• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rompn
    350 Buick
    • Dec 30, 2000

Hooking Up Factory Wiring On A Chevy 350 Swap

I'm starting to hook up all of the wiring in the engine compartment on my Chevy 350 swap and need to know where some of these go. I'm running HEI on the 350 and the Jeep is a 79' Cherokee. Thanks.

Last edited by Rompn; 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM.
    Patrick
    INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

Picture #1 shows the connector for your windshield washer pump.

What you really need to do is lay the harness out of the ground and sort it out that way. Then many of the things will become obvious. There are distinct branches to the harness. For example, the windshield washer pump plug is nowhere near the starter solenoid plug (the dual plug with the short rubber piece between it in picture #6 of your original post).

Then take pictures of it. One wide shot and many CLOSE UP shots. LABEL each plug with a letter or number and then we can say "Plug D is for your choke", etc.
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Rompn
      350 Buick
      • Dec 30, 2000

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
      Picture #1 shows the connector for your windshield washer pump.

What you really need to do is lay the harness out of the ground and sort it out that way. Then many of the things will become obvious. There are distinct branches to the harness. For example, the windshield washer pump plug is nowhere near the starter solenoid plug (the dual plug with the short rubber piece between it in picture #6 of your original post).

Then take pictures of it. One wide shot and many CLOSE UP shots. LABEL each plug with a letter or number and then we can say "Plug D is for your choke", etc.
      Thanks for the reply and info. Ya, now I see that the plug in picture # 1 is for the washer pump and the other one next to it must be for the horn.

I tried laying out the harness as best as possible under the hood but I don't want to take it out as I spent part of today putting it in. I'll play around with the photos in Paint and get some labels on them that way.

Since I'm not using the factory starter solenoid on the fender anymore, how does that part of the wiring get hooked up to the new solenoid on the starter? Just cut off both rubber boot connectors and splice both the wires into one new ring connector?
      Patrick
      INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Rompn
        350 Buick
        • Dec 30, 2000

*Bump* in case anyone else has some insight until I label the photos
        Patrick
        INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Chris P.
          350 Buick
          • Oct 12, 2003

Pic #3 goes to the cruise control governor.

Pic #4 looks like the plug that goes to the heater motor resistors on the heater core box.

Pic#5 Ring terminal on right hand side of pic goes the the battery side of starter solenoid.

Pic#6 The two joined connectors go to the starter solenoid.

Pic#7 Fat red wire goes to the alternator along with the white rectangle connector. The purple wire goes to either the temp or oil pressure sender.
          79 J10 Honcho 360/T-18/D20
          Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
          78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Rompn
            350 Buick
            • Dec 30, 2000

Originally posted by Chris P.

Pic #4 looks like the plug that goes to the heater motor resistors on the heater core box.

Pic#5 Ring terminal on right hand side of pic goes the the battery side of starter solenoid.

Pic#7 Fat red wire goes to the alternator along with the white rectangle connector. The purple wire goes to either the temp or oil pressure sender.
            Thanks for the info. That helped out a lot. I started labeling the photos now so there are just a few left I'm unsure about. Also, how does the HEI on the Chevy setup get hooked up? Do new wires have to be ran or can existing ones from the factory harness be used?
            Patrick
            INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Rompn
              350 Buick
              • Dec 30, 2000

BUMP
              Patrick
              INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• The Colonel
                360 AMC
                • Feb 21, 2010

For the HEI I would run your existing ign wire and use it with a relay to get power from the battery. the HEI's can use a lot of current.

Comment

• Rompn
                  350 Buick
                  • Dec 30, 2000

BUMP
                  Patrick
                  INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Rompn
                    350 Buick
                    • Dec 30, 2000

Chris,

I had a buddy of mine come over with a new meter toy and did some testing on the electical for me.

He says that the fat red wire in picture # 7 goes to the positive on the battery where as you were saying it hooks up to the post on the back of the alternator.

Also, he was saying the ring terminal wire in picture # 5 goes to the back of the alternator instead of the battery side of the starter solenoid. Anyway, I just wanted to get your input on it as I would like to see which way is correct.

Lastly, the small gauge black wire with the boot on the end in the upper part of picture # 7, where does it go? We applied power to it and couldn't see what it powers up.

Thanks again for all your help.

* Edit - Well, after spending a few minutes looking through the electrical diagram on www.oljeep.com , it looks like the original way you stated is correct. Any ideas with that last wire at the top of photo # 7 though? Thanks.
                    Last edited by Rompn; 09-22-2010, 07:03 PM.
                    Patrick
                    INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Chris P.
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 12, 2003

What color is the wire?
                      Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                      78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Rompn
                        350 Buick
                        • Dec 30, 2000

What color is the wire?
                        Just double checked it and it's black.

One more thing, my buddy sniped off the double boot connector for the starter solenoid and I now only have one light blue wire going to it. You had mentioned both wires were supposed to go there. I looked around the engine bay and didn't see the other wire hanging anywhere so I'm confused with that as well. Thoughts?
                        Patrick
                        INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Chris P.
                          350 Buick
                          • Oct 12, 2003

It looks a lot like the A/C clutch wire. Are you sure its not brown?

The blue wire is what triggers the solenoid. The other one provided 12v to the coil during cranking on the stock ignition system. Now that you have HEI, you don't need it.
                          Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                          78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Rompn
                            350 Buick
                            • Dec 30, 2000

It looks a lot like the A/C clutch wire. Are you sure its not brown?

The blue wire is what triggers the solenoid. The other one provided 12v to the coil during cranking on the stock ignition system. Now that you have HEI, you don't need it.
                            Ah yes, that sounds about right. It's dark out right now so I'll check again in the morning but it sure looked black. Could be a dark brown with gunk maybe on the wire from over the years.

Ok gotcha, thanks. So I take it the ignition wire now goes straight into the HEI port on the distributor? No relay?
                            Patrick
                            INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Chris P.
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 12, 2003

That would work, but its probably better to run the HEI power through a relay and trigger it with the ignition switch.
                              Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                              78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

Working...
                              X