• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mack_T
    258 I6
    • Dec 04, 2006

Planning a trip to South Lake Tahoe

Hey all,
    I'm planning a trip to South Lake Tahoe in October. Right now, it will be October 12, 13, 14. Here's the plan:

Drive up Friday night the 12th, and have my bro & his girlfriend follow. On the way, possibly stop in Placerville for US Forest maps of the El Dorado forest & Desolation Wilderness. Get hotel in South Lake (Motel 6 is nice & inexpensive). Relax for the evening, and plan where to go Saturday.

Saturday Morning: Start on trip with everyone in the Jeep. First, driving back south, to IceHouse road. Take a drive over to Loon Lake, as well as to the Wentworth Springs campground.
    Saturday Evening: Take a dinner cruise on the Tahoe Queen riverboat, celebrate wife's birthday, our anniversary, and my bro's girlfriend's birthday.

Sunday Morning: Drive back to our normal lives....

I'm really curious about the Wentworth Springs campground & road leading to it. I've heard it's a 4wd trail, but can't find too much info on it. I've also heard there may be a creek crossing.

And, what about the Loon Lake area? Will I be able to drive my minimally modified GW onto the Granite out there? I'm not planning on taking it out onto the Rubicon, that will be another day. Just curious about the opening area, the few pictures I've seen make it look nice & easy, but at the same time looks really cool.

Thanks for any input, I'd like to be as ready as I can before taking the trip out there It is a 4 hour drive to South Lake, but what a long 4 hour drive it is.

Thanks,
    Clay
    1987 Grand Wagoneer Daily Driver "The Family Wagon"
    Bilstein 5125's, 9" front, 8.5" rear
    CA legal (stock) 360 with a flipped a/c lid
    Rough Country 3" front springs
    Rough Country AAL/ block rear
    Custom interior bicycle rack
    -------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.carleynet.net/familypictures
    www.sonic.net
Working...