• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rainer
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 04, 2015

Is this J10 a Golden Eagle?

Hi All -

I own a 78 J10 and have done a bunch of research on the site to try and determine if the truck is an original Golden Eagle. It has original GE wheels which were never repainted, and it has the grille guard and roll bar. It also has the Levi's interior. It does not have decals, but its had a repaint so I'm guessing they were just never reapplied. Anyone have any other suggestions to verify whether this one was a GE? Thanks!

• Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

does the VIN decoder here on the site offer any clues?
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• autogatto
      258 I6
      • Apr 24, 2009

The Vin plate will only indicate what interior trim the truck originally had. Still with the rally steering wheel, the levi's seats and the wheels (combined with the fact that is a 78) you can assume it might have been a Golden Eagle.
      A few jeeps

Comment

• Bill Moore
        304 AMC
        • May 22, 2006

i believe it is a GE, looks just like mine
        DDs
        67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
        78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
          Banned
          • Mar 01, 2009

I thought GE packages only began in 1979. Same with the Levis interior.

The roll-bar and brush-guard were both J10 options. The wheels may have been too. Are there remnants of the tape/sticker lines on the rear cab-wall and front bed-wall in the bed-to-body gap? Sometimes if the vehicle is a quicky reshoot they wont pull the bed off the chassis to prep between the cab and bed and some of the wrapped around stickers stripes can bee seen under the new paint. Same for in the door jambs/inside lip of the doors.

I'm curious to know more about the history of this vehicle.

I cant remember if my 79 brochure says the bar and guard are factory check-mark options for the J20. The GE option was never on the J20s I do know that. But I think you had to order them separately and have the dealer install them.
          Here's a stock-ish 1979 J20 with the guard installed.

I had another 1979 with the guard installed also , but it was junk when I got it.

The guard...
          [/IMG]

The truck...

The link to the grisly dismantling of that J20...it was a Levis interior too, just like my first tan/brown 79 J20.
          Okay, before I post pics, I'd like to give the previous owner fair warning...you are a moron. I will give you, whoever you are, time to get out of town, or change your name...if you are still around. When the pics come up and you recognize this truck as once belonging to you, and you are the one who trashed it...I'd advise you
          Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 02-07-2015, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Bill Moore
            304 AMC
            • May 22, 2006

Originally posted by Tinkerjeep
            I thought GE packages only began in 1979. Same with the Levis interior.

The roll-bar and brush-guard were both J10 options. The wheels may have been too. Are there remnants of the tape/sticker lines on the rear cab-wall and front bed-wall in the bed-to-body gap? Sometimes if the vehicle is a quicky reshoot they wont pull the bed off the chassis to prep between the cab and bed and some of the wrapped around stickers stripes can bee seen under the new paint. Same for in the door jambs/inside lip of the doors.

I'm curious to know more about the history of this vehicle.

I cant remember if my 79 brochure says the bar and guard are factory check-mark options for the J20. The GE option was never on the J20s I do know that. But I think you had to order them separately and have the dealer install them.
            Here's a stock-ish 1979 J20 with the guard installed.

I had another 1979 with the guard installed also , but it was junk when I got it.

The link to the grisly dismantling of that J20...it was a Levis interior too, just like my first tan/brown 79 J20.
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=153809
            They made the GE for sure in 78, not sure if earlier.
            DDs
            67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
            78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• mud89
              304 AMC
              • Nov 18, 2009

95% chance that it's a Golden, all is there except the decals and striping : beige Levis interior, tan carpeting, Bright arms overlay, chrome front bumper, rear step bumper, wheels painted gold with black accent, black roll bar, black steel grille guard, tan sports steering Wheel, Bright doors Windows mouldings..
              J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                Banned
                • Mar 01, 2009

I'm not saying you're wrong...

But all of the above was separately optioned. My first 1979 J20 had all of that (or it was available) except the tilt column, sport steering wheel, and the gold 15" wheels, obviously. 1979 J20s only had 16.5wheels available.

The Gold wheels are likely the most suggestive that is could have been a GE. But again, the truck, unless you owned it from brand new, could have had stuff swapped onto it at any time, wheels, grill guard, and rollbar.

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

It's 50 /50

More than likely an GE as stated the interior package is correct the wheels & accessories are correct it's a good chance. Can anyone say for sure besides the original owner NO. There's nothing to prove it is or isn't easy to clone.
                  It's my understanding the eagles started in 76. Paint it white or brown & stripe it & no can dispute whether it is or isn't. No one can say it isn't either.
                  it's simple an undocumented package.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                    Banned
                    • Mar 01, 2009

^ True.

Comment

• mdill
                      Gone. Not Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2000

A lot of the Golden Eagle, J-10, Chief .. packages were sticky paper and paint, not much more.
                      -----------------------------------------
                      Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                      1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                      1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                      1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                      1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                      And the other stuff that gets driven
                      ----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X