• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J10-401
    304 AMC
    • Oct 01, 2005

cam gear woes

I lost the teeth on my cam gear. It seemed to happen all at once because it was running OK at 70-mph one minte and then the motor just died.

Teardown shows the slot on the back of the cam timing chain gear doesn't line up with the oil hole on the cam. The hole is about 65-percent eclipsed. Is that enough to make a serious problem? The gear wear at its worst on the teeth areas that only get the auxillary oiling from the champer on the back of the gear.

Bits of gear teeth all in the timing chain cover. Well I hope the filter kept it out of the main bearings.

Plus another stupid thing I did was put a new re-curved dizzy in with the original cam gear. This was about 1000 miles ago (ran great too). I should have used the old dizzy's gear on the new dizzy.

Plus, I installed a midplate and nickle-plated filter adapter. Got about 10 more PSI. But maybe it just put too much of a load on the gear set.

So the plan new is:
    New Bulltear TC Cover nickle plated.
    The oil pump gear with the HRC grooves - to lessen the pumping effort.
    Matched Cam and Dizzy gear from Bulltear.
    Drop the pan for general clean up.
    Check a main bearing.
    Run 10-30 instead of 20-50 oil.

Anything else?
    \'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

dang-that sucks.

especially in a nice truck like yours.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Elliott
      Cowboy Up
      • Jun 22, 2002

Sounds like you have it covered, but do you really need to pull the pan? That sounds like a lot of extra work and anything laying down there ain't gonna float up through the pickup screen is it?
      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• J10-401
        304 AMC
        • Oct 01, 2005

phots added

Already did it. I'm running paranoid on this one maybe.

Pulled a main cap. Inspection looked just fine. Lots of debris in the bottom of the pan. None splashed on on the rods or cylinder-walls, thankfully.

Actually none of the chips got into the oil pump either. So I think the teeth shreaded very suddenly so the pump couldn't suck any chips up.
        Last edited by J10-401; 11-02-2006, 09:12 AM. Reason: add photos
        \'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.

Comment

• J10-401
          304 AMC
          • Oct 01, 2005

Here's the photos

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

looks to me like they simply wore to the point of breakage.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Working...
            X