• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texafornian
    258 I6
    • Apr 01, 2014

Need Help with new window seals '89 GW

Hi all. I recently purchased a full set of window seals and glass guide tracks from Kenosha Classics (Team Grand Wagoneer). I purchased from them because this was the only place I could find a full set of window seals, and they had supplied me with good parts in the past. However, there appears to be some serious problems with the seals themselves. The new guide tracks fit perfectly and measured the same as stock. They riveted right in place without a hitch. The problem is with the rubber and felt seals. The mechanic tells me that they do not fit properly. That it appears that he is unable to get them to fully seat inside the guide tracks properly. This results in them binding on the window glass, preventing the windows from rolling up or down. In addition, the front door vent window seal, does not have enough bottom flap to properly seal against the door body and there appears to be light showing through the seal at the hinge/swivel location. Does anyone know of a fix for these issues? has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there any other vendor that supplies complete sets of the rubber and felt seals for the GW's windows, front and rear? I have been trying to connect with Kenosha Classics, but so far, there has been no response to my phone calls or email. I have not had this problem with them before, so I am feeling quite a bit frustrated, as my Jeep sits in the shop costing me money. I cannot have the old parts reinstalled, because they just crumbled into fragments upon removal. Assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Sincerely.
    ~Jim Sherlock~
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

well thats classic TGW for you..... zero communication

Yes this is a common problem many of us have had with the binding. mine were very tight as well, it took a long time to roll up/down the window. the only thing that helped was to force them up/down many times and lube the channels with silicone spray liberally, it makes a mess but helps them to seat correctly. IIRC it took like a month for mine to break in

another vendor wont help me thinks as they all come from the same source my vent windows were somewhat similar, i had to glue down the bottom edge to the door
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Texafornian
      258 I6
      • Apr 01, 2014

Thank you for your response. I have a silly question. Would putting the rubber and felt seals in the refrigerator or freezer for a short time, shrink them enough to ensure they get fully seated into the guide tracks? My second question, is how did you get your windows to go up and down without burning out the motors? My mechanic tells me the fronts will go up and down slowly, but the rears won
      ~Jim Sherlock~

Comment

• ZackN920
        350 Buick
        • Nov 18, 2015

What are you talking about here, the window tracks that the glass slides up and down in, or the window wipes that are rubber/felt that you'd rest your arm on(on the doors)?

Sounds like your talking about both sometimes...

Check out BJ's Fullsize Jeep parts as another source for parts. IF you decide to buy anything from them, let them know your a member here at IFSJA and they'll give you a small % discount on almost everything they sell.

I recently got a set of window wipes (from BJ's) to replace my cracked up junk that was on my doors. All the tabs matched where they were supposed to and after a couple of days the windows go back up and down with ease. (At first the rears were a little stiff) They dont fit as tight as the old, but I dont care, just as long as they stay in place.

Just as tripwire said, about twice a year I lube the channels the glass goes up and down in. That keeps them going easily too. Do the same with my tailgate too.
        Be sure to check the amount of electricity those motors see. If its low, they won't have much torque to go up and down, so they WILL be slow.
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Texafornian
          258 I6
          • Apr 01, 2014

It is the vertical seals for the window guide tracks and the front window vent wing window seal. The wipes do not appear to be an issue.
          ~Jim Sherlock~

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Can't speak for TGW never ordered anything from them.

Recently installed fairchild brand window seals purchased from rockauto and they fit/worked perfectly.

If anything you want to slightly warm the rubber bits and use some light soapy water if you're having fitment issues.
            Laying them out in the sun, or light heat like hairdryer on lowest setting.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Texafornian
              258 I6
              • Apr 01, 2014

May I ask, how did you get the seals for the entire periphery of the rear passenger windows? I looked it up at Rockauto.com and they only show one division bar and the front door wing window seals. The GW has two seals on each side of the rear window (front and rear of the glass pane), and one at the top that the glass slides into when fully closed. Thank you.
              ~Jim Sherlock~

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

rockauto is a dropshipper if parts are unavailable or out of stock they sometimes drop them from listings.

All the part numbers are on fairchild site...
                KD1017 & KD1020 (rear seal kits)
                Do a search...generally not hard to find things for these w/ a little effort.
                Tony

Comment

• Texafornian
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 01, 2014

Thank you for the information. Especially the part numbers. I do not intend to sound impertinent, but I did go to Fairchild Industries and did a search, as well as Rockauto, the only ones I found were the wings and the division bars themselves. Again, thank you so much for your sharing your knowledge.
                  ~Jim Sherlock~

Comment

• Texafornian
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 01, 2014

One last question for you. Did you get the KD 1017 or 1017A’s. I spoke with Fairchild and the 1017 is a one piece 55” strip intended to go all the way around. While the 1017A’s are individual pieces in a quantity of four. Which confuses me, because there should only be three. Inside the front division bar, the rear division bar, and at the top. Thank you so much.
                    ~Jim Sherlock~

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

I only have done my fronts so far.
                      Rears are similar...
                      division seal attaches to small windows and lower door shell
                      window door frame seals fold into 3 areas of door frames
                      so i believe just need those 2 parts per door.

appears kd1017a is a kit for all 4 door...read descriptions
                      Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 10, 2016

I did all my window seals and wipes from TGW and had no problems with the product fitment. They were a bich to work in to the upper corners and had to do some wrestling with nylon prybars to get them to seat all the way. Syl-glide or favorite silicone lube the crap out of the tracks and anything that moves.

Best way to get ahold of them is by phone when the first open in the morning. Has taken a few days but they’ll answer.

I broke mine/adjusted in by having the regulator mount bolts slightly loosened, then rolling windows up and down a few times to have it settle in the best spot with least resistance, then tighten it all up.

The electrical needs to be cleaned up on the switches as well. Make sure your getting enough voltage through the switches to run the windows else you’ll seem like it’s dragging and slow.

Have fun lol.
                        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• ShagWagon
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 10, 2016

The one slide is easy IIRC. The others have to remove the wing window, drill out rivets and re rivet it back in and that
                          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• jeepman42
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 13, 2019

wipes & rivets

Had window probs when I replaced vertical fuzzies a few yrs ago also. I felt available rivets were thicker than the originals. beat down with a flat punch on the bench. thought about grinding ,but then would they hold? reinstalled but even now ,snug. Rears still need finger help! LUBE & pray!
                            Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

Working...
                            X