International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 03-16-2020, 12:56 PM
350 Buick

Since it is out of your Chero, maybe you should drop a HEMI in there?

I know someone with one in his shop right now!
Betya that someone would sell it for a good price too??????
Old 03-21-2020, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltrockdweller
Since it is out of your Chero, maybe you should drop a HEMI in there?

I know someone with one in his shop right now!
Betya that someone would sell it for a good price too??????
HAHAHAHA! I know of this Hemi you speak, and the price is indeed GREAT! I told him if he would have had it about 6 weeks ago, I woulda bought it and stuffed it in! for sure!!!
Had an AWESOME day of wrenching!!! Took us about 2 hours to get the engine out.

First task was to straight edge the pulleys. Here is how it all looks all installed with a good belt on it. I hate this system... but it does look good.

Alt looks good, A/C looks good, Water pump looks good. These are all the accessories where I had to make my own spacers since they were missing from my second hand kit.

But when I checked my Power steering pump, I found this:

Which is odd because this one is a factory mount; No spacers.
Not sure how I am going to fix this. I may need to grind on the factory bracket. The pulley IS seated all the way on.

It was awesome having my son out there with me, again. He's REALLLLY into it now. Learning like mad. My other 3 older kids hated wrenching. I guess I did a good job teaching him about the proper footwear for working on a FSJ.

He pulled the front diff cover of and the oil was BLACK. Probably original. Here's the inside of the cover and you can see the sediment running down the cover.

This picture does not do the inside of the pumpkin justice. It was GROSSS!

He spent some time cleaning the cover off, removed old gasket material, used an entire can of brake cleaner scrubbing the inside out, and then he painted the cover gloss black. He also cleaned off the bolts, and gave them a shot of ghetto chrome. Those (cover and bolts) will go on (with pics) hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

I moved my Vehicle speed sensor up. I unplugged the AMC cruise control module, pushed the speedo cable down behind the brake booster and used the VSS to couple both Speedo cables together. This puts the VSS on the wheel well, next to the master cylinder. It's actually a pretty nice spot for it. When I get a chance to go to the wrecking yard, I will pull a GM Cruise control module and copy babywag's Cruise Contol set up.
See this link for what I am talking about
Tomorrow I will secure the speedo cables with padded straps to keep them from moving around.

Next we started putting conduit on the wires and hooking up the carbon cannister. I got the passenger side done and the oxygen sensor and knock sensor harness that goes down from my engine harness behind the bell housing.

Then I started inspecting for oil leaks. I don't leave spots where I park but the bottom of the engine and trans are usually slimy with oil in spots. I found the first leak; It runs from the bottom of the dipstick tube, down to the oil pan, and it would come out below the rear main. I ordered a new dip stick tube and it should get here Monday. You can also see where I put my Knock sensor. I hope that works correctly!

Next one I kinda expected. The rear of the intake manifold popped out and leaks a little. Not sure if I am up for pulling the intake off to fix this leak. it's pretty minor and an intake gasket set is pretty expensive. Maybe I'll just dig some of the gasket out and try to press some gasket maker in there. Someone talk me out of it.

Last one was up at the front, near the timing cover, where it meets the oil pan. Again, not sure what I am going to do about this one.

Spent about 30 mins verifying my QT vacuum lines are sealed. They are but when in E-Drive, it leaks down a little. It still goes into 4WD but it has a leak. I am sure that's from the shaft seal. I used red zip ties on the 4WD line and green zip ties on the lines for 2WD.

Son swapped the 160 degree T-Stat for a 195 degree one and he cleaned and painted a trans dipstick tube. The one that is on there is not correct and fairly loose. The bracket that is suppose to get pinched in between the trans to engine bolt was not on this one.

Saw this, too. I literally JUST threw one of these away, like 2 weeks ago!!!

More to follow. Tomorrow is mostly wiring and is going to be really boring. But when I am done I should have head lights on relays, trans cooler fan on a relay, off road lights on a relay, Trans temp gauge wired up, tach wired up, and some other little tasks. When those are done, I will conduit the drivers side and hope that all the wiring is solid.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Alt looks good, A/C looks good, Water pump looks good. These are all the accessories where I had to make my own spacers since they were missing from my second hand kit.

That alternator looks way off to me Marc. The straight edge is touching the pulley on the DS of the crank pulley but looks like it's lifted a tad on the PS of the crank pulley which tells me the alt is a tiny bit too far forward. However, the whole face of the alt pulley should be touching the straight edge. If only one side is touching like in your pic, the alternator might be set front to rear but it's twisted. You need to figure out how to fix that. Flat serpentine belts don't like bending sideways to accommodate misaligned pulleys. They aren't forgiving like V belts.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:55 AM
350 Buick

