International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 PM

Overhead console lights are erratic-- FIXED

My 89 Grand Wagoneer with overhead console acted up today. There is something wrong with the overhead light circuit from what I can tell. Here is what is going on:

- The two courtesy lights near the front doors work fine
- The reading lights (both front set and rear set, as well as the cargo light) will NOT turn on if the courtesy lights are on (and the rear reading lamps as well as the dome light act as a courtesy along with the front two bulbs when the door is open)
- If I hold in the door jamb switch/shut the door, I can get ONE of the lights to come on, but very dimly. If I try to turn another one on, they all dim out.
- If I turn the cargo lamp switch to ON, none of the lights will come on.
- The vanity lamps on the visor will also dim if I try to turn on a reading lamp when they are on and vice versa.
- If I remove the cargo light bulb, NONE of the lights in this circuit will come on.

I'm not really that experienced with electronics, but it seems like the circuit may be starved of power. I've pulled all the door jamb switches, but no luck.

I've been using this wiring diagram to look for problems, but I am not good at reading them:
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/90_numeric...8W_Page-24.jpg

I know that this diagram is from a 1990, but I am assuming that they are the same (since the 88's didn't have overhead consoles). Any ideas on what to check out?

Last edited by dflocks80 : 10-25-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 PM

Alright, so I broke bad and vacuumed out the Wagoneer tonight. Lo and behold, the lights came back on! I was pretty happy about this. Anyway, I went to spray Frebreeze on the carpet to freshen it up, and I shut the door. When I opened it back up, they went off again...

Anyway, it has been raining here both last night and all day today (which is when the problem occured) so my theory is as follows:

Something is getting wet that isn't supposed to be. I dried it up when I vacuumed, but I re-wet it with the Frebreeze. Does this sound plausible?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Gear Head

This is so weird that you posted this. I have been slowly putting my interior in and today got to the headliner. The only thing I did was remove covers and bulbs. I put all new bulbs in today and hooked everything back up and it stayed on with no key (very dim). The same things you listed are happening to me.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:13 AM

The lights are back on and working again, but I went out and bought some Damprid to dry the inside of it out (my windshield always fogs on the inside for no reason...?). Hopefully the moisture is the problem.

Silvercert, you may just need to vacuum yours out. Failing overhead lights may be a factory feature to let you know that your interior is dirty.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Gear Head

I think im covered with the cleaning part...lol

Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM
232 I6

It sounds like you both are having wiring shorts. where two wires are touching in the harness somewhere. I would start with a simple ohm meter, and the wiring diagram, printed version. Wiring is very overwhelming but you just have to be patient.

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/k...view=slideshow

2002 jeep Wrangler "T.J." (D.D.)

2000 Honda 929RR "Bumblebee" (TRASHED 12/24/09)
--latest project!

Raleigh NC.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 PM

Sounds like a bad ground to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Gone. Not Forgotten.

The lights have power all the time, the door switches provide ground to turn them on, sounds more like cruddy contacts or a pinched grounded wire to the door or dash switch.

Mike D.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 PM

I permanently fixed this problem about a week ago, so I thought I would post it in case someone runs into this problem later on. Anyway, my cowl drains were backed up, so I had water coming in my air vents and going under my carpet (fixing that is my current project). When I was pulling back the carpet to dry up the floorboard, I noticed the lights were flickering. I saw two plugs under the carpet near the driver's seat. One of the plugs connects 4 wires (a black, pink, orange/black, and dark blue/white if memory serves me correctly). Anyway, the plug was so badly corroded from the water that two of the wires fell out when I moved it.

I cut out the plug, and a few butt-connectors and jumpers later, I was back in business. Now, if I can fix the cowl problem (which I am almost done with), this problem shouldn't ever come back.
Leaks oil, needs a lift, but is mechanically sound.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Master Mechanic

Glad to see you got it fixed. I am having a similar problem, among others, with my '89 GW so I am going to check that connection myself. Thanks.

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 PM
258 I6

X3

Thanks for the tip -- I've been having strange issues with my interior lights -- which have gotten progressively worse -- I think I'll be looking for that connector as well.

Thanks!!

1986 Grand Wagoneer (225xxx)

1988 Comanche Pioneer (215xxx)
Old 11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

One of my old ones was just like that. Turns out the PO wired the key on power wire to one of the wires for the wipers. Took me forever to figure out why it only came on every now and then. In his defense both wires were white with a black stripe and ran side by side.

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up

X4!

I've been looking around trying to find someone else with this problem. My lights do exactly what you stated in the first post. I was trying to get ahold of a wiring schematic before I start taking things apart, but the dim lights made me thing that there is a serious resistance in the current flow somewhere, not really a short because that would provide a path of no or low resistance but I still have some voltage making it to the bulbs like you did.

Now that I think about it, I have not checked into the cowl drain AND I noticed last week when I put new parking brake cables on that the hole where the line passes through the floor board doesn't have any seal around the cable...? Not sure where to get a seal, but I might just put some silicon on it and call it a day.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM

I did notice that my front set of map lights on the console do not come on with the interior switch on the dash nor with a door opened, though they do work individually with their own switches. I assume there are separate wires for these lights with the door curcuit, the dash switch circuit, and the circuit that provides power for its own switch at the light?

The rear map lights and the rear dome light all work with the doors and the dash switch, so I assume the front map lights should as well.