it is toast... looked at the tranny in the light today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 79 FSJ
    232 I6
    • Aug 27, 2001

it is toast... looked at the tranny in the light today...

The rest of the story...

The tranny is toast, the large cast iron knucle that holds the 2 u-joints on the front driveshaft came loose and busted the corner off the tranny and also cracked the top of the trany. My tranny guy found a case in Dallas and is having it shipped to Austin tomorrow. I guess it is a special tranny place that checks them out and cleans the cases and ships them guaranteed to be in spec.

Well, it is cheaper than the used tranny and we know what were getting unlike a used tranny you never know what it is untill you open it up.

Also it really is better, my tranny was rebuild just 7 month ago and is in perfect shape, so it is just a quick internal swap.

check you u-joints and make sure they are clean and lubed, I did the rears about a month ago and was going to do the front in a few weeks, this little episode is going to end up around $600 when it is all done... just for a $20 u-joint...

Sucks to be me!

Later
    Dave
    -----<br />1979 Cherokee S Wide Track<br />360 TH400 w/ Low Gear Option<br />Tow Rig and Daily Driver<br />-----<br />1991 Mustang GT - Race Prepared<br />302ci (soon to be 331ci)<br />Road Race (Open Road Events)<br />-----
Working...
X