International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 03-06-2010, 11:50 PM
258 I6

Project TREC Racer

Hello All,

I've been away from the FSJ scene for the past few years, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself as I kick off a project with a buddy of mine. Hopefully you'll like it.

My background is that I bought a 1975 Wagoneer in 1997. I joined the FSJ mailing list shortly after. For the next few years I rebuilt the engine, trans, t-case, axles, re-did the floors, swapped seats, trimmed fenders, and did some light wheeling with it.

With a growing family, lap-only belts, and more interest in building a rockcrawler I lost interest and it's been parked in my barn and getting driven just a few times a year. (booo!)

Recently a buddy raced in the TREC series at Badlands Offroad park in Indiana and said he had a blast and poked at me saying I should put something together. An idea popped into my head about what to race in their "stock" class, and with the stout factory running gear, my interest in building another FSJ was rekindled.

http://www.trecwithus.com/

Not wanting to trash my 75 Wag, I put up an ad on a local board looking for a FSJ that had been bought to be stripped of its running gear. I came up with two Wags in about 2 weeks. After dragging both of them home, we decided the 86 Wag was the better candidate.

The new rules came out a bit ago, and there is now a C-class that we will be running. The rules are pretty basic in this class with the big thing being that you have to run axles sold in that model line (so we can run D27, D30, D44, AMC 20, D60 and maybe even D60/D70 M715 axles if we want to push it). Similar rules are for the rest of the drivetrain, and you can only modify with off the shelf parts. There's more, but that get's the basics down.

So this is how it started. This 88 had been sitting in the woods with the windows down for a couple of years. I got it from a fellow IFSJA'r who wants the engine, t-case, and axles back. We'll be using the engine and 33" Swampers from my 75 Wag, the 727 trans from this, and a 208 t-case and axles from an 82 Wag.

We started stripping out the interior knowing there would be some floorboard rot. The pass side isn't too bad, but the driver's is loooong gone.

By this point, all of the glass is out since by the rules we can either pull it or tape it off. We figured it was easier and lighter to remove. We pulled the front clip off as one piece to make it easier to prep for drivetrain removal. We removed the windshield and dash since we won't need any of that either.

So here's the patch job so far on the pass side. I still have the back corner to do, and I hate doing that section. I also will fill in the holes in the dash that we don't plan to reuse.

Here's the driver's side. After cleaning out most of the rotten metal, there ain't much left. My buddy bent up some new hat channel and I'll start skinning it.

I'll post up updates as we move along. The first race is early April, but I don't think we'll make it for that. The next race is mid-May; and I hope to be ready for that.

Last edited by JohnnyJ : 03-20-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:37 AM

Welcome back! That's quite an ambitious build you have going. I look forward to seeing more of your great work. Congrats on the rekindled love for the game. Best of luck for making the deadline to race day and one more for the win!

Cheers,

http://s932.photobucket.com/home/ope...view=slideshow
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
258 I6

I removed the gas tank and exhaust today. I was nervous how the frame would be behind the gas tank, but it was nice and solid.

Tonight I started on the floorboard on the driver's side. It's going to be a few pieces to work with all the bends on the driver's side.

Last edited by JohnnyJ : 03-07-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Gear Head

I dont see how a waggy would be suited for that comp Dont get me wrong, im all about the fsjs and seeing them compete is the SH^%. I am a supporter of you, and will follow your progress (given input) LMK if there is anything i can do to help I have mad fab thkills
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
350 Buick

Nice looking hat channel. That floor's just as bad as mine was, along with the cab mount closest to the door hinge. Work looks good!
Now in black primer.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
258 I6

The talk seems to be that a 5.9 ZJ is the vehicle of choice, but one of the guys is already complaining about his unibody falling apart after the first season and I believe he broke during a few races. Our hope is that we can race the Wag for as long as we stay interested.

From what I can find, a Wag weighs 4480lbs and a 5.9 ZJ 4200. So not a huge weight penalty. Since there is limited drivetrain swaps in the class, I think the weight gain is used on important things like a torquey V8 (TBI AMC 360), heavy duty trans (TF-727), durable t-case (NP-208) and axles (D44, AMC 20), and full frame.

Compare this to a 5.9 ZJ and it compares in most every place, winning in some (frame vs unibody, axles) and only loses ground in coils vs leafs. But leafs are simple and durable. Hopefully that means we can beat on this thing for 2 hours at time driving through wooded trails.

I've got a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks (monotube) that should be on par with what most are running for shocks, since this is a budget class. I know that my 75 floats along on spirited trail rides, so I'm hoping that we can keep up with those fancy 90s Jeeps.

And most of all, we just want to have some fun. It's better than sitting home and watching reruns on the tube. The entry fees are low, and the return is low. We've got minimal money in it, probably what some will have in base vehicle purchase price.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 PM
FSJ Maniac

Great work!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Dragin Az

Subscribed....

I'll be watchin. Always wanted to do something like this, just not the time or money.

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
258 I6

I took a few nights off, but was out there again tonight. I'm pretty happy with how the firewall is turning out. Now to reconnect the tunnel.

