• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Marneaus
    360 AMC
    • Jun 16, 2010

headlight switch gets HOT - Headlight Relay Install w/ pics - Finished

Hi friends....

after being turned on for a bit my headlight switch gets hot. Hot to the touch. Never so hot that it'll burn me...but its definitely beyond just being warm. I can feel it in the shaft of the pull knob but also on the dash board and on the threaded washer that holds it in.

Maybe related or unrelated...but my headlights still flicker sometimes. After say 20 minutes of being on all lights interior and exterior will flicker and go out and on and out, but if I shut the switch off and turn em back on now they are instantly better....for another 20 min.

That being said....I have taken apart the whole nose of the jeep and cleaned all the grounds patched any splits in the wire coating, etc. I have replaced the dimmer and the headlight switch.

I know resistance causes heat....is my next step using some electrical component cleaner on the plug at the switch and the plug at the firewall? Not sure where to go from here.
    Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 08-31-2011, 07:58 PM.
    Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
    The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
    1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44
  • Billygoat
    304 AMC
    • Mar 16, 2004

Headlight relay, get the main juice for the lights out of the switch.

Places sell kits, but you can get what you need for under $30 or so.
    several write ups in the forums

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
      360 AMC
      • Jun 16, 2010

does this about sum it up?

The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• robert_hollis
        258 I6
        • Jul 28, 2010

Run one relay for brights, and one for dims. should be two gray wires coming off your hi beam switch. each one should feed the relay, then the relay feeds the headlights. Put the relays as close to the bat as possible so you have the shortest distance for big fat wires to run.

This is what they suggested on Mad Electrical. It reduces strain on both switches, and by putting the relays close to the bat, you reduce cost of thicker wire, and voltage drop.
        Last edited by robert_hollis; 08-29-2011, 10:28 AM.
        360/TH400/D20
        3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
          360 AMC
          • Jun 16, 2010

How would you wire in 1 relay for highs and one for low? It's controlled by the floor mounted dimmer switch i thought? there is only 1 power "in" on that switch, and the switch itself controls where the power goes.

The above diagram puts the relay between the battery and the switch essentially, thus keeping the switch from becoming overloaded, and sends the power directly from the battery to the dimmer switch on the floor, and then out to the lights.

I'm not sure how one would wire it in the way you are suggesting, the relays come after the floor dimmer....do you disconnect the main power to the switch, if not how would it reduce the strain at that point? If there was a diagram, it seems like your way might be a bit easier, but i can picture how it would work. I just skimmed the mad electrical article...

What im saying, is with that setup, do you keep the wiring to the switch the same, and the normal current to the headlights is used to trigger the relays, which in turn provide better power (more direct) to the headlights? If so, how does it keep my headlight switch from heating up? I can see how it may gain performance at the lights, but i'm trying to prevent a fire, that system seems like it would still route all the power through the stock switch in the dash, unless otherwise disconnected. Or does simply having the relays in there sending the power from elsewhere reduce the load on the switch?
          Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM.
          The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Billygoat
            304 AMC
            • Mar 16, 2004

your diagram shows bypass the on/off switch, but not the dimmer.
            You are better off to bypass the dimmer and use 2 relays on the headlights themselves, and use the dimmer switch to activate one relay or the other

Comment

• mdill
              Gone. Not Forgotten.
              • Nov 22, 2000

If the switch is hot then the resistance is in the switch not somewhere else, (heat is produced at the point of loss).
              -----------------------------------------
              Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
              1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
              1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
              1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
              1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
              And the other stuff that gets driven
              ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                360 AMC
                • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by Billygoat
                your diagram shows bypass the on/off switch, but not the dimmer.
                You are better off to bypass the dimmer and use 2 relays on the headlights themselves, and use the dimmer switch to activate one relay or the other

Right but the goal is to get the load off the main switch, thus keeping it from getting hot and settimg my dash on fire...the floor mounted dimmer doesn't get hot and im not overly worried about light output...I want to keep the main switch from getting hot....isn't that the purpose of that single relay diagram?
                The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Billygoat
                  304 AMC
                  • Mar 16, 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
                  Right but the goal is to get the load off the main switch, thus keeping it from getting hot and settimg my dash on fire...the floor mounted dimmer doesn't get hot and im not overly worried about light output...I want to keep the main switch from getting hot....isn't that the purpose of that single relay diagram?
                  You are correct, but the floor dimmer is a know issue - ok maybe not in your area, but salty boot water in the winter around here is hard on them.

