• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CheapJeepBrad
    232 I6
    • Jan 10, 2012

good info

Question... do you think you'd be better off having that surface machined totally flat? Or, is the slight raise beneficial to creating a tighter seal?
    FSJs Owned/sold
    87 GW: Garnet/cordovan
    83 GW: Green/Peanut Butter
    87 GW: Black/Cordovan
    87 GW: Silver/Cordovan
    74 Cherokee NT: Blue/Rust -Parted
    77 Cherokee Chief: Tan/Garnet
    79 Cherokee: Golden Eagle
    81 J10 Laredo: Blue/Blue

Current Jeeps

82 Cherokee Chief: blue/blue
    83 J10 Laredo: Red/Blk
    77 Cherokee Chief: Brn/Tan

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Well... this is my first set of headers for a Jeep so I am not sure. I would think it would be "better" to have them ground flat but I am not sure they would be better enough to warrant the extra work/cost. I'll throw 'em on as is (are?) and if I blow gaskets I'll consider having them machined when I take them off next time for smog.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
        232 I6
        • Dec 15, 2016

considering the gaskets are usually a soft metal meant to crush and form to shape I'd like to imagine the machining grooves help hold it in place,

I have the same headers, the exhaust project is something I was going to tackle before I found out I have the cylinder heads of a 304... since then I've been putting it off until I find/get a 401 or 360 cylinder heads. I don't have access to a sand blaster so my plan was to install and burn off shipping coating for a season and when I do a more legitimate rebuild (eventually) paint them with VLD.
        1977 J20 w/ the 360 V8 with 304 heads formerly known as "401"....
        Edelbrock Performer, Street Demon Carb, HEI Distributor

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey
          considering the gaskets are usually a soft metal meant to crush and form to shape I'd like to imagine the machining grooves help hold it in place.
          I used the MRG7174 copper gasket (Mr gasket), they work very well.

As for VHT, blast the rust away, other the paint will flake in 4 min at idle, and it starts to stink within a min, so the baking is a good idea, can't remember the duration and temp, but it is on the can
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Got my Cat-back fab'ed yesterday and I am SUPER happy with it! It's a single Borla ProXS 3" offset in, 3" center out. They followed the factory routing but I asked them to center the tailpipe exit between the bumper and the fender flare and asked them to pull the dump inward so it didn't poke out. My Jeep also just received about 3" of additional ground clearance since my muffler no longer hangs below my frame. It looks AWESOME from the back, exactly what I wanted.

Idle is a nice quiet, mellow, deep and low "blub blub blub" sound. Cruise sounds deeper than stock but not louder, and WOT sounds like a deep, mellow, V8 sound but not loud at all. EXACTLY what I wanted.

Now I need to get my headers on so I can get rid of the MANY exhaust leaks! Notice my passenger mirror is missing. It broke off on my way to the exhaust shop. Didn't bump anything, it just fell off. Broken.

Last edited by rang-a-stang; 05-25-2017, 11:20 AM.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
              232 I6
              • Dec 15, 2016

Just fell off?! I use mine as handle bars to pull myself up all the time but now I'm wondering if this is a bad practice...

exhaust looks good! Mine will absolutely not be as pretty, I'm doing it all myself and I don't have a tube bender so pre-bent pieces and cutting and welding 100%. I'm planning on an h-pipe connector with side exhausts (maybe through the bed side wall for the sake of ground clearance, still debating). Side simply because less distance =less work,

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey
                Just fell off?! I use mine as handle bars to pull myself up all the time but now I'm wondering if this is a bad practice...

exhaust looks good! Mine will absolutely not be as pretty, I'm doing it all myself and I don't have a tube bender so pre-bent pieces and cutting and welding 100%. I'm planning on an h-pipe connector with side exhausts (maybe through the bed side wall for the sake of ground clearance, still debating). Side simply because less distance =less work,
                Just fell off! I'm doing 60mph hour on a clear road and I hear a clunk. I look in my mirror (on the windshield) and see it skidding across the road. Keep in mind, mine are crappy French made mirrors. Not quality American Metal like you have.

Yours could come out very well! I thought of doing it myself but figured by the time I ordered all the bends, (including 20% extra because I suck at this and would have to re-do several cuts), it would end up costing me more than to have it done. That tail pipe and its hangers was $180, muffler was $97 from Summit racing. I would have easily dumped $200 into pipes and bends doing it myself and it would have been 1/3 the quality of this one is (without any sort of warranty, too).

Make sure you post pics of yours when you're done, too! sounds like a good layout! I have watched guys on Hot Rod Garage and Finnegans Garage (both youtube shows) make their own exhausts and they look better then what I got. I just couldn't get there from here.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fsj454
                  Long time member
                  • Jan 02, 2015

por 15

I bought flow master .do it your self 2 1/2 Mandrel bent duel exhaust kit and made it fit where i liked it.welded all joints. except mufflers used banned clamps .wet sanded pipes .por 15 metal prep .por 15 silver exhaust paint from collectors back .1 can on each side .This paint cost 27.00 a can plus metal prep15.00 .6 Months now a still nice silver finish.This paint will be activated when heated up to last longer .BEST HEAT PAINT I EVER USED ...
                  Last edited by fsj454; 05-28-2017, 07:32 PM.
                  1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                    A) There are few things I love more than a set of side pipes. The sound is fantastic and the look is unbeatable. The ones on that panel are fantastic!

...if i side pipe'd the Cherokee? :eek: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H1060/?rtype=10 yeah,i'm thinking about it. it needs exhaust.

...if i side pipe'd the Cherokee? :eek: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H1060/?rtype=10 yeah,i'm thinking about it. it needs exhaust.
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

MY POINT EXACTLY!!! Those are AWESOME!!! I wish I could get CA to allow my Chief to wear those! So perfect!
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
                        232 I6
                        • Dec 15, 2016

Those side pipes are glorious and the thought of those getting crushed on a log/boulder... ...

On a '69 Stingray? Absolutely. On a Jeep? Not me, looks damn good but I know I'll accidentally destroy them, step on them, melt part of my body/clothing to them, ect..

I was looking for a good example of a through-fender job and I typically don't like how it's done most of the time... may have to do some photo-wizardry to the truck to make sure I like the idea... it's primarily appealing to me to keep the system short, up and out-of-the-way...

but then I saw this, lol

Seriously though, something along these lines minus the chrome... If it didn't come shiny from factory I'm not interested. Granted they never came from the factory like this, but that's besides the point, just don't feel the need for bling bling everything

Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 05-29-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

I see your point, WrenchMonkey but for those of us that offroad rarely, sidepipes make a good lookin/soundin street exhaust. Even when I do take my Jeep offroad, its usually pretty tame. I also prefer the sand dunes over the rocky areas that would destroy a set of side pipes...
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Got my headers painted and they look pretty sweet. Got manifolds off, Y-pipe off, cat off.

Then I broke my dipstick tube off!!! YES! Perfect!

I have the driver side header hanging loosely on my head and the passenger side is siting next to my door. I am not sure when the better half will let me tinker again but I have a feeling I will be dropping quite a few cuss word trying to get my broken dip stick tube out and the new one in. I ordered the Amix-Ada one knowing that I am buying a headache but I wanted it ASAP and Amazon had it with 2 day shipping.
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 15, 2016

Damn, seems to be the way of things, two steps forward, one step back

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

Drove it to the exhaust shop this morning, open headers. 20 miles (15 of it at highway speeds). DDDDDaaannnng! That's what America sounds like!!! Looking forward to picking it up at lunch today!
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X