 I6
    • Feb 08, 2008

I'm having trouble picturing what you're trying to explain but I don't think the tube needs to come off at all. You should be able to unbolt the shifters and either get them out from the top or the bottom. Taking the tranny cover off will give you alot of room from the top. I made my shifters so I can't give you any specific advice for your setup.
    79' J10 360/T18/D20- Locked & bobbed on 35s

Comment

• []V[]AXX
      350 Buick
      • Nov 10, 2009

If the truck you're working on is the one in your sig, yes, you do have to separate the tranny from the clutch housing. I have a J10 with the T15 3 speed. I had assumed that I had to pull mine apart because the 3 speed is so short, but it seems that you have the same problem.

You can pull the 4 bolts that hold the transmission to the clutch housing, then back it off enough to get the grease box shifter off the tube. I tried a few things, including trying to drive the tube backwards in the mount, but it didn't work.

Last edited by []V[]AXX; 10-20-2011, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• blake5179
        232 I6
        • Jan 07, 2011

thanks guys, I was hoping there would be an easier way but if not at least I know and won't keep messing around trying.
        thanks
        1977 Cherokee
        Lockers front and back
        Warn 5721 winch
        36" TSL's beadlocks
        Holley Fuel Injection
        Front manual hubs
        SOA and SF

Comment

• Dumpy
          304 AMC
          • Jan 30, 2009

Originally posted by []V[]AXX
          If the truck you're working on is the one in your sig, yes, you do have to sep a
          Wow! That's a clean case!
          Justin
          '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
          "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• trickc
            304 AMC
            • Nov 29, 2000

That shift rail should have 4 bolts on it, 2 at the box and 2 at the back end by the tcase. I was able to take out the 4 bolts slide the shifter box back on the rail then slide the rail forward and pull the whole thing out, which if I read correctly is what you're trying to do.
            73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah

Comment

• Gambler68
              Rabble Rouser
              • Feb 29, 2004

...why not just cut it? There's extra rail..
              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• hummer010
                232 I6
                • Jul 26, 2007

Originally posted by trickc
                That shift rail should have 4 bolts on it, 2 at the box and 2 at the back end by the tcase. I was able to take out the 4 bolts slide the shifter box back on the rail then slide the rail forward and pull the whole thing out, which if I read correctly is what you're trying to do.
                This worked for me too. It was a bit tough to get the tube moving. I removed the set screw from the case end of the tube, and replaced the one on the shifter box. Then I could use the shifter box as leverage to get the tube loosened up. After that it just popped off easy.
                68 j3000 327/T18/D20 Work in Progress

Comment

• []V[]AXX
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 10, 2009

I hope that can work for him, but with my 3 speed, it's just too short, and the tube hits the clutch housing too. I would have had to cut mine, or pull it, which I did.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                    Hey watch this...
                    • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by Gambler68
                    ...why not just cut it? There's extra rail..
                    Bingo!!!

Been there done that......

Comment

• tyrodtom
                      258 I6
                      • Jun 23, 2006

It's been about 4-5 years since I installed the twin stick on my J-10. I did it all from the topside. I took off my transmission cover in the cab. I've got a T-15 also.
                      82 J10 swb, 360,Offy dual port, edelbrock 600, DUI,3.5in. exhaust, T15, D20 twin-stick, Dana 44 fr, Ford 9in.3.70 rear, 31in. BFG

Comment

• blake5179
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 07, 2011

Well on my Dana 20 T18 4 speed combo, I tried everything to get that thing off. Pulled the set screws off both ends and the shift rail linkages removed, WD-40 on everything, the shift box would slide back and forth eaisly and the tube it was on slide forward and back but I couldn't get it past the transmission. I just ended up pulling the t case off.

Turned what I was thinking was going to be a simple job into a all day thing but oh well. Its on there now. I tested it in the driveway and it shifts fine but I can't wait to test it on the trails.
                        thanks guys
                        1977 Cherokee
                        Lockers front and back
                        Warn 5721 winch
                        36" TSL's beadlocks
                        Holley Fuel Injection
                        Front manual hubs
                        SOA and SF

Comment

• []V[]AXX
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 10, 2009

Originally posted by tyrodtom
                          It's been about 4-5 years since I installed the twin stick on my J-10. I did it all from the topside. I took off my transmission cover in the cab. I've got a T-15 also.

Ok, so how did you get the shifter off without moving the transmission? I could not pull the tube forward far enough without hitting the clutch housing, and I couldn't slip the greasebox off the end of the tube. Did you cut the tube?

Comment

• tyrodtom
                            258 I6
                            • Jun 23, 2006

I loosened the 2 square nuts first, never loosened the tube, took the front part off by itself, then loosened the tube and took it off separate. I did all this from on top, with the transmission cover on the cab floor off. Never even got under the truck.
                            82 J10 swb, 360,Offy dual port, edelbrock 600, DUI,3.5in. exhaust, T15, D20 twin-stick, Dana 44 fr, Ford 9in.3.70 rear, 31in. BFG

Comment

• []V[]AXX
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 10, 2009

I must have had a longer tube then you did for some reason. The wonderful inconsistency of these rigs...

Comment

Working...
                              X