• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

ignition failure - 88 GW

While I was in Las Cruces 2 weeks ago, I had electrical nightmares that killed the ignition on the trail. The orange "key on" power wire coming off the oil pressure switch for the electric choke was melted all the way to the firewall. This fried a coil and at least 2 ignition modules. It appears the melted wire had shorted to the yellow wire that goes to the coil and the light blue wire that goes between the dizzy and ignition module. The yellow coil wire uses a stretch of resistor wire for it's power feed (older models used a ballast resistor) that drops the voltage down for the coil. So the coil got full battery power during the melt down causing the coil failure and the light blue wire between the dizzy and ignition module causing module failure. So, the problem was twofold and was a PITA to trouble shoot on the trail without a wiring diagram.

During the trail fix, we got the offensive orange wire removed up to the firewall since none of the accessories it powered are being used any more and pulled the melted wires apart. The oil pressure switch the orange wire was attached to is shorted causing the whole problem. I was able to drive home 540 miles after that mess.

Today I confirmed this orange wire is indeed melted all the way to the ignition switch and the wire bundle under the dash is compromised. The ignition switch is burnt inside as well. I am darn glad I did not have a dash or engine fire from the short. Looks like I will have to drop the steering column to get to the wiring for closer inspection and repair.

what a deal...
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Wow. That is kinda unusual.
    Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
    Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

WOW .. Good save and glad you were able to get it back home without a meltdown.

I was asked at work just the other day how I could take a risk in dragging my old Jeep out there to Ouray for a meet. After a brief razzing on me not getting my own Jeep on the mountain yet, my reply was; Because the guys I wheel with know these rigs well and some have built them from ground up I fear no breakdown. It's the motorcycles I fear .

Hope Wally feels better soon
      Tom Gibson
      1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
      1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
      1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
      2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• bigun
        • Feb 10, 2003

Wow I hope you saved a harness or 2 from the rigs you have parted out
        charlie
        KB0HXA
        "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
        congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
        How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
        Robert A. Heinlein
        The birth of CROM is recorded here
        http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• fulsizjeep
          Señor Jackhead
          • Aug 21, 2002

Thanks. I thought that oil pressure switch was to kill the ignition if engine lost pressure. I studied two different wiring diagrams before digging in to it. Wrong, it is for choke power. It shorted, big as day. We have lots of wire saved from parts rigs. I need to get some heat shrink, loom and some other electrical supplies. I also realized this Jeep has had some repairs before my time. The wiring to the alternator has been redone. Oh, and the reason it quit charging on the way home was the 2 wire plug popped out of the alternator. Yeah, it is time to touch lots of wire.

Since 2002, I have been starting it with a push button switch hot wired to starter after the front drive shaft sheared off and ripped the wiring off the tranny and tcase. No neutral safety. I fixed that POS today and can start it with the key again.
          Last edited by fulsizjeep; 10-24-2009, 11:53 PM.
          Flint
          Ran when parked.
          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods

Comment

• janie
            • Aug 11, 2001

Glad you made it home without further issue Flint. Wiring................put on your patience cap

One other thought. You sure you wanna put used wiring in Wally?
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

What I save from the scrapper is the stuff under the dash and inside the cabin that has not been exposed to the elements. It is good for repairs like this. I plan to replace the ignition switch and run a new power feed from where the orange wire was connected and use it to power the Jacobs and eventually a HEI. I like the 1 wire approach. The HEI unit Krista ordered from Zack is going in Phoebe. That Jeep has also had ignition challenges over the years. That's the way momma wants it and since she jumped through hoops to get the HEI, I am compliant.
              Flint
              Ran when parked.

Comment

• SVO42
                350 Buick
                • Aug 27, 2003

Maybe I transferred some bad ignition karma from my dad's Jeep to yours when we made it to Ouray this year.

If it was me, I'd ditch most of the wiring, esp. since fire did part of that for you, get a points distributor and go with a Pertronix Ignitor. If this '88 of my dad's (not the '87 that didn't make it to Ouray) has any ignition failures that's what's going to happen with it.

Just remember with wiring, be patient and use a digital multimeter and triple check everything. Good luck!
                Bryan's vehicles at the Joplin (Full Size) Jeep Refuge:
                1988 Grand Wagoneer (on extended loan)
                1988 Grand Wagonner (tornado victim)
                1987 Grand Wagoneer (formerly mine, now my dad's, also a tornado victim)
                1994 Ford Explorer XL rollin' on 1-tons and 40s

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                  • Mar 20, 2005

Yikes Flint!

This wire seems to be an Achille's Hill of FSJ's (I know, one of many!)

Mine also crapped out on me and was the cause of many a headache. Twice, it shorted out and flew fusible links. Then it decided to slowly melt my ignition switch.

You can trace it back from the ignition switch to the heater fuse on the fuse box. Replace that portion of the wire, and as you mentioned, the rest of it goes to the choke heater circuit. That wire ALSO powers the anti-diesel solenoid on the carb.

As you found out, it is NOT fused at all except for the fusible link which will also take out the rest of the ignition system and leave you dead in the water.

When I finally repaired mine, I found that my alternator suddenly worked AS IT SHOULD. It no longer dropped in voltage when I had the A/C or heater fans running.
                  Ethan Brady
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• NVJEEPER
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 24, 2006

What timing I was trying to figure out why my electric choke was not getting power and...HUH...powered from the sending unit I was wanting to ask on here, but my Wag seems to be an Oddball I have no choke...the HEI is great, pump it and it will lite off. I left the wire off.
                    I now have more 710 psi too(still 0 @ idle warm ). I wanted to hook my electric choke to the driving light switch...no power there either. I don't need no high amp alternator, just keep loosing the lode.
                    Damon
                    '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• andy d
                      Shade Tree Shaman
                      • May 06, 2000

I used parts from 3 different wiring harnesses, and new loom to re-hab the new 88's engine bay during the Great engine transplant of '03. With the exception of a fried coil wire, it has held up pretty well. I am not impressed by AMC's wiring or Chryco's. 20 odd yrs down the road, no electric calamity would surprise me.
                      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                        Murphy's Law Poster Child
                        • Dec 03, 2003

When the little yellow wire to the voltage regulator went out on my '76 it disabled the entire ignition, fried 2 pickup modules and I could not figure out why. As long as your HEI doesn't burst into flames like mine did it is definately the way to go!
                        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                        '88 GW
                        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
                        X