• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WINGO
    327 Rambler
    • May 06, 2000

IGNITION UPGRADE - DURASPARK

The ignition coil on my '84 GW quit and it's time for a complete tuneup for the fall and winter season (plugs, cap, rotor, wires etc).

I have read a few posts concerning the upgrade of the existing ignition and followed a link to Trailhead www.trailhead.com/duraspark%20upgrade.html .

Have any of you done this upgrade? I am considering level 2. If not, please offer me your comments concerning this approach or another.

Thanks!

------------------
    WINGO
    Vineland, NJ
    USA
    1984 GW 360
    <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg
  • WINGO
    327 Rambler
    • May 06, 2000

Wrong link!!!!!!!!!!!!

The correct link is:
    www.trailhed.com/duraspark%20upgrade.html

Sorry about the mistake!

------------------
    WINGO
    Vineland, NJ
    USA
    1984 GW 360
    <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg

Comment

• Ralph
      Third Member
      • Apr 11, 2000

A guy who recently did it e-mailed me to say it worked great. I'm going to give it a whirl myself, but probably with an MSD ignition module and a TFI coil.
      We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ralph:
        A guy who recently did it e-mailed me to say it worked great. I'm going to give it a whirl myself, but probably with an MSD ignition module and a TFI coil.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
        I'm "the guy". Yes it works great and I got most of my parts at a salvage yard for considerable savings. My Wagoneer starts quicker but I haven't experianced any noticable increase in gas mileage.

------------------
        DLyons
        84 Grand Wagoneer
        360-727-229-3.31s
        2" Suspension Lift
        2 1/2" Body Lift(HomeMade)
        Redneck Engineering at its finest!

Comment

• reddog
          304 AMC
          • Jul 26, 2000

The article mentions a coil by Standard with a part number of FD-479. Checking wrenchhead.com for a 84-85 ford F350 w/460 the part number shows as FD-478 ($34). Is this the right part????
          87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• Ralph
            Third Member
            • Apr 11, 2000

DLyons: Yes, you da guy! I just didn't want to go searching through my inbox to find your name.

Anyway...

You mentioned that it runs smoother, but you haven't noticed any improvement in mileage or accelaration?
            We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

Mileage is still about 9 mpg. The accelleration might be better but it is hard to tell with an almost 5000lb vehicle. It does start alot easier however.

Comment

Wingo, I tried to E-mail you back, but for some reason it wouldn't work. Anyway, I gapped the plugs at .045 . Any more ??s just send them to me and I'll try to answer them.

------------------
                DLyons
                84 Grand Wagoneer
                360-727-229-3.31s
                2" Suspension Lift
                2 1/2" Body Lift(HomeMade)
                Redneck Engineering at its finest!

Comment

Working...
                X