• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walt
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2003

CS-144 Alternator Installed!

Hey All,
    I just got the cs144 installed and it was about as simple as mods get. Voltage stays pinned just below the mark above 13 V, even at idle! I'll put a meter on it tonight and see exactly what it's doing.
    I found the adapter part number Echlin EC82 and the vehicle application listed in Spectre and others' posts (big help, thanks guys!):
    90-95 Cadillac Deville w/o heated windshield
    But there was no mention of the motor displacement in those threads. I got the one for 4.9 L and it works great. AFAICT the 4.6 application is identical except the clocking, but I did not get my hands on one.
    Removing the serpentine pully was a little harder than I expected. Napa couldn't get it off, so I had to do it myself; it had a tapered split sleeve making it a press fit, so required a puller to get it off. Of course I ruined the serp pully, but I have no use for it anyway.
    The 4.9 configuration has the plug clocked facing down, parallel with a line drawn between the two mounting holes, low on the drivers side. The output terminal is low on the passenger side. The plug facing down is important because the notch it creates is needed to clear the oil filter.
    The oil filter limits the adjustment range and makes it hard to get the belts on, but otherwise it works great. Unlike the other writeups I made no modification to the slotted support or alternator tab. The slotted arm goes behind the bottom tab as original and uses the new 10 mm adjuster bolt. There is no extra clearance in the slot, but it goes in fine. I filed the threads down a few thou near the bolt head to make sure it didn't bind in the slot while adjusting, but I don't think it was really necessary.
    For the time being I have a couple of washers on the pivot bolt to shim where the original rear support was; I'm planning to make a new rear support, but I'm not in a big hurry. There is a bolt hole on the back of the alt nearest the pivot bolt that I think will work well for this. I'll post some pictures when I come up with a solution.
    For a new charging cable, I went to the boat store and got 2' of red marine fine strand #6 cable, 2x 5/16 ring terminals and 2x rubber end caps for about $10 and it makes a very neat solution. Of course you will need a battery cable crimper to swedge the ends...
    Some have recommended significantly bigger cables, but #6 is rated for 120 A continuous in marine applications and I doubt it will ever see current that high.
    This is a super easy install and I think the enhanced low speed output makes it well worth the trouble. It's really not much bigger than the SI-12.
    I have no experience with the cs130, but I was afraid it would have poor idle output like the SI-12 did. This could be especially significant if you are ever thinking about putting in a big electric fan.
    Walt

[ January 25, 2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Walt ]
    90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!
  • Walt
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2003

Oh, BTW, interesting note on napa policy. I bought an alt there about 6 mo ago and it started putting out like 16 v, so I decided to accelerate my plan to put in the cs144. I was going to geta cs144 from a junk yard, exchange the si-12, and keep it as a spare. Just for giggles I asked napa if I could get a different alt as a warranty exchange and they said yes! So I was able to trade in the SI-12 for full credit on a new cs144.
    90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• Charlie_B
      327 Rambler
      • Dec 18, 2005

Originally posted by Walt:
      So I was able to trade in the SI-12 for full credit on a new cs144.
      So I should be able to take my SI in, and get a core refund on the CS I bought last Fri? Hmmmm. I think I might go to Napa after work today and try that...
      '79 Cherokee "Goldie" - under the knife Part I; Part II
      Currently: body is on, now finishing undercarriage
      '92 Cherokee "Rusty" - 3" lift, 31s
      '05 Evo MR "Eve"

Comment

• Charlie_B
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 18, 2005

Worked like a champ. He remembered who I was, and what I was doing with the CS series alternator. (at least I dont feel like I was scamming..) No questions asked, and gave me my $62. Sure glad I read this post. I had written it off...
        '79 Cherokee "Goldie" - under the knife Part I; Part II
        Currently: body is on, now finishing undercarriage
        '92 Cherokee "Rusty" - 3" lift, 31s
        '05 Evo MR "Eve"

Comment

• chr1s
          360 AMC
          • Jun 17, 2003

87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
          88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
          "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

According to rockauto.com the following clocking positions:

Jeep grand wagoneer = 9
            95 caddy deville 4.9L = 2
            95 caddy deville concours 4.6L = 11

I might be pretty f-ing hot, more than a few folks on here told me to get the concours without heated windshield, and well....

Hope I have the right one....

[ January 26, 2006, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Jeepeta ]

Comment

• 89grand
              Resident ***hole
              • Feb 23, 2003

Originally posted by Jeepeta:

Jeep grand wagoneer = 9

I might be pretty f-ing hot, more than a few folks on here told me to get the concours without heated windshield, and well....

As long as the plug reaches and nothing prevents you from plugging the plug in, it really doesn't matter what the clock position is.
              Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
              31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
              2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
              2000 Jeep Wrangler
              1988 Cadillac Brougham
              1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
              1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

WTF wouldn't we put on a CS-144 with clocking postion of 9 to match the oem orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by 89grand:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jeepeta:

Jeep grand wagoneer = 9

As long as the plug reaches and nothing prevents you from plugging the plug in, it really doesn't matter what the clock position is.</font>[/QUOTE]Hey Steve are you sure about that, Walt says in his experience the clocking position (2btw) he got with the 4.9 variant was essential for clearing the oil filter housing!

I'm only *****in cuz I am leaving for the local Autozone in 5 minutes or so to get a replacement for the one I received from autozone.com since the case was cracked. I want to get the right one!

[ January 26, 2006, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Jeepeta ]

Comment

• 89grand
                    Resident ***hole
                    • Feb 23, 2003

There certainly could be some clocking positions that might cause problems. The 9 position would be pretty much necessary for a stock replacement so that the plugs reached. Since we need an adapter that plugs into the orginal plug it makes it quite a bit longer so it'll reach no matter what the position is.

I haven't done mine yet, so there may be some clearance issues with certain clock positions, but the plugs will reach.
                    Steve

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
                    2000 Jeep Wrangler
                    1988 Cadillac Brougham
                    1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• Spectre
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Nov 26, 2004

With the 9 o clock position, you end up scorching the adapter harness. The 2 o clock is preferred.

I wasn't aware that *anyone* had gotten the Deville Concours in the 4.6L, much less that it had been offered in the US. Most books and parts stores assume that it's the 4.9.
                      "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• Spectre
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Nov 26, 2004

Comparison pictures of a 12SI and my CS144: http://www.dallasdrivers.org/gallery/album71

Our mount is "inverted" from the GM reference mount, so the plug ends up pointing down and away from the engine when the CS144 is installed.

[ January 26, 2006, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Spectre ]
                        "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• Rob z
                          350 Buick
                          • May 05, 2005

Can the cs144 be reclocked like the cs130?
                          89 Grand Rottweiler shuttle

Comment

Originally posted by 89grand:

I haven't done mine yet, so there may be some clearance issues with certain clock positions, but the plugs will reach.
                            smack!

Comment

• 89grand
                              Resident ***hole
                              • Feb 23, 2003

Originally posted by Jeepeta:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 89grand:

smack!</font>[/QUOTE]
                              Steve

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
                              2000 Jeep Wrangler
                              1988 Cadillac Brougham
                              1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

Working...
                              X