• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Ziebert
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 04, 2016

1970 J2500

Body off frame restoration of my dads truck. He bought it almost new in 70 and "used" it for many years. It finally ended up as a farm/yard truck so abused and worn out that it was not street legal. Dad died in 2009 and the truck went to my little brother who had plans for it but health precluded him from completing them. So it sat for 6 years. I agreed to do the resato and got started last year. This is the beginning.

1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
    Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified
  • 63J200atLSU
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 15, 2016

Subscribed! Can't wait to see the progress!
    '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
    (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
      327 Rambler
      • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
      Subscribed! Can't wait to see the progress!
      Neither can I. BTW love your signature line!

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
        Neither can I. BTW love your signature line!
        Haha! It's funny, I truly find that the more research and planning I do, the "luckier" I get with how well things turn out, but if anybody here or anywhere else thinks I know what I'm doing, I should probably warn them otherwise...

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
          327 Rambler
          • Dec 04, 2016

Update
          Used mechanics gloves and one finger fit loosely. It got caught and rolled up as I hit the trigger on the impact wrench.

Found out it is a replacement D44 with posi. Factory axle that came with the truck was not a posi.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 15, 2016

Getting it done! Be careful with those hands! That's a pretty crazy accident though. The general rule of thumb I've always heard is if it's a handheld device, like a angle grinder or sawzall, body saw, etc, use gloves. If it's a mounted device, like a lathe or bench grinder, don't, because you can get glove bits stuck in them and do a lot more damage. I'm more inclined to wear tight fitting gloves and use them with the grinder also... I've also made the mistake of being in a rush and not putting on my gloves when using the angle grinder with a rapid strip disc on it. Hit the last knuckle of my thumb, and it felt like my finger had been stepped on, shot, hit with a hammer and cut open simultaneously. There was much fussing from the girlfriend.

Comment

• EKWagoneer
              232 I6
              • Jun 01, 2016

Frank- That should be a Dana 18 transfer case. They were used up to 1971, or thereabouts. Rear axle would be a Dana 44 I think. Front might be Dana 27 or 30? Get that finger healed!

Hope that helps.
              Ely
              1973 Wagoneer- nearly stock, work in progress
              1/2 1975 Wagoneer- rolling chassis, D44's 6" lift, 35's, work in progress
              1992 Chevy Suburban 1500 Silverado, mostly stock, 396,000 miles and counting

I'm a secondhand vegetarian- cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Have A Nice Day!

Comment

• mud89
                304 AMC
                • Nov 18, 2009

Nice two-ton j-truck, good luck for the resto !

Some specs for a '70 J2500 with the Dauntless 350ci :
                - rear axle : Dana 44 semi-floating (w/ locking differential option : Trac-Lok)
                - front axle : Dana 44 full-floating (Dana 27 for a wagoneer)
                - standard transmission : 3 speeds T15A
                - optional transmissions : 4 speeds T18, or auto TH400
                - TC : Dana 20

By the way , do you have a sticker in the cab, driver side, with the production date (and VIN) ?
                J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                  327 Rambler
                  • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by mud89
                  Nice two-ton j-truck, good luck for the resto !

Some specs for a '70 J2500 with the Dauntless 350ci :
                  - rear axle : Dana 44 semi-floating (w/ locking differential option : Trac-Lok)
                  - front axle : Dana 44 full-floating (Dana 27 for a wagoneer)
                  - standard transmission : 3 speeds T15A
                  - optional transmissions : 4 speeds T18, or auto TH400
                  - TC : Dana 20

By the way , do you have a sticker in the cab, driver side, with the production date (and VIN) ?
                  Thanks for the reply.
                  I have verified the rear is a D44 with positraction and a GD tapered axle! The tranny is a TH400 and the TC is a D20.

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                    327 Rambler
                    • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by EKWagoneer
                    Frank- That should be a Dana 18 transfer case. They were used up to 1971, or thereabouts. Rear axle would be a Dana 44 I think. Front might be Dana 27 or 30? Get that finger healed!

Hope that helps.
                    Ely
                    Ely both axles are D44. Front is open and rear is positract. Dad replaced so much stuff on this truck over the years I have to guess at a lot of what I find. He was the original - no offense here- red neck repairer. If it was available and he could somehow make it work he did. "No sense spending money I don't need to........."

These pictures are old. I am in the start rebuilding stage. Fixing all the crap stuff takes time as you will see in future post. The finger healed just fine. Thanks for asking. Doc wanted to X-ray but as a ski patroller I had seen so many of these type injuries I didn't think it was necessary. After 2 weeks the awful blue/green/yellow color faded and I could move the finger again. Now all is well.

Did I mention how much I hate my DeWalt 1/2 inch impact wrench-----for several reasons!

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                      327 Rambler
                      • Dec 04, 2016

Progress. Had all the picture in a logical order but Photobucket rearranged them upon upload.

Comment

• EKWagoneer
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 01, 2016

Good that you know what the axles and t-case are. I was going off the top of my head with my information. D18 and D20 are quite similar, also.

Good luck with everything else!
                        Ely
                        1973 Wagoneer- nearly stock, work in progress
                        1/2 1975 Wagoneer- rolling chassis, D44's 6" lift, 35's, work in progress
                        1992 Chevy Suburban 1500 Silverado, mostly stock, 396,000 miles and counting

I'm a secondhand vegetarian- cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Have A Nice Day!

Comment

• Achilles
                          350 Buick
                          • May 12, 2004

Nice work. Subscribed
                          Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
                          MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
                          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
                          Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                            327 Rambler
                            • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by EKWagoneer
                            Good that you know what the axles and t-case are. I was going off the top of my head with my information. D18 and D20 are quite similar, also.

Good luck with everything else!
                            Ely
                            Sometimes there are delays in post. I had figured out and posted the specifics before I saw/read your post. I appreciate your time and information. Thank you.

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 04, 2016

Getting almost caught up with pictures verses build actual progress

Comment

Working...
                              X