Also, think about this...if the edge of the serp belt is say...1/8" away from the straightedge at the crank, it should be 1/8" away on all of the pulleys as you move that straightedge around. Look at the distance at the crank pulley at lower right, look at the distance at the alt pulley where it's touching the straightedge, now look at the idler pulley in between the two. Maybe it's just the angle of the camera but you should double check that.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Also, think about this...if the edge of the serp belt is say...1/8" away from the straightedge at the crank, it should be 1/8" away on all of the pulleys as you move that straightedge around. Look at the distance at the crank pulley at lower right, look at the distance at the alt pulley where it's touching the straightedge, now look at the idler pulley in between the two. Maybe it's just the angle of the camera but you should double check that.
Yep! I measured for those first. Its the angle of the pic. I didn't really spend much time on the idlers since the belt surfaces are flat. I just ensured the belt was riding, generally, in the middle of each one... and they are. I kind of want to remove one of the idlers and put a tensioner on there instead... NO D@MM!+!! Stay focused! Stay focused!!!
I only had about 2 hours to wrench yesterday. All I got done was putting the trans cooler fan on a relay, dug through my pile-o-parts and found a brass T fitting so I can insert the temp switch for the fan inline with the trans cooler, and started wiring the lights on my bumper to a relay. I am not sure if I should put the trans temp switch on the inlet side of the cooler or the outlet... It also took me a while to tool up from wrenching to electrical'ing.

My son took the fan off the Rad and this is what was behind it.

There is about 3/4" clearance between the nose of the water pump and the fan when everything is installed and I *think* when it chucked the belt, the belt went between the fan and water pump and pushed the fan into the rad. I cannot see a hole anywhere, but it is leaking. Hopefully the only local radiator shop is open these days and can fix it.

Also waiting on data about my headers. Updates on these threads:
The AMC Forum
IFSJA Forum

Ran to Frabor Height for some more conduit last night and saw this sign on the door:

VERY AWESOME!!! I love this store already and reading this makes me appreciate them that much more. I went on a USCG Auxiliary Patrol with the founder one time about 15 years ago. He was a USCG Vet and super nice guy. HF is headquartered about a mile from my house and I pass it everyday on my way to work.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Mostly boring wiring.

As I mentioned above, one of the projects I am setting up for is GM cruise control. With the current shelter in place order, I cannot go get the cruise module from the wrecking yards so I am going to just terminate all the wires in the vicinity of where the module will be.
I took my 1979 TSM, pulled the Cruise Control diagram out, and the diagram babywag has on his thread and put some more details on them so I can be sure of how it will work on my rig. Here is the factory AMC wiring changes:

And here is the diagram from babywag with the AMC wires on it:

We looked over the power steering pump to see where we could get some clearance, too, to try and align that belt better. The first area we saw was the back of the bracket. Here is where it started. I have a spare one of these so if we screw it up, I can replace it.

After my son ground off the nubs, this is what it ended up like. This gained us about an eighth of an inch. I need another about 3/8s. I plan to pick up a pulley puller this week and will try getting some clearance on the back side of the pulley so the pulley can seat a bit deeper on the pump.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:46 PM
232 I6

That's an awesome way to make the best of this virus deal. So cool too that your son is able to be out there wrenching along with you.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 03-24-2020, 10:07 PM
350 Buick

Do you need/want a factory cruise set up from a 77 ? I am going to be removing it from mine soon... I am happy to pull all the parts for you. I think its all stand alone, right ?

It works intermittently ... sometimes.. mostly

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2001 XJ : Driver 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
That's an awesome way to make the best of this virus deal. So cool too that your son is able to be out there wrenching along with you.
Yeah, It's been great! I had a 1 month trip to Hawaii for work planned and was going to do all this after I got home. I figured this trip would be cancelled but, mountains have moved, approvals have happened; I fly to Hawaii on Sunday for a month. Now I have to slam all this back together in the next 6 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
Do you need/want a factory cruise set up from a 77 ? I am going to be removing it from mine soon... I am happy to pull all the parts for you. I think its all stand alone, right ?...
I appreciate the offer! I have all the original gear from my 79 but the reason I am going to the later model one is because it removes the failure prone bellows and I think the GM one will be a little smoother/more reliable. It is almost plug and play at this point with my TBI set up.
I spent 8 hours wrenching yesterday...errrr... wiring. I got my headlights on relays and then spent a few hours putting split loom on all the wires forward of the brake booster. You will notice each relay has it's own harness going from the main harness up to my relay center. That way if I have issues, I do not have have to keep splitting the main harness open. I have wires run for the temp switch for the trans fan and the Trans temp sender but did not put the sender and switch in yet. I ran out of the 1" split loom for along the firewall so that's why I stopped there. Oh, apparently coolant eats through the paint I used on my fender liner.

I also ran a new "always hot wire" into the interior that will power my power seat bases and a relay for my seat heaters (no, I do not have seat heaters yet). I replaced the dipstick tubeS (both oil and trans) because they leaked, cleaned and hopefully fixed the oil leak on the back of the intake manifold, and did some grinding on my header flanges (more pics on the header thread I mentioned above).

My son trimmed the headliner insulation for installation but I do not have any spray adhesive to hang it (yet). I also had him install the diff cover and finish the oil change. He now understands the wonders of the smell of gear oil.

