International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Cherokee Blues

A few months back I got a solid straight Cherokee that I thought was gonna be a fairly simple project. Man was I wrong.
Today I finally got around to getting the new fuel pump in and firing it up. Now I'm getting pretty happy she fired right up and sounded good. Look in the radiator no fluid get the hose throw some water in it (just til I can see how well it runs) then smoke starts to rise out of the right hand side of the engine bay don't know where it's comming from. Then water starts shooting out of the freeze plug by #1 cylinder. So I say F it while it's still running and try to see if I have any forward gears in the cherk so I throw it in drive nothing 2nd nothing 1st nothing reverse nothing.
Turn the key off disgusted and go back in the house. I'm in way over my head with this thing I'm fairly sure that it's gonna be some pretty serious money and effort to get this rig in any kind of respectable state. So now I've gotta decide weather to sell it as a parts rig or send it to the scrap yard hate to scrap it cause the body is rust free and all in all it's pretty solid. I just don't know if I wanna spend the next year or two trying to get this thing running. The jeep gods are not being kind to me. Decisions Decisions.

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"
Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 PM

dude that sucks so much im srry for u man i really am i know how much that sucks.

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding
Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Master Mechanic

Sorry to hear that, man that sucks. but on the bright side you have a solid rust free body. that is by far the haredest and most exspensive and time consuming part of any project. my advise, if you don't feel comftorabal doing the work, is to start looking for a good doner drivetrain. keep your head up its just part of the FSJ fun!

'85 Wagoneer

YES i WILL be in ouray in 2013!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

It sucks bad cause I really like Cherokees and had high hopes for this one but I now realize I lack the know how to fix all the stuff that needs fixing on this rig. I'm starting to think I should sell it to someone who has the time and knowhow to fix it up. The good thing is I only paid $400.00 for the rig so I can get at least $300.00 for it if I end up sending it to the scrap yard.

My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 PM

i would sell it or part it out and also did u check the tranny fluid cause it might b low i had the prob b4

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding
Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

yep checked the tranny fluid it's full. If I was gonna do anything as far as drive train and engine go I think I would convert to a CHEVY drive train. I am so bummed right now I feel like taking my shot gun out there and putting that rig out of it's missery.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I still have a nice 76 chero w/401.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
FSJ Maniac

Does it have a low-range? was the T-case maybe in nutural? I would expect not, but have seen it before.
88Wag
87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
83Cherokee WT
82J20
Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinajeep
I still have a nice 76 chero w/401.

I would still love to buy it. I'm just cash poor right now had to sell off a bunch of stuff to buy a new house and it left me pretty broke for the time being. I would love to have that Cherk of yours. Is there a way we could work out some type of arrangement?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtazwrench
Does it have a low-range? was the T-case maybe in nutural? I would expect not, but have seen it before.
Yep it's got a low range and I made sure it was'nt in neutral. I almost forgot about it though. I have an extra partime TC with hubs that I was gonna throw in it but I think I'll just sell that TC and hubs to help fund the purchase of a running Cherokee.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 PM

well all i can say is good luck to ya then.

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding
Old 03-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin wagoneer
well all i can say is good luck to ya then.

Thanks man I'm a little better after blowing off some steam here. I'll probably just look for a running Cherokee and use this one as a parts rig. as it still has alot of good parts on it that would work well on another Cherk. Heck I even have a shiny new razor grill and an HEI ignition I was gonna put on it.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 PM

ya i would keep it for parts like you said i mean i had 2 part trucks and everything else so ya but good luck man let us know if u get one and share pics lol.

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Will do. Theres a fellow in Globe Az that has one I might be able to get. I've got my fingers crossed that he still has it when I get up some $$$ soon.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Rabble Rouser

Don't give up yet. Freeze plug kit is 12 bux. Th400 problems can quickly be diagnosed, only a handful of ways they can fail. Other than that, nothing wrong with ditching it to someone else to deal with, or parting out. Plenty of Chero WTs out there.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Jeep Polygamist

Yeah brother..what the hippie said...if it's a straight Chief it's worth your time and effort.

