• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brubakes
    350 Buick
    • Jun 25, 2009

muscle to rhino swap miscellaneous parts

I am planning on swapping my muscle grill for a rhino. I have the rhino grill itself, the "fog light" cover plates, the headlamps, headlamp buckets, and headlamp surround rings. What else am I missing? I took off my muscle grill to get an idea on what else was needed and notice none of the mounting brackets for the rhino seem to match up other then the bottom center hold and that one I'm not sure how to screw in.

Does anyone have a parts list or some pictures of the swap I can work from?
    FSJless.... for now....
  • Knuck
    350 Buick
    • Jun 13, 2008

The Rhino should just bolt in using existing holes. The only fab work will be getting your headlight buckets mounted.
    81 J20 "Mater", 401/T-18/NP208, Rhino Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring lift, extended length front shackles, 2" rear blocks. LT285/70r-16 M.T. Baja Claws, Front Locker, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper under construction.

Comment

• FSJK
      258 I6
      • Feb 12, 2009

You will have all your old mounting brackets sticking out...most people grind or cut them off.

I did, then decided to switch back to a Muscle and now I'm trying to get them back!

I would keep your truck Muscle...it looks mint, and is year original...But, that's just my opinion.

Comment

• brubakes
        350 Buick
        • Jun 25, 2009

I have seen people do the work needed for the headlamp buckets, so I think I'm okay there, but it would just not seem the grill bolts up. I thought that was the easy part.
        FSJless.... for now....

Comment

• jpcoutts
          304 AMC
          • Jun 28, 2002

Do a search. There are a lot of threads about this swap.
          Jim C
          '67 J3000 Dually
          '86 J20
          '79 CJ5(in pieces)
          '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
          Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• BGW
            350 Buick
            • Jan 02, 2009

Originally posted by FSJK
            I would keep your truck Muscle...it looks mint, and is year original...But, that's just my opinion.

X2, it looks great already. I seem to be the only person here that isn't bonkers over the rhino grilles. Muscle grilles are my 2nd favorite, next to the bOObie.

When you're done with your old one, I might be interested in buying it if it's in good shape.
            1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• 91G-Dub
              360 AMC
              • Aug 21, 2004

Originally posted by brubakes
              I have seen people do the work needed for the headlamp buckets, so I think I'm okay there, but it would just not seem the grill bolts up. I thought that was the easy part.
              The grill itself will bolt right up, no modification is needed. Pie plates bolt directly in also. You will need to modify the attachment for mounting the lights.
              91G-Dub = Bill Houston

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
              1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
              It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• brubakes
                350 Buick
                • Jun 25, 2009

Okay, I see better now in the sunlight how the grill will bolt in. Looks like I have to move or somehow squeeze the tranny cooler back a little bit first then I can mount up the grill.
                FSJless.... for now....

Comment

Working...
                X