Clear All
  • 87grandwagn
    232 I6
    • Oct 04, 2003

Ford V10 Swap

Has anybody ever done one?
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

I have not seen one. It would be a tight fit. They are long engines. Not quite as long as the 258, but the 258 fits back into the notch in the fire wall. A V10 can't due to its width.

It may be doable, but do lots of measuring before hand.
    Last edited by Stuka; 12-09-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• CJ the noisemaker
      304 AMC
      • Nov 28, 2009

Depending on the length it could be done, but the main issue is that the transmission behind the V10 is going to be either long or too big around. If anything you could try to put a 5 speed behind it and try to call it good.

But yeah, good luck if you do it.
      CJ
      [/COLOR][/SIZE] -1985 Ford LTD Country Squire "Rarity" - 302/AOD

Comment

• draglink
        350 Buick
        • Aug 17, 2008

Great engine, as said- tranny and case are really big...prob have to cut and fab the tunnel a bit

....and who knows , you might even get 12 mpg!!!
        '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• The PIG Smith
          King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I do not think anyone has performed a Ford Triton V10 swap into Full Size Jeep.
          Additionally, I personally not heard of a Ford Triton V10 swap into anything else, like a Mustang or other Ford product.

My advice, like the advice I give for swapping in a Cummins into a FSJ, is to get a running donor.
          ...like a rolled over wreck.

I think the fabrication will be a huge challenge, but I think those issues can be solved with time, talent/skills, $$$ and thinking outside the box.

It's all the other stuff that I personally think will the second huge challenge and these may not be so easy to solve.
          Unlike GM's Gen3 V8 that are moderately easy to wire up (the ECM is a separate box on the fender, makes swapping less difficult), I dunno how easy the 'brain' will be to separate the engine from the rest of the vehicle.

Also, there are vendors that produce a sell an aftermarket wiring harness and custom ECM for GM Gen3 V8's.
          I dunno if anyone sells such a product for the Triton series of engines.
          I would want to think so, but I have not seen one.
          (only because I do not follow late model Ford that close)

Of the few folks I have known to own and operate Ford V10's, they all have enjoyed the performance and claimed these were great engines.
          The common complaint were they were hard on fuel, but use FSJ enthuists just accept this, smile and hammer down!
          Bryan Smith
          2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
          - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
          1986 Jeep J20
          - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
          1982 Jeep J10
          - Has become a Long Term Project.
          1981 Jeep J20
          - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
          1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
          - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
          ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
          Originally posted by Lindel
          Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
            258 I6
            • Nov 06, 2009

I have that motor in my motorhome. Its an awesome chugger, great for towing. It actually looks to be very compact (what I can see of it). If you can put a 460 in a fsj, I am pretty sure a v10 will fit. I get an honest 10 mph at 65 to 70 miles an hour and got 12 mpg driving thru Yellowstone. This year I used my motorhome to flat tow my cj7 to King of the Hammers loaded with fire wood and a dirt bike hanging off the back and got 9 mpg. My brother met me there driving his waggy and got 8 mpg.

Comment

• draglink
              350 Buick
              • Aug 17, 2008

I've got a V10 4wd Excursion, best I've got is 12, worst is 9( as Kevin said^^). Great engine though. 3" body lift might also help clearing tranny/T case

Tons of torque, 44s might not last to long
              '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• 87grandwagn
                232 I6
                • Oct 04, 2003

I have a complete 4wd excursion donor.

I have been out of FSJ's for a while. My wife keeps wanting one. So I told her if we are to get another one, it will be a later year model and either a 6bt or v10 swap..... as I have both.

The v10 is 27 1/8 long, 28 1/2 high, and narrower than a 460.

I think it will fit fine.

I like the O/D tranny, hella torque stock. LIGHT vehicle compared to an Excursion.

Now all I need is a rust free Waggy with a bad drivetrain....

Comment

• orangebang
                  232 I6
                  • May 04, 2009

Years ago probably 30 now I saw in one of the 4 wheel dirve mags. a lamborghini V12 stuffed in a cherokee chief. They had to stretch the hood and fenders 3 or 4 inches but it fit. I will always remember that picture as a teenager thinking how cool that was. So yes anything will fit.
                  1964 J 300 dana 44's 3.55's, 383 chevy 420 hp 460 tq, turbo 350, 35 all terains, and 2.5 kings.

1964 J 200 stock except previous owner put a 327 in it does not run yet.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                    Murphy's Law Poster Child
                    • Dec 03, 2003

The V10 is going to burn thru some fuel and you're going to have issues with the exhaust manifold on the right side depending on what year the motor is. Should be an interesting swap.

Originally posted by orangebang
                    Years ago probably 30 now I saw in one of the 4 wheel dirve mags. a lamborghini V12 stuffed in a cherokee chief. They had to stretch the hood and fenders 3 or 4 inches but it fit. I will always remember that picture as a teenager thinking how cool that was. So yes anything will fit.
                    The Jerrari. Two were built IIRC. One with the Ferrari front end and the other with a Jeep front end. The one with the Jeep front end had the V12 with a manual trans custom mated to the stock Quadra Track
                    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                    '88 GW
                    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• orangebang
                      232 I6
                      • May 04, 2009

I knew someone would remember and not tell me I was CRAZY.
                      1964 J 300 dana 44's 3.55's, 383 chevy 420 hp 460 tq, turbo 350, 35 all terains, and 2.5 kings.

1964 J 200 stock except previous owner put a 327 in it does not run yet.

Comment

• derf
                        360 AMC
                        • Jul 12, 2001

Being an OHC engine, it's not going to be small. But it's probably not going to be too much bigger (side to side and top to bottom) than any big block. It's got a similar build to the 5.4 V8 with two extra cylinders. The block itself isn't huge but the overhead cam mechanism does make the head substantially bigger than an OHV engine.

That being said, it's probably not much more difficult to fit between the fenders than a big block from any of the big 3. Length may be an issue but if you can squeeze a 5.9 Cummins under the hood, you should be able to work out a way to get the V10 in there.

Ditto what everyone else said with the electronics. Adapting that to the chassis will take a fair bit of work. The more complete the donor harness is, the easier some decisions will be for making it all work.

The motor mounts and exhaust will most likely be 100% custom fab. Again, not overly challenging but not always straightforward.

If you choose to do it, take a lot of pictures.
                        Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• BGW
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 02, 2009

I really want to do this myself in the future. I love the 5.4 and 6.8, and I think they'd be great in an FSJ. Their electronics are certainly more complex than some other swaps, but they're aren't even close to being bad enough to prevent a swap. I think others have stated this, but it's always best to get the entire harness out of the donor vehicle. It's a lot easier than trying to adapt the old harness or starting from scratch.

Good luck- I think it'll be awesome!
                          1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• J20 project
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 27, 2000

time, talent/skills, $$$ and thinking outside the box.
                            While I think those efforts should probably be spent using a diesel, we used to stuff rat motors into chevy vegas...pretty much involved replacing the bottom layer of the car but....done many times.

J20
                            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Jeep'rs Creep'rs
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 14, 2011

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
                              ...Additionally, I personally not heard of a Ford Triton V10 swap into anything else, like a Mustang or other Ford product.
                              I've seen a few crown vics with the v10s. just thought i'd throw that out there
                              1990 Grand Wagoneer, stock (so far)
                              "Crate" 360 w/ 7K miles

Comment

Working...
                              X