• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarge's 7
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 11, 2003

AMC 20hd axle bearings (revival)

I'm sorry to revive this thread ( http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb....=025313#000000 ), but I'm currently haveing a big problem with this. The parts stores here claim that there never was a full size AMC 20. All thier computers show is the Dana 44. I can't find bearings / races for my 81 Cherokee Chief AMC 20. Does anyone have a actual bearing number, or, Stuka, can you expound on what you mean that I need rear bearings for an M23? I'm in dire need of help, and I really appreciate it.

Thanks

When I had to replace a shaft a year or so ago, NAPA pulled it right up. Don't have a # off the top of my head. Was not the tapered orig, but a squared off relacement. You need a new parts store or counter person. I can get the part # Monday morning if it would help.

[ October 31, 2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: goldhammer ]
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Sarge's 7
      230 Tornado
      • Apr 11, 2003

I would really appreciate it. O'Reilly had something like you are talking about, a kit, not bearing and race, and not tapered. I thought they were wrong because the OE is tapered. Why would anyone want to change from the tapered set? I would really appreciate it if you could get me a part number.

P.S. for some reason the Napa in our town closed down about a year ago.

Thanks.

[ October 31, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Sarge's 7 ]

Comment

I'll put it up here sometime tommorrow depending on work load. With the non-tapered unit all I did was pull the old tapered race and pop in the shaft/bearing. No probs yet.
        Art
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Comment

• Sarge's 7
          230 Tornado
          • Apr 11, 2003

Did you do it yourself or have someone press them on. I was thinking about just tapping them on with a piece of tubing but the parts store guy told me that I'd cause the bearing to fail. I don't think I would if I didn't act like a gorilla with a sledge.

After reading your sig, I figure you just pressed them on at work.

[ October 31, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Sarge's 7 ]

Comment

Just got off the phone with NAPA, their part # is BR-10, said it show from 74-83 and then fro 86-up as the same. He looked at one and it was tapered with race. I had out alignment shop press it on as we don't have a press here. If your s/n and location are what I think, one of the guys at the motor pool would do it for a six pack Hope this helps you out. They should be able to cross reference it.

[ November 01, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: goldhammer ]
            Art

Comment

• Sarge's 7
              230 Tornado
              • Apr 11, 2003

Thanks a lot. As for the motor pool, it's very sad right now (just the reservists have access to it). However, my Battalion just went M-TOE and will soon be receiving all our vehicles and mechanics and such. But, hopefully I'll have it done by then.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X