X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

When flexing now, your pinion gets pointed towards your transfercase. When flexing with a shackle reversal, your pinion gets pointed towards the ground.

You will need to make sure that your drivelines can handle the extra angle.

You can rotate the leaf perches around the axle a little bit, but that is a lot of work for anyone who is already spring over. Plus, I wouldnt reccomend cheating it more than 2 degrees anyway otherwise it will wander like a yaht at higher speeds.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
      Hey watch this...
      • Nov 19, 2004

I guess I type too slow... Stuka beat me to it...

Comment

• Dmntxn77
        Hey watch this...
        • Nov 19, 2004

Anther point to cover is axle movement withing the wheelwell. Stock, the tire sits closer to the firewall than it does the bumper since it will move forward during flex. Once you switch the shackle, your axle will move the opposite direction. So, you will probably need to reposition your axle closer to the bumper so that when you flex, it does not get forced into the firewall.

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
          350 Buick
          • May 25, 2005

Good points! I have a 1410 yoke for the front but no driveshaft yoke I gotta find one, and I could turn mine up 2 degrees no problem plus I'm already highpinion so I think ill be safe. I've got the front axle pushed forward two inches as is it was eating into my turn signals which are gone now so I should be fine if not I can always make room. I'm def going to do the shackle reversal
          Last edited by 4x4fEvEr; 12-31-2008, 10:58 AM.
          77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• Dmntxn77
            Hey watch this...
            • Nov 19, 2004

Cool, go for it...

If I were you though, I would measure your pinion angle at full flex just be be sure. Remember, the HP D60 pinion location is only 2.25"s higher than the LP D60, so its not THAT big of a difference. It still doesnt point your pinion up.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

pictures for those who were curious

more pictures underneath here:
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

From the looks of it. It looks like they simply took the stock shackle off the front, bolted the spring to the stock hanger, and then stuck the shackle on the rear hanger.
                79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                  Hey watch this...
                  • Nov 19, 2004

Flint, do you have any side profile pics that show your at rest pinon angle?

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by Dmntxn77
                    Flint, do you have any side profile pics that show your at rest pinon angle?
                    not yet, but can get a couple this weekend
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• j20brett
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 05, 2006

Thanks for the pics flint!
                      Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

so they just put the shackle on the other end. they must have adjusted the SOA perches for the severe increase in caster..... or.... maybe that's why its so scary to drive.

Al
                        79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                        99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                        07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by AlsChopShop
                          so they just put the shackle on the other end. they must have adjusted the SOA perches for the severe increase in caster..... or.... maybe that's why its so scary to drive.

Al
                          Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. Weather or not they did this before or after the SOA, and weather or not they did anything to correct it. If this is in fact the way they did it. Because like you said, that could be why it is so squirly to drive.
                          79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                          Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                          93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• guishe
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 19, 2008

I dont know much about this little things. I just like to read.
                            And also like to draw, so I guess that if you want to reverse the shackle and keep the original caster and angle of the springs, you should add something like the red piece in the picture.
                            Axle will go about 1.5" forward, and you will add about 2" high at the same time.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                              Hey watch this...
                              • Nov 19, 2004

Nice work... BUT, you would want that shackle facing 30 or so degree back, not forward...

Comment

• guishe
                                232 I6
                                • Nov 19, 2008

AS I said... I dont know a lot ... but i'm in the same process you are... and I found a lot of articles in which the set up the shackle angle to the front... here is a couple... (in the second, look at the movement in the spring). They are not talking about fsj, but I think it should be the same.
                                In case you are right, changing the angle wont change the high, just the "forward movement" (it would be "backward") And excuse the posible grammatical mistakes my english is kinda primitive

http://jeep.off-road.com:80/jeep/dat...281/rarch2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X