Hi Guys,

I recently went through and fixed a few things on my 79 cherk:

* replaced valley pan gasket
    * CTO
    * EGR
    * Thermostat 195 degree
    * carb gasket
    * fuel filter

Then I had to move it out of my moms backyard and took it to a local mechanic who did the following:

* changed the mechanical fuel pump
    * "supposedly" rebuilt the carb
    * rerouted a vacuum line that I never saw before that was attached to a thin metal tube that had a spot on the manifold that it used to be inserted into

When I got it back from the mechanic I noticed the following:

* engine feels tight
    * engine feels like it is working hard to move the cherk
    * stinks like gas
    * hard to start
    * the oil pressure is low
    * engine is getting hot but not overheating.

When I questioned all this this, they said it was fine and that it was an old vehicle but I say that is a whole lot of BS.

What I am most concerned with is the low oil pressure now.

I searched and tried to find some info online and this forum but I couldn't find anything specific to all the problems I listed.

The backstory is....my cherk was sitting for a couple of year....before it was parked it started up right away, ran smooth, had good oil pressure and didn't feel "tight"

At that time it didn't have any known mechanical issues.

On thing to note....when replacing the valley pan...the engine looked really really clean but when I pulled the dip stick after the oil change....there was a glob of sludge on the tip of the stick.

I want to get my rig on the road again and am at my wits end right now and hoping you guys are able to point me in the right direction on fixing my rig.

Thanks...any and all advice is appreciated.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

it does not say if you changed the oil and filter? could be a clogged oil filter, low oil level, wrong type of oil?

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

* rerouted a vacuum line that I never saw before that was attached to a thin metal tube that had a spot on the manifold that it used to be inserted into
      sounds like the heat riser for the choke. it it not a vacuum line. your choke may not be coming off now and make sure that hose is not going to a vacuum fitting.

there was a glob of sludge on the tip of the stick.

probably junk from the gunk that builds up in the dipstick tube.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Anytime an engine is opened up/gasket(s) replaced runs the risk of bunch of crap making its way into pan/oil system.

Bottom line, they worked on it, you are not happy now?
        Take it back, get it fixed to your satisfaction or get your $ back and go somewhere else.
        If they start in with excuses etc. initiate complaints with BBB and CA BAR.
        If it?s a chain store, get a hold of district/regional manager.
        It it?s mom & pop place, get a hold of owner.

Always pisses me off to hear stories like this. The BS excuse right off bat screams piss poor workmanship/lacking customer service/etc.
        Excuses are for dips that should not be working as a mechanic.
        Fix it right, or don?t accept the damn job. If a customer isn?t happy do what it takes to make them happy. Doesn?t matter if it?s an old jeep.

A lazy firestone mechanic did not do his job correctly on my now wife?s car back ~1998?
        We weren?t married then, I flew out to CA and ripped them a new one.
        It cost them dearly, they figured she was just a dumb girl and she?d go away/not complain. They were WRONG lol
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

At least it's running now! Woo hoo! Progress!

get us a pic of the vacuum line. I'm with Ristow, sounds like the choke pre-heat tube but could also be the line that goes down to your trans.

Also, keep in mind that the oil pressure gauge sucks. It may not actually be low. Might be worth going to a local parts store and buying a cheap mechanical gauge to verify your pressure.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Tanker
            350 Buick
            • Jan 04, 2005

If you can,check out tj performance Orange CA. we sell them parts. They mite be able to help.
            Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
            Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• Geminiroq
              258 I6
              • Apr 06, 2007

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              At least it's running now! Woo hoo! Progress!

get us a pic of the vacuum line. I'm with Ristow, sounds like the choke pre-heat tube but could also be the line that goes down to your trans.

Also, keep in mind that the oil pressure gauge sucks. It may not actually be low. Might be worth going to a local parts store and buying a cheap mechanical gauge to verify your pressure.
              LOL...yeah...that is a good thing

Thanks for all your help...I will try all the suggestions and see how it goes.

I still have a year warrenty just in case nothings seems to work.

Comment

• Geminiroq
                258 I6
                • Apr 06, 2007

Originally posted by babywag
                I flew out to CA and ripped them a new one.
                It cost them dearly, they figured she was just a dumb girl and she?d go away/not complain. They were WRONG lol
                I like your style Tony!!

Comment

Working...
                X