International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 04-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Gear Head

My Project "Goldie" (lots of pics)

I guess making a "build thread" is the thing to do these days. So here I go. This summer is the summer to get my rig up to par. Its always needed some lovin in almost every place. And I feel like Ive just been polishing the turd for the last few years. The 1 yr old flexplate and starter gave up on me last fall. And instead of pulling off the slush box just to put it back on, the project list began. Things are getting slighty more serious with the g/f and I imagine that my ability to pull off a major project like this wont be around too much longer.

The list

Done:
-rebuild qtrac (OEM)
-rebuild tranny

In Progress:
prepping/painting backside of front clip and hood.

To Do:
-fix floor pans
-fix quarter panels
-fix flares
-strip/undercoat
-body rust repair/new sealer
-paint

The realistic wishes:
-4" lift (which I could higher, but trying to stay road legal)
-33x12.5 M/T? A/T? (see above)
-rebuild front end (tie rods, steering box, etc)
-u-joints
-rebuild at least top end of the motor (8600, Edel, T/A, Bulltear, fresh heads)

The pics (in order of appearance)
spare tranny/t-case

My SWEET (haha) work bench I built to practice some more welding

Some of the goodies

t-case damage (from other thread)

rust reconnaissance

Last night I pulled the rear seat and cargo carpet out. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of rust on the rest of the truck compared to the passenger side. The inside of the body panels around the flares and rear quarters arent pretty. But I think I can clean it up and convert it well enough to stop the spread of rust. The fellow member (supercheif79) that I bought the spare tranny/t-case from stopped by last night with another t-case and tranny along with an old starter (ill use as a spare). So now I can pull apart spare t-case #2 and see what Ive got.

The plan is to pull out the drive train (minus motor, I dont have a hoist). And then get at the floor pans, and repaint the entire interior. Im still not anywhere near certain on paint. Part of me wants to keep the Golden Eagle stuff and do a nice spray job. I have no spray stuff or a good place to spray. The other part says screw it, rub it up against a tree and smile because I have less than $100 in paint. Either rattle can or roll on. I really dig the 2 tone Cherokees Ive seen.

So Ill try to keep this update as a help to get me motivated.

Thanks for looking.

Until next time, keep on
'05 Evo MR "Eve"

Last edited by Charlie_B : 07-22-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Perpetually Perplexed

Subscribed!

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click
Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Grease Monkey

whatever you do, don't get rid of those seats! If you do, call me first. I am needed the buttons and good front seat frames...

I have a brown Golden Eagle and I have rebuilt it. Very important is to reset your front and rear diffs. This is what causes most of the "clunk" in your transfer case. I have rebuild from radiator to rear bumper. Finishing up body now.

I put the new 40 gallon tank underneath from aerotanks and it was a perfect fit and I can do long runs now.

The only thing I have to complete on the engine is the cruise control and I can't figure out what I am missing.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 AM

Well like brother krek Subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 05-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Gear Head

Finally made some progress. I wound up using the case, diff and yokes from t-case #2 and the low range and input gear from #1. The needle bearing being trashed was likely related to the side gear in the diff being crooked nad wearing into the pin. So I bagged the complete diff, even though it was nicer looking.

I tore into the transmission this morning. With GSmikie right by my side! Got it mostly cleaned up and had to order some new parts. The low roller clutch and the 2-3? accumilator piston. But they are on the way, along with a deep sump aluminum pan .

Got a question about something. When gsmike talks about steel seals being better than the teflon, is he talking about the 6 needed (2 for pump, or something like that)? I cant seem to find anything online for steel and my rebuild kit has neither.

thanks for looking
'05 Evo MR "Eve"
Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Master Mechanic

Dude you need some Evaporust!! Only joking , I just finished reading that thread. Seriously nice project, sounds like fun. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.

84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5
Old 05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
350 Buick

Are we having fun yet? Looks great so far. Keep up the good work
Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
FSJ Maniac

Well good luck but your bench won't stay that nice for long.

Man thats alot of RTV on that TH400 pan!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Gear Head

Definitely having fun..or at least trying to. My wallet isnt though.

The bench has at least fulfilled its expectations to this point. It hasnt fallen over and has given me a place to put a vise. The plywood was originally intended to be temporary until I could find a suitable work bench counter top.

All that rtv And it had a cork gasket. Came off in one big peice. Ive never been inside an auto tranny before, but Im pretty surprised at how nice the inside of this one looked. $20 in unexpected broken parts aint too bad in my book.

Opportunities to work on it have been few and far between. but hopefully after this next week I can put more time into it and get it on the road soon.

bg2pres: send me a pic of what your stuff under the hood looks like. I stupidly pulled my functioning cuise control apart a couple years ago and still have some pics from back then.
'05 Evo MR "Eve"
Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Dragin Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun
Well like brother krek Subscribed!

