• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uglyjeepling
    350 Buick
    • Feb 01, 2003

Click! Click! Click!

So I have this clicking from the flex plate converter bolts hitting the bellhousing sheetmetal cover. I tightened them all and still have a click. It only happens when I give it gas and when it shifts. The flex plat looks ok...from what I can see with the access cover removed. So the burning question is; Is it the flex plate or thrust bearing? And how much am I in for replacing either? This is very frusterating, I can't go mudding with this problemo. Please help!
    Matt 'Captain 'insert new stupid thing I did here''

"H2's are like sphincters, they're all crappy...and now Chinese."

'79 WT Cherokee, Black Stock Rims, BJ's Aluminum Radiator, 31" Firestone Destination M/T, PowerTrax No-Slip Locker, Hurculined passenger area, Holley Electronic Fuel Pump, TFI!!

'64 Mercury Comet Cyclone. Stock.
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

I would hceckk to make sure the tranny bolts are tight ann the flexpalte is tight. it would have to move or the tranny/engine would have to move for that to happen only on acceleration.

Comment

• gsmikie
      Auto Trannie God
      • Feb 18, 2001

th 400 ???? unbolt the converter from the flex plate and tap the flex plate with a wrench and see if it rings or goes thud if it rings (like a bell) the flex plate is good if it goes thud you need a flex plate they crack around the crank hub and will walk and click until they break all the way
      I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• uglyjeepling
        350 Buick
        • Feb 01, 2003

it is the th 400. i will try both suggestions. someone also said the crank can walk if trust brearing on the main was worn, is that true. Darn, I hate working down there is is a greasy mess. The last person left the leaks and filled the engine periodically. Now it is all over the tranny. Just venting.
        Matt 'Captain 'insert new stupid thing I did here''

"H2's are like sphincters, they're all crappy...and now Chinese."

'79 WT Cherokee, Black Stock Rims, BJ's Aluminum Radiator, 31" Firestone Destination M/T, PowerTrax No-Slip Locker, Hurculined passenger area, Holley Electronic Fuel Pump, TFI!!

'64 Mercury Comet Cyclone. Stock.

Comment

• Doug B.
          327 Rambler
          • Oct 27, 2001

The last person left the leaks and filled the engine periodically. Now it is all over the tranny.
          That is a FSJ trademark.....it might even be copyrighted.
          no running FSJ at this time......

Comment

• timmirvin
            350 Buick
            • Jan 29, 2003

Originally posted by uglyjeepling:
            someone also said the crank can walk if trust brearing on the main was worn, is that true.
            I have two "future projects/parts Wags" that this has happened to. One has very noticeable front to back slop/play. The other is quite a bit less, but both make the clicking you are describing. I didn't have the luxury of this forum a couple years ago when I bought them. Just about pulled my hair figuring out what the problem was......

It was finally my wise old/dear old father that said "Hey, hand me a pry bar" that figured it out. He put the bar behind the harmonic balancer and the crank would move back and forth...

Have not torn into either engine yet. But will use one of them later this Summer for the Hunting Mobile project that I am fixin' to begin.

[ April 10, 2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: timmirvin ]
            \'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...

Comment

Working...
            X