International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Continue with the project as is?
Yes, quit being an perfectionist jerk and finish it! 27 25.00%
No, do it right or don't do it at all...MAN UP! 56 51.85%
What? 2 1.85%
Pie! 23 21.30%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Master Mechanic

Blair Jeep Project III

Finally got the time, funds and motivation to give The Blair III a makeover.
I picked this one up in May for 1300.00 and since I was out of town all summer, I didn't get to do much with it till now.
The Chief is a '77 but titled as a '74, which is fine with me since this makes it smog exempt. (Does Happy Dance)
It has a freshly built 81 360 with a mild performance cam (Somewhat lumpy so I would guess around 260 degrees duration), Fresh TH400, QT with P/T kit, Dana 44s F/R with open 3:73s, additional 33 gallon fuel tank and 3" exhaust through a flowmaster.
I've already replaced the radiator with a NEW one from Eagle Radiator (Diamond Springs, CA), removed the carpet and padding. Cleaned and converted the rust pitted floor boards, added factory rubber base and purchased black seats and interior panels.
The rig had 3" blocks in the rear, so I added two long front shackles from a late model Ram pickup list kit till I can order a 6" kit from B&Js...so no wise-cracks about the shackles!!!
I chose to leave the Jeep factory blue and began bodywork last week. The problem areas are the left front fender and flare, right fender, left rear quarter, tailgate, right rear quarter and the right rear flare.
Compared to the jeeps I owned in Montana, this one is VERY clean indeed. Some weenie added a swinging tire rack to the back and mucked the quarter and gate up, and a r/r tire blowout took out the rusty flare and rocker panel.
I put in a couple of good afternoons into the left fender and door and got some primer shot tonight before things started to rust. I did alot of plug welding to get rid of the holes left behind from three separate mirror installs as well as repairing and re-attaching the fender extension. I got impatient and missed a few divots in the door as well as a few dimples in my flare repair so tomorrow or the next day I'll re-visit those items.
I have plenty of time to do this so I will attempt to do this one right!
Thanks for letting me share the project with the rest of you FSJ addicts!

77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Last edited by Tatsadasayago : 02-26-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Master Mechanic

Looks great so far, what did you use to get all that paint off? Wire wheel?
Did you use any body filler?
Can't wait to see more progress
Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Looks good so far

What color are you going with?
Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Old 12-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jMedia
Looks great so far, what did you use to get all that paint off? Wire wheel?
Did you use any body filler?
Can't wait to see more progress
Heya! I used a Sears 5" electric DA to bust down the old pant then a longboard with 80 grit to find the low spots. I'd climbed up to 180 before primer. I tried to avoid filler but some places required it ie; around the L/F fender flare damage and the mirror hole areas. Where possible I used dollies, spoons and shrinking files to get the metal straight....and those doors skins are VERY THIN on 77s I discovered. I've used about a tennis ball-sized amount of filler so far.
Seems a previous owner was either a Ham, CB'r or scanner junkie as I've found 4 locations where antenna mounts had been cut into the body and closed up poorly. This is probabl Karma for when I used to do that to vehicles hehehe.
77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by men in black
Looks good so far

What color are you going with?
Thanks!
I'm sticking with the metallic blue factory color. I'm thinking of using gloss black instead of vinyl decals for the lower stripes and still up in the air about the flat black around the windows. I have a louvered hood for this rig and if I use it, I'll gloss the hood out to the detail lines and carry it along the body lines to the tailgate .
If I use the standard hood, I'll flat black it to reduce glare and take it all the way back in the same manner.

I know it may look gaudy...but I am liking the idea of having a set of the cherokee chief letters made in white and place them over the lower black stripe in the factory location. I think the white over black with blue surrounding it would look very 70s and possibly even look good.

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM

Looking good.
Sooo....does your Ram Charger have an AMC 360 in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM
FSJ Maniac

Nice job!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 710 Burner
Looking good.
Sooo....does your Ram Charger have an AMC 360 in it?
HAHAHA!
No, it's got a 70 440 Six Pak.

The only AMC parts on it is the spare distributor drive gear, timing set and alternator in the back for when I need to rescue one of my 'Ramblers'!

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsadasayago

I love the smell of primer in the morning!!!

Looking good! Keep the pics and nice work coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.