Here you can see the length of the piece. Tomorrow night my buddy and I are supposed to work on a crossmember for the B-hoop of the cage, so I stopped the panel shorter than I could have.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Gear Head

How much weight can you drop to keep within limits? This will be a fun one to follow.

Is CRAWL going agine?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 AM
258 I6

Yep, Crawl is going again under new owners. That pic is of my little jeep that was in the mag from a trail ride I went on a few years ago.

There aren't any weight specs in the rules. But within the class we will run the rules would limit weight savings to stripping everything we don't need out of the vehicle. Here's most of the rules I could find quickly that would limit what we can do for weight savings:

2.1.1.4.1 Class C is intended to resemble and keep vehicles as close to stock as possible and still be safe to race
4.2.6.7.1 Overall body measurements (height & width) must conform to OEM specifications for proclaimed vehicle.
4.2.6.6.10 Tailgates may be removed.
4.2.6.7.5 Repaired panels are acceptable.
4.2.6.7.6 Complete floors must be maintained.
4.2.6.7.8 It is recommended that all glass be removed. All non-safety glass must be taped completely.
4.2.6.7.9 Doors may not be removed.
4.2.6.7.10 No major cutting or trimming of any part of the Tub
4.4.3.1 Must have at least factory bumpers.
4.9.5.1 All frames must meet OEM configuration (dimensions, height, width, length, number and location of cross members)
4.9.5.4 No tube or partial tube frames allowed.
4.19.5.3 Wheel base must remain stock.

So, most of the tricks that the upper classes would do, we are limited from. Which is good because it keeps the cost down. I'm looking forward to rolling this thing across the scales when we are done to see where it's at.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
258 I6

Thursday my buddy stopped by and he worked on boxing the frame from the body mount under the seat back to the fixed rear spring mount. We will be tying the b-hoop of the cage into that area, so we figured it could use some extra strength. I forgot to grab a pic of it.

While he worked at that, I poked at the floor some more and then finished another section tonight.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

MUST.

Have....

UPDATES!
One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:15 PM
258 I6

I've been working on the corners by the rear doors. What a PITA.

But I'm close to the finish line! Here's it with some templates.

And the passenger side. I worked on this earlier, but didn't upload the pics.

I can't wait to cover this all up with paint some bedliner. It'll be much purtier.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Dude, your right on about using an FSJ. I've been attending some SCORE races and reciently at the Parker 400. My son races in the Class 1 Unlimited for a sponsered team. At the Parker I noticed a class called Jeep Speed. Sounds similar to your class. I think it's class 8 at SCORE.

Most use the unibody Jeeps, but they grandfather any FSJ. Most of the desert racing seems to be done with IFS 2wd vehicles. But they used to do it with solid axel 4x4's.

Some observations I noticed and looking at the rules got me stoked to try it. I have an extra 89 parts wagg. The weight is in the doors, and tail gate. Build tube doors and skin them with the old sheet metal. You don't need a tail gate. They make you keep the roof and your going to have to cage the thing. You cut the heck out of the tire wells as long as it still looks like a wag.

They limit your wheel travel.

You need a fuel cell in the back so you can get rid of your old tank and skid. One guy had a 100 gal. cell to limit pits.

Everything was stripped from inside and a simple aluminum dash with relivent switches and gages.

You have to keep the type of engine, but you can add aluminum anything.

Lots of electric fans and coolers.

At the Parker, a JeepSpeed finished in the top 10. The guy with the big fuel cell. Slow and steady wins the race.

You are now my hero. I'm watching this thread.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
258 I6

Thanks for the kind words djongeward. We are definitely pouring over the rules looking for where we can save weight.

Tonight I went back out after the kids went to bed and had some more good progress. I hit a big milestone in the project: I was able to set a seat in place and make vroom vroom noises.

The last two panels will stay cleco'd in until after the b-hoop of the cage is in. That should allow a bit easier access to the frame for tying it in. After that I can finish up the small stuff including fixing the b-piller.

Here you can see the flange I made into the panel to tie into the b-pillar.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
258 I6

We started on the roll cage before I went on vacation for a week with the family. I'll try and grab some pics after we get the cage a bit further this week.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 PM

trec racer

looks good keep it up. just one dumb question. what is trec?
33''bfg all terrains
homemade flatbed
razor grille
401 rebuild started
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
258 I6

gvillejeeper - check the link in the 1st post. It's basically a 2 hour offroad endurance race.

I spent some time making patch panels for holes left behind on the firewall for stuff we're not going to use (heater, a/c, stock fuse block, etc) over the weekend. It was a good get back into it project.

Tonight my buddy stopped by and we worked on the cage some more. This takes forever trying to figure out how to do it. We've got the driver's side a-pillar in place and the bends for the pass side done but it needs final fitting.

We tucked it up as much as we could to try and give us max headroom. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to finish up the pass side and get everything tacked in place and start running the crosspieces which should be quick since it'll all be straight pieces.

Last edited by JohnnyJ : 04-13-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM

What's with the bicycle brake lever?

Looking thru this thread is giving me flashbacks to my current Scout project, and upcoming FSJ project