Freeze plug! Here's what I did when the rubber replacement plug shot out of the '77 J truck the day I was leaving for ECI last year. Not that you would want to follow my lead but...

I drilled a hole in the inner fender and drove a new one in the block with a socket on an extension. Then I drove the thing 4 hrs to URE, wheeled it, broke it, fixed it and drove it the 4 hrs home again. No worries. A new plug isn't even 12 bucks. The kit is and it's a squishable rubber gadget that will likely fail once the engine gets good and hot.

TH400 rebuild kits are around $100. Many a local shop would do it for a couple hundred labor. Shop around you may find it's not as expensive as you thought. I rebuilt one the week before ECI '08. It was my first attempt at an automatic rebuild and I will never pay anyone to do it again. Without having the few specialty tools I had a few troubles, but once I figured out how to assemble the thing it was rather easy.

I say keep it and fix it.

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepstress
"Go forth and be a tool".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Wagoneer
This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Dragin Az

I keep telling him that he has everything, including the necessary knowledge, right across town here and he just stews at home...

Randy, I can get the tranny rebuilt for $450 and the guy warranty's them for a year. the last one he did for me is still going strong after 10 years.
I think we can get that engine to run well enough for you to drive it while we find another for it. I think you are just getting overwhelmed. We just need to take it one system at a time. I have been trying to do 1 thing a day on my project. Even if its something small. It is getting there at a descent pace. I drove it around the yard yesterday. The Dang thing left 3" ruts in the yard...

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 p/u
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'81 Eagle SX/4
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Post up some pictures, solid streight ones are non existant out here, someone might want the whole thing as you look for one that fits your needs better.

Mike D,

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
And the other stuff that gets driven
----------------------------------------
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Rabble Rouser

OR you could always drop 20 bux on a buncha shrimp, get that stuff cookin up nice and smelly, and GSMikeywill wander in from the desert, riding a giant javelina and swigging from a can of peyote juice, and he'll wave his magic wand over your TH400 and BLAMMO! Fixered up good. The only problem is you'll have to run Patron Silver in it afterwards instead of ATF...

keep the faith and don't be afraid to ask for help is my point

and I ain't no hippy, Casey! I just play one on TV.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey
Yeah brother..what the hippie said...if it's a straight Chief it's worth your time and effort.

Freeze plug! Here's what I did when the rubber replacement plug shot out of the '77 J truck the day I was leaving for ECI last year. Not that you would want to follow my lead but...

I drilled a hole in the inner fender and drove a new one in the block with a socket on an extension. Then I drove the thing 4 hrs to URE, wheeled it, broke it, fixed it and drove it the 4 hrs home again. No worries. A new plug isn't even 12 bucks. The kit is and it's a squishable rubber gadget that will likely fail once the engine gets good and hot.

TH400 rebuild kits are around $100. Many a local shop would do it for a couple hundred labor. Shop around you may find it's not as expensive as you thought. I rebuilt one the week before ECI '08. It was my first attempt at an automatic rebuild and I will never pay anyone to do it again. Without having the few specialty tools I had a few troubles, but once I figured out how to assemble the thing it was rather easy.

I say keep it and fix it.

Thats more than likely whats gonna take place. I have a line on a CHEVY drive train that I'm entertaining putting in. Mostly because it's a 6.2L diesel. Been thinking alot about what Jaber said also and freeze plugs are cheap and easy, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed as I'm not very experienced with AMC's. I have even thought of throwing a small block CHEVY in it as I'm very familiar with those and parts are cheap and easy to come by.
I appreciate all the advice and support from you guys and I think I'll keep plugging away at her til I get it done. It just might take a year or two.
Casey Did I see in a thread that you were running a small block CHEVY in one of your rigs?