84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5
Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Gear Head

Now if your bonehead of a brother would have told me this BACK in MAY i wouldnt have got rid of so much crap when i sold the chief............................................. ......

Yep the Blair Jeep project gave your identity away.

Congrats anything i can find around here to help i'll bring over to you. Do you want to put a 6.2L boat anchor in there? or are you still oogling over that .512 lift cam out of the old 401....

Learning how to program GM TBI right now so when you are ready and decide to go the route of EFI we can put our heads together on a junkyard combo.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."
Old 12-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Dragin Az

Nicely done!!!!

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 12-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Master Mechanic

Bonehead is an understatement! HAHAHA

How are ya doing Dustpan?
Yeh, I was reading the tech article about salvage yard EFI earlier and the gears n wheels began turning since I'm handy with computers n stuff.
I've got plenty to keep me busy for the forseeable future and am hoping to make a Hangover Run with this biatch on the 1st.

Thanks for saying hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
Now if your bonehead of a brother would have told me this BACK in MAY i wouldnt have got rid of so much crap when i sold the chief............................................. ......

Yep the Blair Jeep project gave your identity away.

Congrats anything i can find around here to help i'll bring over to you. Do you want to put a 6.2L boat anchor in there? or are you still oogling over that .512 lift cam out of the old 401....

Learning how to program GM TBI right now so when you are ready and decide to go the route of EFI we can put our heads together on a junkyard combo.

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 12-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Master Mechanic

Well this week was full of surprises and some struggles....
Upon my last post, I'd just shot the first coat of primer on the left fender and drivers door.
When the 'Primer' dried, I discovered that Duplicolor had mis-labeled the can. It turned out to be their WHITE color paint....not primer.
I stripped the semi-glossy stuff off and shot again with REAL primer. I noticed right away that I'd missed quite a few spots that needed more attention than I'd given them. The drivers door still had odd marks around the old tripod mirror mounting holes that looked like the lacquer primer had lifted the filler away from the bare steel. The left fender had the same issue wherever I used a fine layer of filler to finish over my metal repairs.
Apparenly lacquer reducer likes to attack thin layers of polyester and I should have used a sealer over these areas prior to priming. Lesson learned.
I struggled all week on the leading edge of the left fender flare....just couldn't get the metal to behave....then saw the mess after priming.
Finally got it down to only needing an edge repair with filler and a good pre-prime sanding to make the extensive damage invisible.

The next step was to remove the filler in the left quarter panel where some sort of heavy bracket was mounted at some point...and 'repaired' with lots of mud.
I took it all down to the metal and was rewarded with three LARGE holes and several small ones hidden under the bondo.
I pulled the inner panel and placed a porta-power and block of wood behind the skin and started slapping and hammering the panel and holes as flat as I could.

After slapping, shrinking, hammering and alot of cussing at the thin sheetmetal, I chose to add a piece of sheet steel over the area to keep it stable. I could move the existing metal with a slight finger poke and didn't want flexing metal problems later. I mig'd the metal over the area and floated the transitions with filler. (Broke my rule of NO BONDO IF POSSIBLE)

The rest of the quarter was very straightforward. I used the airboard with 80g to guide me for highs and lows (Many of them)then used the slapping file and spoon to get things straight. The area above the first shoulder and below the window was heavily rippled/wavy....but the steel is stronger there and went back flat easily with the spoon and file. The hassle was getting the dolly in the proper place behind the repair area. The porta-power and many 2x4 blocks helped get things lined up with pressure behind the dolly.
I prepped the steel with 180g using the electric DA, manual longboard and the electric square sander.

Still have a few bobbles in the left fender and door to deal with as well as a couple of oopsies at the repair panel area. I cannot stress enough the importance of good lighting. Had I planned this project better, I'd have lined the walls with one or two runs of horizontal florescent shop lights so I could see every little ding, wave or divot. Would have saved me a bunch of time going back over an area I'd thought was ready to paint.

Considering how many 'warts' this part of the project had, I am fairly happy with the progress to Primer at this point.
The Next stage is the tailgate........UGH

Stay tuned for that ugliness in a few days.

So far, I am into this project the following amounts:
145.00 Primer, color and clear
62.45 Abrasives: DA disks, longboard, 5" Electric DA disks etc.
655.00 4 HVLP paint guns, porta power, sanders, air hoses/fittings, body tools and misc. tools

See you for the next update!

