• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
    Al, if you can flatten that out and scan it, I can probably make a 3d rendering that would go a long way to be able to easily (relative term, right?) manufacture a properly fitting ABS part
    Greg, I don't have a scanner that is big enough. I am sort of like SJTD as tracing it out would be the first thing I would attempt. Could I trace it onto brown kraft paper and send it to you?

I will say that I am really eager to send Sadie home. There are so many things I want to make it's nuts... I don't feel like I can devote time to R+D to get the several ideas nailed. Not with Sadie so darn close to being done. I will have to devote time for door panels and I am working on it. Same with the door sill plates. I am just having an issue with the longer ones on the front doors.
    Let me know if a tracing would work for you. Bill would be happy to know his old crusty glove box is getting the eye.

I have Sadies old metal dash mounted for recovering dash pads. It seems like it is ready to use for testing custom bent ABS glove boxes. I will research where to get it. And or, Possibly kydex like you would use for a holster? Not that I have ever made a holster....

Stumplake, I got your email. And a reply has been sent. Thank you.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Stumplake
      Just looked back at my receipts. I did buy the cardboard glove box at BJ's
      I's a super tight fit but it's in and looks really good . Took me 3-4 beers I think.
      W
      Well that is cool. At least they are getting made and fit for the most part.
      It takes some of the need to get them made right away. 3-4 beers sounds about right. Man, a cold beer sounds good. It has been 12 years no alcohol for me. I tried hard to explode my liver and came close, but made it through.
      It still sounds good though.

Thanks for letting the masses know on the glove box.

I just had a thought.... Uh Oh.... On the cardboard glove box. Could you not seal it and strengthen it with minwax wood hardener? I plan on using it on door panels to seal them. That stuff is amazing.

Anyway...
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

A little accidental caffeinated discovery this morning. Since it decided to get below zero again last night, and my mini shop was teetering just above freezing, I was trying to get the feeling back in my fingers so I could pry the black cap off a propane bottle for some slowly applied heat. I had a realization.

The black cap on the propane bottle looked like the perfect diameter of a door lock cylinder. This cap here.

I put two washers in it to set the cut height and held it in place with a 1/2 inch drive extension. I got a pretty decent cut from this method.

Then thankfully I had a gasket punch the looked like the right diameter. A couple whacks with a BFH and time for a test fit. Sorry about the blurry photo. I don't have my new glasses yet.

Well I'll be..

Another.

Now I have no idea on how long this plastic will last on a door in the sun. But like Greg mentioned, his locks are loose. This could take care of that till I can cast something up.

And what is going on with the glove box door? I painted it again and it came out way better. I have had it sitting next to our woodstove getting a nice cure on for several days. This is not painting weather. So I was getting set up to put it in this morning when I got the idea on the door lock. I hope to button up the dash today. The sun is out. It's darn bright and still only 9.8 degrees above zero. Almost time to plant the garden.
        Melford1972 says...
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
          327 Rambler
          • Dec 04, 2016

Very nice. Sometimes those accidental solutions are the best.
          1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
          Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Yes indeed! OK so the dash is done. No I mean really done. No more messing around in, under or through it. And I will say that is the noisiest glove box clock I have ever heard. It works great. But it is loud. Like tic, tic tic in a folgers can loud. I absolutely love it.

Hey, how can I post a short .MOV video?

Here is the glove box. I even called the wife out to have a look and listen.

Now this is cool.
            I had the tire pressure decal reproduced to exactly what was in there from 1970.

The drivers side decals.

The whole inside. Now for the surprises. I found a used 1970 owners manual. It is in back there.

That is cool but this rocks. I have been dying to show this. Here is an extremely rare UNOPENED Kaiser Jeep new vehicle owners kit. Every purchaser got one of these kits with warranty card, intro to your Jeep, etc

Today is a nice milestone. Here are the dash shots Jaber requested.

Hard to do the whole dash. So half and half?

The speaker grill was sprayed with cerakote. Remember the BATF disclaimer? I will spare you all.

Great back lighting.

One more thing marked off....
            Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 02-24-2019, 04:30 PM.
            Melford1972 says...
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• jaber
              Dragin Az
              • Oct 17, 2003

Thank you Al, as usual it is absolutely amazing. That clock is beautiful.
              Jeff

'43 cj2a
              '51 Willys p/u
              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
              '68 Panel Delivery
              '74 CJ5
              '75 J-20 Wrecker
              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
              '77 J-10 p/u
              '79 Cherokee
              '88 Grand Wagoneer
              '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

Thanks Jeff!! I have an idea on your headlight adjusters. I need to go to the store for a specific rivet. I will get back with you on it.
                Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• chubbinius
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 31, 2018

That dash looks fantastic, Al. Love the clock and the speaker grille, they look great.

So cool to see the decals on the glove box door too. I just picked up a 1970 owner's manual for mine at the Big3 Auto Parts Exchange/Swap-meet they had down in San Diego this Saturday. I will have to look for the new owner's kit/warranty cards too. Sadie looks better than new and has all the paperwork to prove it!
                  1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                  -Dauntless 350 V8
                  -D27 front/D44 rear
                  2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Watching you do the details is great. But when you put it all together, stand back and look at the forest vs. the trees, it's breath taking. Your build makes me feel like I use the phrase "Breath taking" too much but my lexicon is too small to find anything else that describes seeing a dash like that.

I think Kaiser and Jeep absolutely nailed the design of our dashes. The early dash (like this one) and the mid generation dashes (the ones like 74-84'ish) are so classy and timeless looking. Seeing one this perfect just reinforces that opinion in my melon. I know our gauges are horribly inaccurate but they look so great.

