• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmv42158
    232 I6
    • Nov 03, 2014

Oil leak while running

My 1991 Wagoneer I just bought leaks oil out the rear main seal while running it not while sitting. Compression is 140-100 in random cylinders. Local machine shop says this motor is notarious for pushing oil out seal when compression is low. Anyone heard his before? $2300 to rebuild the motor which seems pretty good and may just do it for peace of mind but not something I was planning on while buying it. It
    1989 Grand Wagoneer.
    2015 F250 6.7L
    2004 BMW 545i 6 speed
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Granted a 40psi variation is not a good sign for overall eng health. Pretty much indicates a tired motor needing attention soon, but... hows it perform for your current needs? If it's running good enough for your needs/expectations but just the RMS is puking oil. Replace the RMS and see where you're at for leaks. AMC motors are famous for laking RMS. On the plus side it's an AMC 360 motor(NOT CHRYCO) with a two part RMS so no need to pull the trans etc. It won't help your tired comp readings but should stop the leak for now. Spend the $20 for the seal kit, get lotsa shop rags, hand cleaner etc and RTFM on replacing the seal before committing to a $2,000+ shop repair.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

"Notorious for pushing oil out the rear main seal if compression is low"? WTF? Can't say I've heard that before. If it has major blow-by, it should be pushing the blow-by through the oil breather/oil cap. and It would be putting (little) pressure on all seals, not just the rear main. Check or just replace the pcv too.

How many miles on it?
      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

Most leak out the rear main, even after being rebuilt. Rarely do they not leak at all. The question is how much leak is too much.

I generally don't like adding more than one quart of oil every 3000 miles.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• gophman
          232 I6
          • Mar 05, 2015

Mine is doing my tits in! 3 main seals and still drips every 3-5 seconds when hot idling, you can drive 300 miles in a day and I'll level stays on max, drive a week or two short journeys and it will need a top up... Next time I change I'll pull the motor just in case it's a lifter gallery plug etc.

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by ZackN920
            "Notorious for pushing oil out the rear main seal if compression is low"? WTF? Can't say I've heard that before. If it has major blow-by, it should be pushing the blow-by through the oil breather/oil cap. and It would be putting (little) pressure on all seals, not just the rear main. Check or just replace the pcv too.

How many miles on it?

X2, WTF... check the inside of your air cleaner enclosure for oil , a good indication of blow by.

check the crank for fore and aft motion a sign of damaged thrust bearing that can be fixed.... but the engine has to come out... so a rebuilt is not a bad idea...

all over compression can be many things, like dirty engine oil, bad compression can be increased with a quart of ATF in the engine oil... It turned my 60psi cylinder to 110psi.... but the 2 cam lobes were chewed up

$2300, installed is a good price, make sure that you have all the details done on the rebuilt, your core, or one of the known vendors... camshaft (and which one) and cam bearings, crank turned, valve guides.... come to mind... what type of warranty...

EDIT: who did the compression measurements? the machine shop that needs to make boats payment or yourself?
            Last edited by letank; 01-15-2019, 02:23 PM.
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by letank
              EDIT: who did the compression measurements? the machine shop that needs to make boats payment or yourself?
              Yeah...
              Also total BS on pushing oil out RMS due to low compression.

I'd do some good research on this shop before giving them your business.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJunkie
                The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                • Jan 09, 2011

Poor piston ring seal will push more blow-by into the crankcase, but the crankcase should not build pressure unless the filter gauze in the oil fill cap is clogged up.

Getting the rear main seal to seal completely on AMC engines is hard because you cannot offset the seal halves from the parting line of the main cap. The seal has tabs that prevent that. It is just about impossible to get a total 100% drip free seal without removing the crankshaft. The only way I've been able to get them 100% drip free is by applying Permatex #2 to the outside lips of the seal halves, to the faces of the seal halves where they meet each other, to the top and bottom of the rubber seal tabs, and along the edge of the main cap.

You have to watch the oil pan gasket. A leaking oil pan gasket looks a lot like a leaking rear main seal. The oil pan gasket is actually four pieces and they tend to leak where the pieces meet together unless sealant is used at those points. I use good old Permatex #2 where the gasket ends meet each other and paste the gaskets to the block with wheatherstrip adhesive so they don't shift around as the pan is installed.

Tricks I learned by working at the shop that builds more high performance AMC engines than anywhere else. Their engines do not leak...at all...from anywhere.
                Last edited by FSJunkie; 01-16-2019, 12:21 AM.
                '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Clogged PCV and the gauze on the other inlet hose being a blockage instead of a crankcase air filter causes pressure buildup that forces the seals so tight that they burn up or shrink away from the mating surfaces so oil can get past. The pressure seeks the weak link to escape.
                  Someone was putting a vacuum pump on the valve cover breather to draw the pressure down to stop the leaks, like a vacuum cleaner sucking the oil back in.
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Sometimes the rear of the intake manifold or valve cover gaskets will leak, dribble down the block and look a lot like a RMS leak, too.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

a real rms seal leak will pee/leak visibly while engine is idling.
                      vc or intake usually will take a bit to show and back of heads/block/tranny will be gooey.

best way is still UV dye to pinpoint true oil leakers.

degrease & pressure wash it, toss in some dye.
                      the glow will lead you home.
                      Tony

Comment

• ZackN920
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 18, 2015

Originally posted by babywag
                        a real rms seal leak will pee/leak visibly while engine is idling.
                        Holy BLEEEP!? Really?! That much?! Heck, I thought at worst they'd be an "occasional drip" type of leak.
                        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

I had the oil pressure sending unit on my Mexican 4.5L where it didn
                          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by ZackN920
                            Holy BLEEEP!? Really?! That much?! Heck, I thought at worst they'd be an "occasional drip" type of leak.
                            Yes and they'll be an oil slick coating the bottom of truck.
                            I've owned a lot of these things...
                            Only time it was really a rms they were wet with oil all over underneath from pan to rear bumper.

Of course they could leak less, but a bad one is very obvious.
                            Tony

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 04, 2006

Check your PCV system. Should have about 4 psi of vacuum.
                              Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
                              But it's free"
                              Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

Working...
                              X