Sacramento, CA USA

Last edited by Tatsadasayago : 12-19-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Master Mechanic

I finally got some things done to the Blair Jeep this week....

I stripped the tailgate and after removing the decal I started noticing alot of flex in the sheeting around the center of the panel above the license plate alcove. I looked around inside and saw a large crack forming beyond the obvious damage. Thinking I might be better off getting another gate, I decided to bag this one in favor of the one on the GagOneer.

I said PHOOEY on this and pulled the gate off (By myself) which went VERY easily without the glass installed.
The trick is to remove two of the three hinge bolts, but leave the solo one alone till you raise the gate till it just about latches. Removing this bolt releases the hinge without any popping or banging!
The torsion springs stay with the gate and the hinge for a nice neat package for re-installing.
Wiring was interesting. I located the harness plugs right behind the left rear spring hangar and pulled the connectors apart....and removed the ground to the shackle bracket. There was NO WAY I was going to be able to pull wires through the hardened sheath that runs up through the floor to the gate. I tried for 3 hours and finally gave up. I cut all the wires midway between the motor/switches and fed them out the hole. The donor gate will be cut long as well which will allow me to place a barrier strip somewhere accessible so the next time I need to remove the gate I'll just pull the spade connectors from the vehicle side and feed the wires out without cutting anything.
So, the next move was to the right rear quarter cap which was the location of a home-brew tire and gas can rack.
I knew this would be ugly....and of course it was.....and then some.

From the damage I saw on the tailgate, I figured this plate was covering some ugly welding sins.

This is the lower rack hinge and as you can see someone wasn't shy about making a huge welding blob for me to sort through. I could see cracking on the tailgate side and the outer side flexed oddly when I leaned on the hinge.

When I removed the steel plate I found another thinner one welded over the sheet metal as expected. On with the goggles and ON with the grinder......

After removing the second plate I found this mess. It seems the rack with a tire/wheel and two gas cans was just too much for the sheet metal so this looks to be a repair of the carnage.

After using the roto-zip with a cut-off wheel I was able to get through the welds on the lower hinge. No sooner did I release those welds then the stressed metal around it cracked out leaving this ugly hole. I decided to remove the whole cap and use a good one from a donor rig.

To my surprise, drilling out the spot-welds and running a sawz-all between the quarter skin and the cap took about 30 minutes before the cap was sitting on the floor!
I started a gap with the roto-zip/cut-off to make a slot wide enough for the saw blade and simply split the spotwelds as I went. Since I plan on brazing the cap back in, I wasn't worried about messing up the seam too much. Only one slight boo boo when I got out of the gap and into the quarter skin about a 16" before stopping.

There is quite a gap in the lower body filler panel so when I cut the donor I'll have to be sure to cut deeper toward the center to make sure I have enough metal to fill this in.

Next up, The right rear quarter panel extension and fender flare.....Yipeeeee

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 12-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Master Mechanic

With the rear quarter cap off I decided to focus on the next ugly mess by the right rear tire.....

Of course the rear of the flare had rusted out and was weak. According to the kid I bought the rig from, he had an explosive tire blowout that sent the steel belt into the flare and quarter panel extension.

First things first.
I grabbed my wonderful 89.00 porta-power and stuffed it into the inner quarter.

You can see the nice strong 3 layer lap seam at the top of the body shoulder. Plenty strong so no need for a 2x4 block to make things difficult.
I used the grippy spud attachment on the lower side and placed it directly onto the peak of the dented metal.

A few strokes of the lever later I was fairly flush with the rest of the extension. I re-positioned the spud on the top of that creased part of the inner vertical panel and things got straight in a hurry.

Now that the lower part of the quarter extension was fairly straight I then turned my attention to the flare....

I used a hard rubber mallet and beat the daylights out of hte inner flare metal until it unwound the rusted wad you see below.

I got what was left of the bottom of the flare as straight as I could and laid the inner flare panel back down where it should be.
I took the roto-zip and cut-off wheel to the flare and cute a rectangle around the rusty stuff and ran the long lines down to the bottom. I was going to use my air nibbler till I remembered a wise man saying that rust will dull them in a heartbeat. Thanks to whoever the IFSJ'r that was!

