Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MonsterMash

How many amps do I need?

I'm in need of an alternator for my '84 GW. My manual lists a 42, 56, 78, and an 85 amp. In addition I called a couple of parts houses and they list a 95 amp also. The only real add-on I have is a medium powered stereo which I think pulls about 5 or 6 amps. The other electrical draws are the PW/PL, A/C, heater fan, lights (including 2 driving lights) and basic electrical.

My 360 has a Delco alternator. Is there any way to tell how many amps it puts out. It worked fine for many years and I see no reason to upgrade.

The main reason I'm asking is that the 85 and 95 amp alts are around $100 bucks (rebuilt) and the 56 amp is something like $50.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    '84GW360--"Spinner"
    And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MonsterMash:
    I'm in need of an alternator for my '84 GW. My manual lists a 42, 56, 78, and an 85 amp. In addition I called a couple of parts houses and they list a 95 amp also. The only real add-on I have is a medium powered stereo which I think pulls about 5 or 6 amps. The other electrical draws are the PW/PL, A/C, heater fan, lights (including 2 driving lights) and basic electrical.

My 360 has a Delco alternator. Is there any way to tell how many amps it puts out. It worked fine for many years and I see no reason to upgrade.

The main reason I'm asking is that the 85 and 95 amp alts are around $100 bucks (rebuilt) and the 56 amp is something like $50.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>what size is the adjustment bolt? if it has a 9/16 head (3/8 bolt) or a 1/2 head (5/16) that is deciding factor. the lower rated alts are the smaller size wise. you can't mount a larger size alt in a smaller size mounting bracket you hafta settle for what the existing mount will accept. oh,and if you change mounts you end up with a mongrel belt size i guess cuz crank pulley is different,goodluck!

------------------
    '88 gwag
    \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• MonsterMash

what size is the adjustment bolt? if it has a 9/16 head (3/8 bolt) or a 1/2 head (5/16) that is deciding factor. the lower rated alts are the smaller size wise.

The adjustment bolt does have a 9/16 head. Do you know the cut-off between the bigger and smaller alts?
      Thanks!

------------------
      '84GW360--"Spinner"

Comment

• Bernie
        232 I6
        • Apr 11, 2000

Your Delco style alternator is stamped right on the case as to how many amps it is. I just have my stuff re-built at the local starter, shop.
        To many Jeeps not enough money!!

Comment

• andy d
          Shade Tree Shaman
          • May 06, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MonsterMash:
          what size is the adjustment bolt? if it has a 9/16 head (3/8 bolt) or a 1/2 head (5/16) that is deciding factor. the lower rated alts are the smaller size wise.

The adjustment bolt does have a 9/16 head. Do you know the cut-off between the bigger and smaller alts?
          Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>not sure have a parts guy show you the alt of your choice, whip out a 3/8 bolt, if it fits your set. 85 amp alt cost me 75$ at my indy rebuilder. get some di-electric grease to use on the regulator connections (plug in) goodluck

------------------
          '88 gwag
          \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• MonsterMash

I ended up with a 78 amp alt. I cleaned off the old alt. but couldn't find any markings that said any thing other than "Bat" and "Delco-Remy". I took it to the parts house and had it tested (dead) and I took the bolt with me as suggested ( I was actually mistaken the *adjuster* bolt had a 1/2" head) and the 78 amp was the largest that would fit my brackets. Installed it (sometimes I wish I had really small hands as the spacers were a pain in the Gore) plugged it in and it's working just fine. Thanks for the input.

------------------
            '84GW360--"Spinner"

Comment

Working...
            X