Yet another diesel conversion project (YADC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • budojeepr
    350 Buick
    • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by DieselSJ
    This should help with your glow plug wiring...
    Thanks!

Whoa. I'm gonna need my readers...
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• budojeepr
      350 Buick
      • Feb 02, 2006

Lockup wiring diagram

See http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showp...5&postcount=9:

Last edited by budojeepr; 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM.
      Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• budojeepr
        350 Buick
        • Feb 02, 2006

Got the new motor mounts from Novak today. They look exactly like what I need. They even sent a UPS ticket to send the old stuff back.

I'll try 'em out later (in the morning when it's not a zillion degrees in the garage - we hit 103 today), and as usual, post some pics and commentary.

Comment

• budojeepr
          350 Buick
          • Feb 02, 2006

Yet Another Test Fit - different mounts

The new motor mounts work much better.

Passenger side:

Driver side, before modification:

My modification to allow steering shaft clearance. Drilled a new hole 1-1/16" up from middle hole, cut off corner to clear:

The fit, after the mod:

Looks like it will work famously. I'm ready to tack-weld the mounts and check the fit. Then, burn them in. I think I'll move that gas can in the background before I strike a spark.

New issue: The transfer case clocked to work with the GM adapter hangs too low. The front drive shaft will hit the crossmember, and the transfer case is a rock-attractant. I'm going to investigate custom transmission/transfer case adapters...

(I got to do my bench-press practice today! An NP208 is a lot lighter than an NP205!)

Comment

• wickedwagon767
            304 AMC
            • Dec 26, 2005

Well well

what are you concocting here Bradford

Is this going into Leroy?

Comment

• wickedwagon767
              304 AMC
              • Dec 26, 2005

Originally posted by budojeepr
              Howdy,

I thought I'd introduce my new diesel Wagoneer project.
              Nevermind. I went back and actually READ the original post

Comment

• budojeepr
                350 Buick
                • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by wickedwagon767
                Well well
                what are you concocting here Bradford
                Is this going into Leroy?
                Welcome back, ww. Haven't seen you around these parts in quite a spell.

I thought this project would be a simpler one than the 454 for Leroy. HOWEVER, that is not the case. I'm (re-)learning the lesson that there is no such thing as a one-component swap.

Change the engine and transmission, and end up with new heads, injectors, glow plugs, intake and exhaust manifolds, switching to turbo, transmission shift kit, new torque converter, rebuild the transfer case, modify crossmember, upgrade front suspension, new exhaust, probably will modify drive shafts, new shifter, different heater core/fan, cooling system. Fancy-pants digital gauges. Oh, and re-gear the front axle and put in a locker while I'm at it. Woosh.

And I found out last week that CA DMV lost the Wyoming title and wants me to get a duplicate before I can renew the registration. I already did that once... Anybody heard from user "Brad W" lately (rhetorical - I'll do a search)?

I won't have to worry about the high cost of diesel fuel. I'll be smack out of cash by the time the Jeep's ready to drive!
                Last edited by budojeepr; 05-19-2008, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                  304 AMC
                  • May 19, 2003

New issue: The transfer case clocked to work with the GM adapter hangs too low. The front drive shaft will hit the crossmember, and the transfer case is a rock-attractant. I'm going to investigate custom transmission/transfer case adapters...

(I got to do my bench-press practice today! An NP208 is a lot lighter than an NP205!)

Are you missing something? Like maybe your rubber mount? Doesn't it go between the crossmember and the adapter? That will raise the tcase a couple inches.
                  -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                  -99 XJ Limited.
                  -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                  -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• budojeepr
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 02, 2006

Are you missing something? Like maybe your rubber mount? Doesn't it go between the crossmember and the adapter? That will raise the tcase a couple inches.
                    Good eye, nice catch. The GM adapter is already a couple inches taller than the Jeep one. I was already planning to drop it via a crossmember mod so that the rear output would be in the original location.

It's the clocking that did it. It rotated perhaps 15 degrees CW (from the front) which dropped the front output quite a bit. I can design the crossmember modification around the front output, but it's still going to put that transfer case in harm's way. A nice custom adapter (like this one from Novak - $485.50! ) would solve all these issues; I just don't have the technology myself to create one.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                      304 AMC
                      • May 19, 2003

Good eye, nice catch. The GM adapter is already a couple inches taller than the Jeep one. I was already planning to drop it via a crossmember mod so that the rear output would be in the original location.

It's the clocking that did it. It rotated perhaps 15 degrees CW (from the front) which dropped the front output quite a bit. I can design the crossmember modification around the front output, but it's still going to put that transfer case in harm's way. A nice custom adapter (like this one from Novak - $485.50! ) would solve all these issues; I just don't have the technology myself to create one.
                      How about running a clocking ring? MUCH cheaper than an adapter.
                      -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                      -99 XJ Limited.
                      -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises

Comment

• wickedwagon767
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 26, 2005

I thought this project would be a simpler one than the 454 for Leroy. HOWEVER, that is not the case. I'm (re-)learning the lesson that there is no such thing as a one-component swap.

Anybody heard from user "Brad W" lately (rhetorical - I'll do a search)?

I won't have to worry about the high cost of diesel fuel. I'll be smack out of cash by the time the Jeep's ready to drive!

I'm running into some of my own potholes! Absolutely right. No sucha thing as a one-component swap. I'm swapping Dana60's under Sinjin with 38's. The Quadratrac won't survive...which means T-case swap and driveshafts......oh,wait, forgot the D60 front swap means I get to/have to run crossover steering too.......more power,cooling,cage,bumpers.......bank loan!

you can only hope to retain some sanity by laughing at yourself

Brad W just posted within the last day. Just don't remember where I saw him post

Comment

• budojeepr
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 02, 2006

How about running a clocking ring? MUCH cheaper than an adapter.
                          Never heard of such a thing. Got a vendor? How would it work? Would the thickness of the ring affect the strength of the shaft/spline/input gear joint? Would that also affect the drive shaft lengths? The way it's working out now, even with the Novak adapter, I won't have to change the drive shafts at all.

Moot point...I've already ordered an adapter, sans shaft, from Novak.

Here are some pics from last night's welding of engine mounts, and the suspension with the engine weight on (I know, a lot of stuff is still missing that would add a lot of weight). A nice stroke of luck - one of the holes for the welds in the Novak mounts on each side works for the shock mounts. How cool is that?

Also, the front axle/suspension/steering is still WAY dirty. That whole assembly is coming out so I can do spring work and gearing, once I have the engine/trans swap stuff worked out. Then it's clean and paint time!

Comment

• DieselSJ
                            304 AMC
                            • May 19, 2003

A clocking ring is just a 3/4" thick ring that bolts between the trans and transfer case. It has multiple patterns so it lets you clock the tcase in 5 or 6 different positions. Advance has them, and I would imagine that Novak has them also. IIRC they were about $100 or so.
                            -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• budojeepr
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 02, 2006

The Novak adapter came in yesterday. Seriously nice piece of casting/machine work. I'll have some time this weekend to put it in and get the crossmember all set.

Then we're off doing details. Feels like it's coming together!

Comment

• budojeepr
                                350 Buick
                                • Feb 02, 2006

Main tasks are done

Got the transfer case mounted up with the Novak adapter today. The foot they supplied bolted right to the same holes the old one used. It's all in the same location; the drive shafts should not need any modifications save new u-joints.

My assistant, Rock Star. Not good at swapping tools or fetching the occasional beverage, but he has a great can-do attitude.

Comment

Working...
                                X