X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

Yeah, I can picture it working either way I guess.. It seems that with the shackle forward, you would be at risk of getting it pinned forward when recovering from a droop condition...

Dunno really... Ive never done one, but in my head, it seems that facing back would be the better option...

Comment

• guishe
      232 I6
      • Nov 19, 2008

I think that the arch in the springs counts... in the images I have with flat springs, the shacles is at 0°, or "negative" (as in the pictures from fulsizejeep, which are just as you mention).
      With lift springs (4" or more) I´ve seen as in my draw. But I dont know if they could go flat forward as you said. Perhaps a more conservative angle would work better. With so many opinions in this issue, seems difficult to find a definitive word about this question.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

better view of shackle and pinion angle

Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• j20brett
          360 AMC
          • Jul 05, 2006

Wow not much compression travel there eh? ever have probles with it bottoming out?
          Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Dmntxn77
            Hey watch this...
            • Nov 19, 2004

Yep Flint, that accounts for the scary handling... Your caster and camber are probably WAY off.

Comment

• j20brett
              360 AMC
              • Jul 05, 2006

Originally posted by Dmntxn77

Yep Flint, that accounts for the scary handling... Your caster and camber are probably WAY off.
              Nah looks to me like the c's were cut and rotated to correct that. i think its the lack of steering correction that make his handling bad. No DPA or highsteer to correct it.
              Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• C. Boyer
                232 I6
                • Jun 09, 2004

Originally posted by JeepsAndGuns
                From the looks of it. It looks like they simply took the stock shackle off the front, bolted the spring to the stock hanger, and then stuck the shackle on the rear hanger.
                That's what I did and the smoothness is insane. Remove the front driveshaft and have it fabricated so it doesnen't bottom out. I did that too. You have to measure the compression and droop, NOT JUST YOKE TO YOKE. The 78 has 12-14 inches of wheel travel so you may have to cut the rear of the front fender a little bit. It drives strait as an arrow, on and of road. Through whoops it's in an insane difference!

Whatever you're into
                360 .50 over,cam,Ed per manifold,heads.600 4 b carb,MSD Pro billit dist,OR 6,8.5's,DT headers, aluminum radiator,TH-400,P.T. kit,4130 mount, Currie 9 rear w/ HD pin, Nat springs, TLR shackles,shock mounts, dual 14 Bilsteins w/ heims, 25g AL cell,35 BFG.F&R 4130 bumpers with rear dump can rack that folds to a table.Mastercrafts.Had since 85

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                  350 Buick
                  • May 25, 2005

I'm getting a kit for a yj to put on mine hopefully be able to start it in two weeks. I read in petersens this month on a shackle flip to set the rear shackle at 60degrees with no weight on if course
                  77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Well, thanks to this exercise, I realized that drive shaft is too long. I did not notice until I resized the picture. We have not put this one through too much difficult terrain but had never heard or felt it bottom out. Something else to change when the QT & adapter get changed out this spring. We have some rocks here I can exercise it on and see how much travel there is to the rear. The drive shaft was new in 2003. The C were rotated but I don't know how much.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• guishe
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 19, 2008

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
                      I read in petersens this month on a shackle flip to set the rear shackle at 60degrees with no weight on if course
                      It seems that this answers the question of the 30 degrees forward/backwards? ... the shackle is set in the position I mention without weight, whit springs extended; and then with the weight as the springs get a bit compressed. the shackle goes backwards, as you said...

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by C. Boyer
                        That's what I did and the smoothness is insane. Remove the front driveshaft and have it fabricated so it doesnen't bottom out. I did that too. You have to measure the compression and droop, NOT JUST YOKE TO YOKE. The 78 has 12-14 inches of wheel travel so you may have to cut the rear of the front fender a little bit. It drives strait as an arrow, on and of road. Through whoops it's in an insane difference!

Whatever you're into
                        Pics?
                        There is no way to rule innocent men.
                        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                          Hey watch this...
                          • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                          Well, thanks to this exercise, I realized that drive shaft is too long. I did not notice until I resized the picture. We have not put this one through too much difficult terrain but had never heard or felt it bottom out. Something else to change when the QT & adapter get changed out this spring. We have some rocks here I can exercise it on and see how much travel there is to the rear. The drive shaft was new in 2003. The C were rotated but I don't know how much.

Yep, now that its pointed out, I see that your knuckles seem to have proper orientation.

I would guess that your pinon has been rotated up 10-15 degrees. If I could access photobucket at work, I would post a pic for you of mine that has been rotated up 12 degrees...

Eitherway, that leaves you with quite the desirable axle there!!

Comment

Originally posted by guishe
                            It seems that this answers the question of the 30 degrees forward/backwards? ... the shackle is set in the position I mention without weight, whit springs extended; and then with the weight as the springs get a bit compressed. the shackle goes backwards, as you said...
                            yes... that's what they are doing in the first article that was posted. with no weight the shackle is forward, but with weight it will move back.

look how the toyota guys do it... shackle backwards. if your shackle is forwards it puts a lot more force on the shackle and its mounting point as the spring extends in length. its working against itself.

Al
                            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                              350 Buick
                              • May 25, 2005

So in a fsj do you want them forward or backwards using springs with some arch?
                              77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• guishe
                                232 I6
                                • Nov 19, 2008

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
                                So in a fsj do you want them forward or backwards using springs with some arch?
                                Install them looking fordward while the rig is lifted (no weight).
                                They will go backwards when you drop the weight on the floor, but they should still have more "travel" backwards to let the springs extend when under compresion

Comment

Working...
                                X