As you can see, I left the existing edges wherever possible when I straightened and cut. This gives me a semi-solid place to lay in my repair sheet metal as well as being a guide so I get the right contour.

I got a piece of thin cardboard and made a template from the left side flare which is intact.
Lining everything up I made some index marks so I can place the template in the same spot every time.

I'll go to home-depot tomorrow and snap up a few sheets of the hot rolled steel sheeting for the replacement metal. It's cheap, forms fairly easily and most important to me.....brazes VERY well.
While I'm out and about I'll also hit the welding shop for some copper strip heat sink materials so I don't warp the steel when I am ready to braze everything back in.

I'll also be shrinking that extension down more and dollying things straight so I won't need to use much if any filler. This is one place where sand and rocks can beat the paint right off mud so I'll settle for wrinkles and divots before putting mud in there.

See you next time!

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 AM
327 Rambler

Be careful clicking on this link that takes you to Sacramento killers. Messed/ locked up my computer. May be just my computer but it did not happen until I clicked the link. I have since rebooted and run a scan.
1989 Champion 184DCB - Bass boat
Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Your doing an awesome job. Please keep the picks and updates comming.I look forward to seeing the progress and the final outcome this rig is gonna be awesome.

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Master Mechanic

Thanks VT!
Grabbed a pair of 89 GW electric mirrors today while I was scrounging parts for the other guys.

8.00 at Home Depot netted me an 18"x24" sheet of 18g sheet metal so I'll start on the cap and rear flare tomorrow hopefully.

I had forgotten about the Viaair onboard system I got from my brother last fall....so now I'm hunting a nice location for the tank.

I also bought a 'racy' TH400 and two D20s from him that may or may not go in before the Chief rolls out of the garage.

The 401 in the GagOneer got water in it after my roomie borrowed my Edelbrock......so that will have to come out and be torn down
Might end up putting it in the chief to complete the 'Package'.

TTYL and thanks for the words of support!

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Master Mechanic

W00T!

I got a rare case of motivation and got busy on the tailight surround and R/R fender flare today and got much farther than I expected!

I murdered a nice 89 GW for the surround and started this morning by drilling out the spot welds to get the excess metal away from the cap.
Once that was done I began straightening the cap for proper fitment.
I did learn that there IS a difference between the 89 GW and 77 Chief....Minor, but caused some heartburn.

Right where the yellow extension cord meets the quarter in the picture above you can see a large puddle weld. From there to the point where the body line turns sharply upward is a 5/8" half teardrop gap. The 89quarter doesn't flare out at this point like the older ones do.
Just a heads-up!

I got the cap fitted then tacked it as you see above. I also grabbed a section of the valence from the donor to fill in the ugliness left behind from that lamer tire rack hinge monstrosity.

Here you can see that I sectioned in the valence piece and welded the cap into place.
I left the factory gap on the valence alone so it matches the other side. Other than a few holes blown through the existing sheetmetal, this part went fast.

I did run into some hassles with the lower part of the end cap since it didn't have the same shape as my quarter panel....so lots of clamping then welding to get things to fit.

I ground down my welds and prepped the surface with 60 grit.

Welds are hidden and the surface is smooth!

Then it was time to tackle the one part I was dreading the most.......the rotted fender flare.

I took my cardboard template and marked out the shape on the 18g steel sheet I picked up from Home Depot, then dragged out my air nibbler and got busy.

I left the bottom edge 1/2" long for a rolled edge. I walked over to check my cut and was astounded that the cut was perfect! I simply rolled the sheet metal along the flare to get the proper turn....fiddled with the radius pie cuts at the bottom...hand braked the bottom and checked for fit.
Pffft! I grabbed the welder and tacked the thing on and was ready for filler within 30 minutes!!!!!
I got so far so fast I forgot to take pictures until I had finished for the night.

I've got some high welds that need to be taken down as well as getting the flare to quarter transition smoother.
I admit I got lazy and didn't bother shrinking/dollying the quarter to perfection after all.
Now you all can call my Chief a Bondo Buggy and I cannot disagree!!

Tomorrow I'll finish out the lower radius and get everything smooth. I may even get this and the rest of the quarter panel in primer before I knock off for the night.

Thanks for hanging with me and following this project!

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 01-03-2010, 05:21 AM
FSJ Maniac

Very impressive work done!!!