• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wagoneer-ing
    232 I6
    • Sep 14, 2012

Axles..

So I originally was going to go D60 front and rear, but that was before I realized I love my Waggy too much and wanted to make it a DD. Sooo now I have gravitated to just running D44 front and rear. The only reason I'm wanting a D44 rear is because I could get one relatively cheap that has disc brakes on it already. I was just curious what kind of modifications this might need. Do I need another master cylinder? More hard lines? I'm about to replace all my brakes and figured I may do it all in one go. Also..for some reason my Waggy/s axles are set at 2.73 and it has never been a crawler and as far as I know has never had any modifications. Did they set the axles at that ratio from factory? I'm hoping to find a D44 with 4.10 gears so I won't have to swap gears in my AMC 20 while also getting disc brakes.
    1968 M715 - Resto-Mod, Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25, AMC 360/727/208, 37" hummer tires, metal hard top, and a ton of work to do!
  • Bjtgtr
    232 I6
    • Jan 03, 2012

2.73's are stock gears. That is what my 89 had in it. Although 89's had D44's front and rear from the factory.

For your master cylinder get yourself a unit for a late 90's GM 1ton van ( I think I used one for a 99 if memory serves me correctly ) that came standard with 4 wheel disc brakes.

The rear axle I would suggest to look for is early 90's Isuzu Rodeo. They came with D44's, rear disc w/ ebrake, and are 4.10 gear ratios. Some even had LSD's. When I swapped the 1 tons onto my waggy I gave my dad my front D44 to use under 62 Willys wagon and we used the rear D44 out of a 93 Isuzu Rodeo. The WMS measurement was with an inch or so of what the rear D44 out of my 89 waggy was.

I found all the info about the Isuzu over on pirate 4x4 in the Isuzu section last year when we were doing the swap. I picked up the rear at one of our local scrapyards called Crazy Rays and paid a total of $110 for it. When I get a chance today I'll post a picture of the donor vehicle and the rear

My $0.02
    -BJ-
    1989 Grand Wagoneer FOR SALE. PM me for details
    D60f, D70r, 360/727/300 twin sticked, 37"s, 4w discs, 64" rear springs, RSF, SOA, blah, blah, blah

2001 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke DD

Comment

• Wagoneer-ing
      232 I6
      • Sep 14, 2012

Your $0.02 is appreciated! An Izuzu rodeo axle is what I was going to get actually!
      1968 M715 - Resto-Mod, Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25, AMC 360/727/208, 37" hummer tires, metal hard top, and a ton of work to do!

Comment

4.10s are great for tall tires and/or no freeway driving unless you have an overdrive.
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• CutterN55
          350 Buick
          • Mar 09, 2009

Originally posted by Carnuck
          4.10s are great for tall tires and/or no freeway driving unless you have an overdrive.
          Carnuck-
          That's a pretty generalized statement. While I understand what you are saying and agree with you... in cases of most DD 3spd FSJ's with 33's (maybe 35's) and down tire sizes that holds true, but not in all situations.

I think it's more about the gear combos (including trans and t-case) and tire size.

I ran 36's with a 1:1 4th gear with 4.10's all day long on the highway. It was sweet. But I also had deep enough gears in 2nd and 3rd to make up for the tall differential gear to tire size combination for the low end power.

that being said, what holds true for a wag with a shallow geared three speed, 33's (a common size) and 4.10's is not going to be the same for a different trans combo and tire size.

I've seen a lot of gear/tire combo questions coming up lately. Maybe some of the new guys haven't seen this, but it's an awesome tool.

ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
          Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
          Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
          new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
          37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

Working...
          X