• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Guilbeau
    304 AMC
    • Apr 17, 2002

NP229 Output Shaft (Rear) Spline Count and Dia

Fellsa,

Anyone out there know offhand what the Rear output shaft that couples to the yoke for the rear driveshaft diameter and spline count is.

I have been talking with Randy at Gear Vendors, who sell an overdrive unit that can be bolted on the rear of the transfer case, it provides a 22% (0.78) reduction for highway travel.

They make them for the NP205, and might be able to couple up to the NP229, or machine a coupler to implement the coupling.

Also, if anyone has one of these NP229 cases available, the distance from the end of the output shaft to the gasket seal would be very helpful, as this will let Randy know if one of their machined couplers will mate up off the shelf, or if I need to have another unit machined up.

So to sum it up I am looking for the following information...

1. Output shaft diameter and spline count for the NP229 Transfer Case.

2. Distance from the end of the output shaft to the gasket, to compare with existing couplers.

Thanks in advance...
    Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
  • fredws
    232 I6
    • Mar 23, 2002

I looked at an output shaft I have, looks like a dia of about 1-3/8" with 32 spline count.

Not real sure of the distance to the seal, since it is not installed right now, but it looks like about 2" from the end of the splines to the bearing, or about 3" from the very end of the shaft.
    '91 Grand Wagoneer -360 - TF727 - NP229 -- Edelbrock 2131 manifold, 1406 carb

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
      304 AMC
      • Apr 17, 2002

Thanks (Fred?)

The folks at Vendor Gear need some measurements in order to either fab up an interface or see if they have one that will fit this application.

Now, if the NP229 did not change too much in the years between 1983 and 1991 I will have a better idea of the dimensions.
      Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

• Nobby
        258 I6
        • Jul 29, 2002

Hey Joe, I,d be interested to hear your progress on this as it comes.
        cheers
        87 Stock V8 GW<br />49 Austin A40 Devon Pickup<br />84 Saab 900 Turbo<br />72 Citroen DS21 Station Wagon

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
          304 AMC
          • Apr 17, 2002

Well,

First and foremost, it will be expensive. The cost of the Gear Vendors overdrive (0.78) gearing or a 22% reduction, is something around $2500 dollars, it is about 14 inches long and weighs about 45 lbs.

My mechanic laughs at me, and tells me to just find an old tranny and put it in backwards or something like that...

Here is a link to a Petersons 4 Wheel Drive article on one of these units, as posted on Gear Vendors website.

By Cole Quinnell Photography: Cole Quinnell Reprint from Petersen’s 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine, September 1999 Building a 4X4 is a series of compromises. If you lift the truck and install largertires (as you should), the engine will have a much more difficult time getting the truck moving and keeping it at speed on the highway. … Continue reading 4wheel sep99 →

Comment

Working...
          X