When you buy Cerakote, do you get a good deal for a larger purchase? I purchased some for another "project" in the past and it was absolutely expensive. I loved it and felt like it was worth what I paid but the amount you use is pretty extensive and I am wondering if you have a secret source that makes buying it a little more palatable.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                      Watching you do the details is great. But when you put it all together, stand back and look at the forest vs. the trees, it's breath taking. Your build makes me feel like I use the phrase "Breath taking" too much but my lexicon is too small to find anything else that describes seeing a dash like that.

I think Kaiser and Jeep absolutely nailed the design of our dashes. The early dash (like this one) and the mid generation dashes (the ones like 74-84'ish) are so classy and timeless looking. Seeing one this perfect just reinforces that opinion in my melon. I know our gauges are horribly inaccurate but they look so great.

When you buy Cerakote, do you get a good deal for a larger purchase? I purchased some for another "project" in the past and it was absolutely expensive. I loved it and felt like it was worth what I paid but the amount you use is pretty extensive and I am wondering if you have a secret source that makes buying it a little more palatable.
                      I absolutely feel the same about these dashes. They have so much style. I sat and stared at it for a while then went and got the wife. She was mumbling about having to put on boots and coats just to make the trip till she saw it. I turned the clock on and said, just listen to that.
                      Sometimes stuff really drags for me trying to achieve what I desire. But the payoff is good.

Cerakote is really a neat coating. I have been buying the sample bottles. With an exception of the clears made for aluminum, They about 35 a piece and not cheap. No I don't have a way of getting a deal. I wish I did.
                      I spend a lot of money on ideas and trying stuff out. Most of the time it pays off because of a lot of thought. When it does not I look at the reject idea pile and realize there is some expense involved. Wasted expense.

I know cerakote is made and designed for guns. I think the automotive applications are endless. I have found it is far superior and stronger to any paint and even more simple to apply since it requires no hardener or reducer. I have a fancy mini spray gun, but most all the time now I use the disposable "preval" hardware store sprayers. I warm them in my arm pit for more pressure. For anyone reading this I only use air cure and not oven cure.
                      I found the glacial black is a dead ringer on the front razor grill for the black inlay. I love the stuff. Cerakote is not super cheap like a can of krylon. But it is so good I plan on lots more in my future. I rotate my sample bottles laying on their sides every other day to keep the solids in suspension. I am glad to see others using it.

EDIT: Here is a link to cerakote. I have found their site can be difficult to navigate. Hang in there.

Cerakote is a global leader in the manufacturing of thin-film protective ceramic coatings. Specialized finishes for Automotive, Aerospace, Industrial, Consumer Electronics, Sports & Fitness and more. Browse our Gallery, locate a Certified Applicator, or contact us about your coating needs.
                      Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 02-25-2019, 10:34 AM.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Towtruck
                        350 Buick
                        • Oct 11, 2001

Al, Did you use Ceracote on both the speaker grill mesh and the "chrome" frame? Both look spectacular. The whole dang vehicle looks spectacular!Thanks
                        J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Towtruck
                          Al, Did you use Ceracote on both the speaker grill mesh and the "chrome" frame? Both look spectacular. The whole dang vehicle looks spectacular!Thanks
                          I sprayed just the grill. I had to dig for the surround. Most are pitted and this one is starting to show signs. The neat thing about cerakote is the huge variety of colors they offer in air cure. I have used satin nickel and satin magnesium for sheens that resemble either zinc or some of the cast parts like the steering column shift indicator frame. Cerakote is a very thin product. It is sensitive to dirt and dust. So wiping the part down and getting it super clean is important.
                          I sure like it though. Especially since it is tough as nails.
                          Melford1972 says...
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

OK today was spent with my cousin in a nearby town. He generously devoted his day to helping me create a DXF file to get door panels made. Front and back base panels to build off of. Armed with a front and back door shell, the drawings I had made, and some SS rulers and a front and rear used panel minus vinyl I headed his way. The guy is a master. We laid everything out and measured and transferred it to the computer.

My drawings.

Working the details.

Eventually we came up with a product. The front door.

The back door almost done.

I have the completed files right here. Next step is to find someone in Spokane down south to laser or water jet out one of each. Test the fit on a door and make any adjustments to the files. Then burn another set, test fit them and then make several blanks for me to mess with. I have several ideas on embossing, chrome extrusion, and final details. Time to get these figured out. This is the last big challenge. I want something really nice looking. And durable. I will post my progress.
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Towtruck
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 11, 2001

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                              I sprayed just the grill. I had to dig for the surround. Most are pitted and this one is starting to show signs. The neat thing about cerakote is the huge variety of colors they offer in air cure. I have used satin nickel and satin magnesium for sheens that resemble either zinc or some of the cast parts like the steering column shift indicator frame. Cerakote is a very thin product. It is sensitive to dirt and dust. So wiping the part down and getting it super clean is important.
                              I sure like it though. Especially since it is tough as nails.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the surround on my truck is showing signs of deterioration as well.
                              J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

I have a wednesday appointment at the water jet company for these panel boards.
                                Things are going to be a little slow here till I have something. These panels are a huge process. I know what I want and now it is how do I get there.
                                I have both door panel styles vinyl embossing mapped out. I am going to be meeting with my cousin to convert them to a file a water jet can read. Using metal plate I intend to make full size stamps to reproduce the patterns in the door panels. It may be a huge success, it may not be. I may not know what I am doing here, but comma I will find a way...

Drawings of an X model door panel, and drawings of a base model door panel.
                                Depending on costs, I may only do the x model. Not sure yet.

I am ordering door sill embossed metal. Ordering pinch weld slip on black trim, and a few other small nit noids. I am really close to being done.

Happy Saturday.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                                X