International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Noob!

Want to buy engine

Hey folks. So many places carry engines. If yo had to buy new or remain where would you buy? Ooo ions on BJ's for engines. Thanks
Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Master Mechanic

Hi from Austria!

New are no longer available.

It depends what you want and what you want to pay for.

Best solution if you do not have enough mechanic background would be a "Turn Key Engine".

Would recommend http://www.amcmusclecars.com/ . He knows a lot of AMC`s. A turn key engine will bring you the benefit that the break in is done, the most importand thing for a long health life of your engine.
There are for sure a lot other builders or local shops in your area, the guys here at the forum do know for sure some more...

Markus

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink
Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjo
Hey folks. So many places carry engines. If yo had to buy new or remain where would you buy? Ooo ions on BJ's for engines. Thanks

Depends on the engine you want. Summit Racing, Quadratec, 4WD parts. I'll bet Woody's 4x4 has some factory type stuff. Davy's should also have some used ones. I'll have a Buick 350 for sale shortly. Like I said, it depends.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma
Hi from Austria!

New are no longer available.

It depends what you want and what you want to pay for.

Best solution if you do not have enough mechanic background would be a "Turn Key Engine".

Would recommend http://www.amcmusclecars.com/ . He knows a lot of AMC`s. A turn key engine will bring you the benefit that the break in is done, the most importand thing for a long health life of your engine.
There are for sure a lot other builders or local shops in your area, the guys here at the forum do know for sure some more...

Markus

That is funny.. I have built a engine for Dan before. It was a '67 343 for one of his own cars.

If interested, I have a 360 at the Machine shop that I will be building and putting up for sale - when I get time. It will be a 8.5:1 compression ratio with cast pistons build to order type of thing.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:20 AM

There are no new AMC crate engines period. Only rebuilt/remanufactured. Best route is do it yourself. Even if it's your first one,so long as you're anal about details and mesure/check everything twice or 3 times you'll "know" it was put together correctly and with quality parts Second best is to have it locally rebuilt. Don't matter who rebuilds it, there is always a chance a part used wasn't up to spec and failed. When that happens the builder is going to want to inspect the motor themselves (reasonable) before or even if the warranty is applicable. Meaning you'll be pulling the motor, crating and shipping it back to them which is all on you. If you're in TX and the motor needs to go back to MN it's going to take time and money (yours) before they even tell you yes they'll honor the warranty or no it was the installer/owners fault it broke. If things go south it's cheaper/easier to tow it or toss the motor into a pick up and haul it to Houston than shipping. No way buy a rebuilt from some China auto parts outfit like Autozone etc. Check with your local car clubs. They'll know a good builder. Then check out the shop with the BBB. You just need a good builder that pays attention to detail, not an AMC expert. It's just an old push rod V8 motor not some new age Jag or Benz.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 AM
FSJ Maniac

I have no experience in engine replacement... only in jeep ownership...

it seems that you have 3 choices

1) knowing what is wrong with the engine, sometimes it does not need a total rebuilt, of course a 30 year old engine is probably going to need some work, since the unofficial speed limit seems to creep to 80mph. But for the casual driver, and weekend mechanic, simple repair can yield longevity...

2) is it worth to do a total rebuilt, SC/397 has amazing documentations on this site

3) or swap to a more modern powerful EFI system.

for 2 or 3 the limit is how much money you are willing to dedicate, knowing that next is the trany, the TC the gears and finally the rust will chip at your final project...

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 04-18-2017, 03:30 PM
FSJ Maniac

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262938497810
80's J10 258/T-5/208
89' Jeep GrandWagoneer
New Project
74' J10 Go Grabber Green Running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
Inferior Chevy

Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 PM

My opinion is if you plan on keeping the rig do it right. anything less is like replacing one tire at a time as they blow out. it costs more and is inconvenient.

I do it myself, but if you're uneasy about it find someone like SC/397 who'll do it right for you. run away from engine exchange outfits screaming like your teeth are on fire.