• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoadRacer_Al
    232 I6
    • Jun 18, 2018

Parting out a Gladiator?

Hey there FSJ people.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a low-mile, mostly original '67 Gladiator.

Unfortunately, things went downhill fast with the 327 motor dropping a cylinder, and TH400 trans losing the 3rd gear clutch.

A friend of mine found a Gladiator for sale with no title, an allegedly rebuilt motor and a manual trans. (And, presumably, all the bits needed such as an OEM pedal assembly & linkages)

I'm tempted to buy it and get the parts off it which I want, but before I pull the trigger, I'd need a plan for the balance of the truck.

What are some parts which I might want to keep because they're NLA?

Beyond that, is there a market for stuff like the glass, the hood, grille, bumpers, etc?

What are the most sought-after used parts on a late '60s Gladiator or Wagoneer?

Thanks in advance!

Al
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

There is a forum here for parts selling. At FSJ Network too. You could post pictures of the truck and people could PM you with requests.

What's in demand? Tailgates, beds, front fenders, grilles, bumpers. If you are lucky, you'll find someone that wants a cab. I assume this is a rust-free California truck. You could get rid of it all if you are willing to spend the time.

The adapter and tail shaft from the TH400 has some value. A Dana 20 should sell if it's in good shape. Realize that private party parts sales typically go for bargain prices. The Rambler car guys might want your TH400... it used to be a popular conversion for those cars.
    Last edited by tgreese; 07-23-2018, 11:40 AM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

Folks are always looking for fenders and/or flares, dash, grille and hood that fits the early grille.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
        232 I6
        • Jun 18, 2018

Cool. All good news. I've only seen the ty Craig's List photos. (Seriously. If you want fighting over who gets to give you their money... take good pictures!)

I'm not looking for "the big score", I just hate to see things go to waste.

I'll know more after the weekend, I'll try to arrange to see it then.

Just thought of another question -- are there any Jeep repair/restoration businesses in the West which might want the whole thing?

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

If they are both X or Y models. 6,000/7,000 GVWR respectively I would keep the D53 rear axle. There isn't anything avail for those. Not really a demand for D53's so the entire unit has no value and they don't blow up often but if I had one in a truck and had a spare I find room to store it. For sure keep all four of the 12" brake drums. Since you won't have a title you won't be able to scrap the carcass whole at a boneyard you may as well keep the thing and slowly try to part it out. In time you'll maybe sell some of the sheet metal, grille, bumpers, gauge cluster, interior bits? Good luck but plan on having most of it around for a long time.
          Oh I'd keep the AMC327 to TH400 adapter ring. Not really any great value but a shame to toss it if someone needed one.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

I may well be interested in a good chunk of it. I don't know where you're at in CA, but I'm up in Carson City, NV. If you're not super far away, I could come and get whatever you don't want. I am primarily interested in body parts, so the driveline and all the associated bits are yours. I could even bring axles to throw under it for transport.

aa
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by RoadRacer_Al
              Cool. All good news. I've only seen the ty Craig's List photos. (Seriously. If you want fighting over who gets to give you their money... take good pictures!)

I'm not looking for "the big score", I just hate to see things go to waste.

I'll know more after the weekend, I'll try to arrange to see it then.

Just thought of another question -- are there any Jeep repair/restoration businesses in the West which might want the whole thing?

If it is the white junker with the broken windshield , it has the 350 buick engine in it, missing carb, so the engine might be slightly oxidized...

Probably a good time to put a newer engine... astrovan... comes to mind...

Plenty of ideas , cherokee XJ...

Anybody ever pondered/tried a GM 4.3l swap? I borrowed my buddies 99 Jimmy last weekend for a long trip, got 22 MPG on the highway easy, pulls the boat well in the summer, and isn't real slow (nor is it fast, but adequate). The tcase is a driver drop and I can't imagine a fully equipped Jimmy weighs much less than a Waggy.