I have a short shopping list to hit today but hope to get the headliner insulation up and the engine landed/bolted down tonight. My son is installing the passenger side power seat base.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Obligatory hanging engine picture

The payload has been deployed!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:44 AM
350 Buick

Glad to see you're getting the engine put back in but man, you gotta do something about that power steering pump and belt alignment. That's off a lot. I know, after Hawaii right?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 AM
232 I6

Holy smokes, you have to go after all? Wow!

Travel safe (will you have to do the 14-day Hawaii ordered quarantine before working?).

The new wiring and relays look good, holy smokes on how quick you can pull and replace the engine. Good luck!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Glad to see you're getting the engine put back in but man, you gotta do something about that power steering pump and belt alignment. That's off a lot. I know, after Hawaii right?
Yep. Exactly. Told the son not to drive it unless he has to. I hope it stays on while I am gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
Holy smokes, you have to go after all? Wow!

Travel safe (will you have to do the 14-day Hawaii ordered quarantine before working?).

The new wiring and relays look good, holy smokes on how quick you can pull and replace the engine. Good luck!
Yep. None of us are happy about it (going). But I am super grateful to have a job and I know the Coast Guard needs this done so I am willing to do it.

Pulling the engine was about 2 hours of work. Putting it back in was about 4 hours because we had to fight with the headers. It sure is nice not having hardware that is seized, caked in road grime, or missing. Having my transcooler stand alone is also nice as it limited the spilled red fluid.
I started the engine up tonight. No check engine light, even idle, normal oil pressure. I think I heard one of my header collectors leaking so I have to re-torque those down, tomorrow. Verified all my new wiring jobs worked. The offroad lights are SUPER bright. Stoked on them.
Wrapped up the cruise control harness:

I got all but a little of the main harness and a little of the engine hardness in conduit and it looks soooo much tidier.

While I was fighting with my passenger header, I looked down and saw this:

Can't see what I am talking about? It's this:

Otherwise known as this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
09-22-2019, Post #319...As I was removing the keepers, one fell. Of course it did. I looked for that for 45 minutes before the wife yelled at me to come in. ...
I have to install my cooling system yet and some other little tasks tomorrow. I should be able to test drive it tomorrow, too. I was not able to finish everything on my list but I got everything done that was in the engine compartment other than the conduit and cruise control module. Oh, and the power steering pulley.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 PM
304 AMC

Looking really nice!

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 04-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Darin!
Success! Yesterday I finished buttonin it up and backed it out of the garage.

Only went around the block but everything seems in order. I think I need a new radiator cap as it does not seem to pressurize. Tray of shame is because I have red drips. Not sure where it is coming from right now. Might be from when I pulled the dip stick out, might be from the kickdown connector, might be from the governor, might be my blood. I wonder if it is possible to have a running/driving FSJ that does not leak fluid...

Then spent a good 2 hours cleaning the garage up. scrubbed the floors and cleared some space for my midgets to work out while I am gone. The wife is happy to have her car back in the garage. It's gonna be a long month.

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 04-03-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:03 PM
350 Buick

Congrats Sir ! Have enjoyed watching for some time . . .

Rang : "I wonder if it is possible to have a running/driving FSJ that does not leak fluid... "

NOPE

Then spent a good 2 hours cleaning the garage up. scrubbed the floors and cleared some space for my midgets to work out while I am gone. The wife is happy to have her car back in the garage. It's gonna be a long month.
[/quote]

Whoa ! A clean garage space ! NICE !!

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2001 XJ : Driver 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 04-03-2020, 07:20 AM

I should have been on the road traveling 75% of the time but work keeps canx or moving travel back because of the restrictions. Bad thing is, all the work is getting more compressed into a shorter period of time.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:33 AM

we should go to his house whille hes gone. put the stock belts back on for him. chuck that POS serpentine setup into his neighbors yard. then drink all his beer,pee on the shrubs.

then switch all his cute little labeled relays all around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 04-03-2020, 09:02 AM
out of order

Old 04-03-2020, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
Congrats Sir ! Have enjoyed watching for some time . . .

Whoa ! A clean garage space ! NICE !!
Thank you, sir!

When the wife and I bought this house, the agreement was "2 cars will stay in our 2 car garage." We both kept them agreement until my son turned 14 and we realized he needed a place to work out. So I sacrificed my side of the garage for his weight bench. I tell him constantly, if he does not use it for a while, it's going on Craigslist and I am pulling my car back in. I hope he does not call my bluff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklaurence
I should have been on the road traveling 75% of the time but work keeps canx or moving travel back because of the restrictions. Bad thing is, all the work is getting more compressed into a shorter period of time.
I hear you! We are watching that happen, too! It's going to suck for a lOOOoooooong time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
we should go to his house whille hes gone. put the stock belts back on for him. chuck that POS serpentine setup into his neighbors yard. then drink all his beer,pee on the shrubs.

then switch all his cute little labeled relays all around....
BBBBWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!
How much beer do I have to leave in the fridge to make this happen?!!??! Except the relays part?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
+1