International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Building a rear leaf spring pack.

I did a spring over om my wagoneer, and put a 4 inch block and a 2 inch block on top of that on the rear so that it would be level to the front . No lift blocks on the front just the rear. I know that wasn't very wise but I am on a budget and I built a traction bar for it. That is why I am coming here for help. Since I am on a budget I wanted to see if any one here had ever made there own leaf spring pack to gain a lift of about 6 inches, this would be for the rear to eliminate the lift blocks.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail mule
I did a spring over om my wagoneer, and put a 4 inch block and a 2 inch block on top of that on the rear so that it would be level to the front . No lift blocks on the front just the rear. I know that wasn't very wise but I am on a budget and I built a traction bar for it. That is why I am coming here for help. Since I am on a budget I wanted to see if any one here had ever made there own leaf spring pack to gain a lift of about 6 inches, this would be for the rear to eliminate the lift blocks.

Flip the rear spring housing (Shackle flip) so that your shackles hang down vs. inverted up into the housing. This will gain you 6-7" lift with stock springs. Do a search, there is a lot of people who have done this, and there is even a bolt-on kit made by Tad (TT's Fabworks). Blocks are bad enough, but you're an idiot if you stack them.
Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389
Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Master Mechanic

Shackle flip is the answer. Or if you wanna get realcheap but safer than stackin blocks, use the 4" block and put an add a leaf in the spring pack that would be safer than stacking blocks.

Remember if you can't afford a lift then you can't afford the tires to match the lift or afford the gears to match bigger tires. Or afford to replace parts when :o:o:o:o:o starts breaking from bigger tires. Never ending process
Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail mule

Shakle flip again is the only answer to your problem in my case still needed a 1" block to level it, but I went with a 2" which got it level when truck is loaded for a trip.
The cost is $0 for you since you already have a 2" block and the shackle flip is just about unbolting one side of the shakle and fliping it up and bolting it.
Making a spring that is 6" higher will make it so stiff it's not a spring anymore.