X3 on the subscription, your doing a fine job and hope to do the same on a trans and t-case soon. I even have the vid from Mike and the Napa kits he suggests in the vid. I just dont have a shop big enough or the is clean enough to do it in yet. Dirt free is the word...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2pres
I have a brown Golden Eagle and I have rebuilt it. Very important is to reset your front and rear diffs. This is what causes most of the "clunk" in your transfer case. I have rebuild from radiator to rear bumper. Finishing up body now.

I put the new 40 gallon tank underneath from aerotanks and it was a perfect fit and I can do long runs now.

The only thing I have to complete on the engine is the cruise control and I can't figure out what I am missing.

Cant wait to see your pics also. Sounds like a nice ride.

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_B
send me a pic of what your stuff under the hood looks like. I stupidly pulled my functioning cuise control apart a couple years ago and still have some pics from back then.

I know that feeling! Yesterday I changed the a/c compressor on the waggy. I was putting it back together and couldn't get the alternator bracket to fit on for squat! There are 4 wagoneer in town including mine. My buddy has his torn apart with an engine swap under way. So I grab my digital camera, go knock on a door of this guy I don't know. I explain what I am doing and ask to take pictures of the brackets. So with pics in hand, head to the house and finish the install. Today I have cold a/c and life is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.

84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5
Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Grease Monkey

hey u need some flares

hey i gopt some mint flares for the fender if u need any jsut give me a call u got a cell ill send the pictures to it if you want. im looking to buy som new fenders anyways. 207 3192214
4 speed standard
1989 jeep grand wag 360 fully loaded auto
1997 jeep cherokee 4.0 fully loaded
i love my money pits
Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Señor Jackhead

mighty fine!
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Gear Head

never would have dug into my first QT without you Flint. Thanks. This is my second, and I feel like I can do them in my sleep now. Although, this was the first time I tore open a diff and R&R'd the shifting mechanism. And Im glad I did with how bad the diff pin looked in case #1. But those cones and brakes sure were purdy.

Case #2 had the rubber seal around the whole thing (as seen in the pic). My last one didnt. What is your preference? With or without the rubber seal? BTW, my last one is leaking, but most likely due to excessive sealant. I really tried to be practical with the sealant this time.

thanks for looking
-Charlie
'05 Evo MR "Eve"
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Señor Jackhead

I prefer the case halves with the rubber seal and usually junk the one's we get with no rubber seal groove. With the rubber seal you can go real light on the sealant. Glad the site has been helpful!
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Gear Head

No new pics, but made a little more progress this past weekend. Im waiting on more parts for the tranny rebuild. So I started take care of "free" stuff I can do. She's in the garage now, so my motivation just grew. The tranny is almost ready to pull out, t-case is out. Pass door, pass fender, hood, and grille is off. Ive got to finish pulling the tranny, drop the gas tank, pull driver's fender and door, and finish taking apart the front clip. Then Im going to wire wheel the h&^* out of everything. And get it cleaned up for some POR action. I want to coat the inside of all panels, top/bottom of floor pans, and frame. I'll tackle the engine bay when the time comes. But with everything apart, Im starting to think I dont want to mount this nice tranny/t-case to this old and tired motor, so who knows what will happen.

Im hoping things will pick up speed with warm weather finally here. I just need to make a few purchases to keep things rolling.
'05 Evo MR "Eve"
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 AM
GRUMPY

JUST GUESSING,FROM YOUR PIC, YOU COULD USE A REAR SECTION,AND YOU MAY NEED THE RIGHT AND LEFT REAR FLOOR CORNERS ALSO!

I'LL BRAKE A SECTION AND SEND IT WITH THE RIGHT FLOOR,YOU CAN ADD IT ON, IF YOU NEED TO,BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO WING IT AT THE TRANS HUMP.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Gear Head

What section are you referring to sending? The rear? Or peice in between front and rear? Thanks alot!

The driver's side is fine. The first floor pan pic shows it. Unless Im not seeing something??? The portion under the seat belt is carpet. I still need to get that huge torx bit for the seat belts.
'05 Evo MR "Eve"
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 AM
GRUMPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_B
What section are you referring to sending? The rear? Or peice in between front and rear? Thanks alot!

The driver's side is fine. The first floor pan pic shows it. Unless Im not seeing something??? The portion under the seat belt is carpet. I still need to get that huge torx bit for the seat belts.
IT'S AN ADD ON TO THE REAR OF THE FRONT FLOOR PAN I'M SENDING,IF YOU NEED TO USE IT.

I'M SHIPPING YOUR FLOOR PARTS TODAY..

I WOULD STAY AND TALK,BUTS I GOTS TO GO!>>>>>>
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 AM
GRUMPY

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THIS IS A PIC OF BAYBILLYS CHEROKEE!

I ALSO SENT HIM A EXTRA SECTION, TO ADD TO THE SPACE,AT THE REAR PART OF THE FRONT FLOOR AND THE FRONT SECTION OF THE REAR FLOOR PAN.

AS YOU SEE HE ONLY CUT OUT HALF, OF THE CENTER OF THE FLOOR!