Plenty at picknpull, engine $200 + core $50, for trans... $105 + core $30
              Last edited by letank; 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM.
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• newtojeeps
                350 Buick
                • Jun 28, 2006

Parts

I see you are in CA if close enough I could use the hood

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

Just a comment - rather than change a 327/TH400 truck to a 350/manual (T-15 or T-18? it matters) it would make more sense to install a complete fuel injected Chevy drivetrain. This is done a lot to these Jeeps, and if done well, IMO it would increase the value of the truck significantly. Keep the patina and upgrade the mechanical parts. It's already an automatic, and these trucks typically came with deep axle gears like 4.88s, so you would get quite an advantage from a modern overdrive automatic.

The327 is a battleship of an engine, and worth saving if in good shape... but swapping to the 350 will replace the original 1st gen V8 with another 2nd gen V8, where modern engines are at something like 8th or 10th generation. Plus it won't be original anymore, if that counts for anything.

Really, the outlook by Jeep guys is more like the hot rod crowd than the auto preservationists. People have been putting V8s in Jeeps since the 50s. A conversion that's a real improvement would be viewed very positively: steering conversions, brake conversions, transmission conversions, the works. The Buick 350 was great in its day, but it's old fashioned compared to modern power (just like the 360, really). If the original drivetrain is kaput, you have every reason to convert to as modern a drivetrain as possible.
                  Last edited by tgreese; 07-24-2018, 08:38 AM.
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 18, 2018

OK, great -- I'm real glad to hear that there is a market for used parts.

I could try to get a title for it, and sell it that way, but if it's impossible, the cab and chassis might just "rust away" with no trace. I'm definitely running VIN numbers before I put out any cash, though.

The seller claimed it has a 327 and a T-18.

I don't have space to store many parts, so they have to git along little doggie.

Thanks!!

PS: don't encourage me to restomod it! I don't need the help, I'm trying to resist!!

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Pretty sure a 327 got the T-98. Maybe not ... there was a transition somewhere in there. Functionally the T-98 and T-18 are the same.

Have you driven a 4-speed pickup? Not everyone will put up with the extra effort needed to drive them. They are slow and heavy shifters, with a long throw. Gets to be a drag in stop and go traffic. These transmissions were developed with heavy duty trucks and buses in mind, and those drivers were paid to drive them, typically. Also, they whine. Very durable though, and the compound first is great for a Jeep.

If it's a 3-speed, it's on the column and likely a Borg-Warner T-85 or T-89. Strong, but not synchromesh in 1st.
                      Tim Reese

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 18, 2018

I'm leaning towards not getting it.

I live in Oakland, and have a **really** small yard, and a truck won't fit in my garage unless I roll it in on the brake drums.

I am, at heart, a modifier of things. Hardly anything in my life stays stock.

The stuff on my truck which needs major work is the motor (needs a shade tree rebuild) and the TH400 trans.

I figure that if the motor is harder than valve seats and rings, or too expensive to fix, I'll just apply a LSx motor to the problem and get $75 for the scrap cast iron.

The TH400 has solid used value as it's a beefy as hell transmission.

Comment

You're not terribly far from me, just under 4 hours. That'd be totally doable if you do decide to get it and part it. Timing would be pretty important for both of us, it sounds like, but I'd still be interested.

I primarily need a cab and front clip, but could work with more if that was the package.

aa
                          1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 18, 2018

Here's the text of the ad, if you're into it:

Jeep Project, no pink slip, project only, has rebuilt engine that runs V8, T18 Manual Trans w/ model 20 transfer case, call Steve at 408-234-0030

and the link, which won't last long.

Honestly, I'd run the VIN before doing anything else. A no-pink sale always sketches me out.

Comment

Seller is certainly proud of it. That's nowhere near an $1800 truck in my mind. Maybe $500 without a title. It's a pile of parts, as things sit right now, nothing more.

aa

Comment

Working...
                              X