International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM

CS144 pulley removal - tapered collar type

CS144 pulley removal - tapered collar type

While undergoing an upgrade of the inferior stock GW alternator to a CS144, I came across one that had the pulley affixed by means of a tapered collar. Others have come across this type of pulley assembly as well and it is not clear as to what years/models they are found on. This donor came from a 94 Cadillac Deville 4.9L and was a recently remanufactured 2007 unit so I acquired it for this project.

In preparation for this project apply a penetrating lubricant such as PB blaster to the pulley nut/shaft the day before. Safety first, always wear proper safety gear and always follow safety guidelines and procedures.

To remove the nut, the use of a 15/16 socket and impact wrench will make quick work of it. Secure the pulley in vice or by hand and remove nut with impact wrench. The nut should easily break loose assuming it or the threaded rotor shaft has not been damaged or severely rusted. Remove nut and lock washer. On some later CS144 alternators placed in GM vehicles the pulley is ‘pressed’ to the shaft by means of a ‘tapered collar’ in the center. The removal of this type of pulley has been the cause of many a bloodied knuckle leading to drastic and sometimes excessively creative countermeasures that often end in disappointment.

[nut and lock washer removed, view of the tapered collar in center.]

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...eredcollar.jpg

You do not want to use a puller with this pulley type, the reason being is that the more outward pressure you apply to the pulley the more you are actually tightening the pulley to the tapered collar and hence pressing the collar to the shaft even tighter. Using a puller will end in destroying the pulley and most likely the rotor shaft as well. Fear not however, there is an easy solution.

[diagram of pulley assembly]

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...depulley-1.jpg

To remove the pulley, strange though it may seem, you need to push it down towards the fan. It needs only a few thousandths of an inch of movement to release the tension pressure on the tapered collar. This can be achieved with a piece of pipe or a socket. I found that a 1 -1/16 socket works quite well. Secure the alternator then insert a pipe or socket inside the pulley making sure that it does not press on the tapered collar but just on the pulley itself and then strike firmly and squarely. Once the tension is released on the tapered collar the pulley should come loose. A gentle tap on the side of the pulley may also be needed. Once off replace with your pulley of choice. Late model stock FSJ pulleys should have same bore dimensions.

[1-1/16 socket inserted and ready for a smackin]

[diagram of pulley assembly]

Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Cowboy Up

Thank you sir!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 PM
350 Buick

or take it to a local alty shop and ask them to remove it
Wish you had made this thread back when I took the cs144 plunge.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Grease Monkey

Thought about posting this myself. I gave it a couple of whacks with a heavy rubber mallet, then used a puller. Nice and easy.

80 Wagoneer Limited, 2 bbl 2150, 360, 727TF, NP219, "Moby Dick" Now with Dragonfire HEI, Contour dual fans, CS144,
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
King Browless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyUKnow
or take it to a local alty shop and ask them to remove it
Wish you had made this thread back when I took the cs144 plunge.
Same here.
I will not tell all the embarrassing things I tried, as I had no idea what I was up against.
I do have a nice set of multi-jaw pullers now that would not have otherwise.

...then I was told about this tapered collar...I am like...OH NICE...NOW they tell me!
I made a trip to my local auto electric shop and they took it off for free.
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Dragin Az

Thank you...

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Grease Monkey

Timely post. I just swapped it over last night. Without this tidbit I would have been wasting a lot of time and probably trashing the alternator.

Thanks.