You could go with what you have shown or drop $5 on another relay and have a better system. The 2 gray wires for the lights are in the harness on the driver fender, you can cut and splice your relay's there pretty easy, and run a new 10ga wire from the solenoid over (with a fuse) in a short amount of time, if you feel you headlight plugs are good no need to replace that part of it, just change the point the point the power enters system.

Comment

• robert_hollis
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 28, 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
                    How would you wire in 1 relay for highs and one for low? It's controlled by the floor mounted dimmer switch i thought? there is only 1 power "in" on that switch, and the switch itself controls where the power goes.

The above diagram puts the relay between the battery and the switch essentially, thus keeping the switch from becoming overloaded, and sends the power directly from the battery to the dimmer switch on the floor, and then out to the lights.

I'm not sure how one would wire it in the way you are suggesting, the relays come after the floor dimmer....do you disconnect the main power to the switch, if not how would it reduce the strain at that point? If there was a diagram, it seems like your way might be a bit easier, but i can picture how it would work. I just skimmed the mad electrical article...

What im saying, is with that setup, do you keep the wiring to the switch the same, and the normal current to the headlights is used to trigger the relays, which in turn provide better power (more direct) to the headlights? If so, how does it keep my headlight switch from heating up? I can see how it may gain performance at the lights, but i'm trying to prevent a fire, that system seems like it would still route all the power through the stock switch in the dash, unless otherwise disconnected. Or does simply having the relays in there sending the power from elsewhere reduce the load on the switch?
                    The dimmer switch has one inlet (red) and two outlets (gray & gray w/tracer). One outlet controls lows, one controls highs. put a relay in line with each of those. That way the power going through the headlight switch AND the dimmer switch is only what is needed to power up the relay's magnetic coil (substantially less than that needed to power two headlights).

Sorry, if I come off confusing. I'm an EMT, not a teacher.
                    360/TH400/D20
                    3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

• robert_hollis
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 28, 2010

Yes, I know this is hideous, but I'm not redrawing the entire circuit for you.
                      You could run a seperate fuse to each relay if you like, but I don't see a need.

Last edited by robert_hollis; 08-29-2011, 12:09 PM.
                      360/TH400/D20
                      3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

You basically use the existing headlight plug wiring as the relay trigger to energize the circuit.
                        low beam wire triggers low beam relay, high beam wire triggers high beam relay.

Takes all the load off the switch & dimmer, that way you get direct battery voltage running from relay right to the headlights.

Do a google search for headlight relay wiring diagram, there are better dual relay diagrams out there than the one you posted.
                        Here's an example...
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• joe
                          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by mdill
                          If the switch is hot then the resistance is in the switch not somewhere else, (heat is produced at the point of loss).
                          Agreed. Clean "to bright shine status" connections at the switch. Just cause you put in a new switch doesn't mean it's good. Taiwan electrical components from auto parts stores(including Napa) all too often are pretty much junk right out of the box.
                          joe
                          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                            360 AMC
                            • Jun 16, 2010

Okay that explains it a little better, but by simply providing the power to the lights from a different source (bat and relay) the load is removed from the switches even though that wiring stays the same? The relays are only going to draw enough power to click themselves on even though the original current is running through the original circuit still?
                            The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• robert_hollis
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 28, 2010

Yup. Just because the wire's big enough to push a more power doesn't mean more power's running through it.

As they said, clean the connectors, so you reduce resistance. Also, wouldn't hurt to buy a new $20 switch, if yours is old, and shows signs of heat (warped plastic, or discolored metal).
                              Last edited by robert_hollis; 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM.
                              360/TH400/D20
                              3"SL/3"BL/35s

Comment

Working...
                              X