• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benandjoesdad
    232 I6
    • Jun 29, 2017

Rusty rear shackle

Any suggestions on how to repair this. The shackle itself seems ok but segment that goes to the bumper Frame is toast. I

Not sure I'm understanding what part you're talking about exactly, can you get a picture?

Are you referring to the spring hanger welded to the frame? If so, ford ranger hangers work great as bolt on replacements for our factory ones.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Benandjoesdad
      232 I6
      • Jun 29, 2017

Tried adding a pic but having trouble. The shackle wher the rear leaf spring attaches to the frame. Drivers side rear

Comment

Here's your pic:

From what I can see in the pic, it looks like the spring hanger (the box with the spring shackle) is fine, but from that point back the frame is pretty much gone.

If that's accurate, you've got a couple options:

1) Get a piece of C channel steel that fits the inside dimensions of the frame and use that as a repair piece. The frame is pretty straight right there, so it should be a relatively easy fix if you're handy with a welder.

2) Find a good frame and cut off the piece you need, swapping it with your frame. That would likely mean replacing the spring hanger, which would require some real careful measuring to ensure everything stays in proper alignment.

3) Swap the entire frame.

I would probably try for option 1 first. The other two won't be any fun at all. Others may chime in with more ideas as well, lots of people around here better at metal work than I am.

aa
        1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Rooney77
          232 I6
          • Nov 03, 2018

Originally posted by Cecil14
          Here's your pic:

From what I can see in the pic, it looks like the spring hanger (the box with the spring shackle) is fine, but from that point back the frame is pretty much gone.

If that's accurate, you've got a couple options:

1) Get a piece of C channel steel that fits the inside dimensions of the frame and use that as a repair piece. The frame is pretty straight right there, so it should be a relatively easy fix if you're handy with a welder.

2) Find a good frame and cut off the piece you need, swapping it with your frame. That would likely mean replacing the spring hanger, which would require some real careful measuring to ensure everything stays in proper alignment.

3) Swap the entire frame.

I would probably try for option 1 first. The other two won't be any fun at all. Others may chime in with more ideas as well, lots of people around here better at metal work than I am.

aa

I support option 1. If you are worried about strength you can fishplate it. I built an entire MB chassis for my diesel rockcrawler with a 110 welder and 2x4 tube with 1/8" wall. It's easier than you think. Just keep things square and take your time welding and you should be ok just using some C channel and fabbing your own.

If you're not comfortable welding it yourself, you can still fab up the replacement channel and cut off the old piece and have a shop do the welding for you for next to nothing.

Comment

• Benandjoesdad
            232 I6
            • Jun 29, 2017

Thanks.. I like option 1 also. Very logical.

Comment

• Benandjoesdad
              232 I6
              • Jun 29, 2017

Update

I installed a 12” c channel segment works good
              Last edited by Benandjoesdad; 12-12-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X