• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Probesport
    232 I6
    • Apr 15, 2015

Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Should the engine be accelerated and the crossover become restrictive, the increased backpressure will blow open the heat riser like the blow-off valve on a turbocharger.
    This isn't the best analogy, a turbo bypass or blowoff valve doesn't work that way. Also the heat riser valve itself is thermostatically controlled, once the exhaust warms up the coil, then the valve opens.

You also need to make sure that any aftermarket manifolds you use have a provision for it or the valve is more or less useless.
    Ken S.
    Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Megasquirt EFI
    : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
    Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• Herk
      350 Buick
      • Jun 12, 2006

The riser valve, when functioning is also spring loaded and will blow open under load, minimizing any restriction. The factory choke needs exhaust through the cross-over to release. This is one of those parts like the hot air hose to the air cleaner that costs no power but will cause the engine to run much better and actually saves fuel.

I have experimented with blocking the cross-over and removing the riser valve. No power increase, but cold weather performance suffered greatly.
      There are 2 rules to success in life...
      Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
      2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Herk
        ... This is one of those parts like the hot air hose to the air cleaner that costs no power but will cause the engine to run much better and actually saves fuel. ...
        And vapor recovery. No cost in performance or maintenance, clear benefit.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FSJunkie
          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
          • Jan 09, 2011

I expected to see my last post broken up into quotes and ripped apart piece by piece by people who disagree with me and think I'm full of BS by now. This is a pleasant surprise. My arguments against the majority opinion usually don't go this smoothly and it's making me uneasy.

It's like the calm before the storm. It's coming, I know it.

I live in Kansas where it's windy and tornados happen. The wind is always blowing at least a little bit. If it's blowing from the North it will be cold, if it's blowing from the South it will be hot, but it will be blowing one way or another. Sometimes without warning it'll suddenly get absolutely still, and within an hour aa tornado comes down from the heaves and wipes us off the face of the Earth. As a Kansan, that sudden lack of wind sets me on edge because I know its the warning. It's the calm before the storm.

That's what this thread is doing. The wind is still. The tornado is coming. I'm going into my storm shelter now. Y'all have fun.
          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

Not really Junkie

The affects are minimal & as I stated I live in the south where the affects of cold temperature don't effect us as much. The farther you are north the more I see the need.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• FSJunkie
              The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
              • Jan 09, 2011

Ha

At least you understand my humor.
              '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                I expected to see my last post broken up into quotes and ripped apart piece by piece by people who disagree with me and think I'm full of BS by now. This is a pleasant surprise. ...
                Oh, no question the function is about warming the intake manifold, and keeping the fuel from condensing. Well stated.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                X