• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Phillips
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 11, 2014

Tcase shift pattern

I'm relatively new here (have been lurking in the background for a while). My question, if anyone wishes to respond is - I have a 1972 J-4000 3/4ton 360 two barrel, 3 speed that I am trying to update a little. My transfer case (Dana 20) has a U shaped shift pattern. Is this normal or is it something a previous owner might have swapped in? The shifter is very sloppy and feels like your trying to shift a bowl of Jello. I bought a couple of D20's (straight shift pattern) and they do not seem to want to bolt up correctly. Could the sloppy shifting be due to wear in the shifter mechanism?

I've added power steering, leather buckets, full vinyl/rubber floor mats, custom (alum. treadplate) console w/12v cooler/heater, new alum. treadplate low profile across bed tool box. Currently working on new headliner and possibly alum treadplate door and kick panels. Also have a custom front bumper w/ 12,000# winch (not completely wired in yet).

Thanks for any responses.
    72 J4000 360 2v 3 spd 4x4 12,000# winch
    1963 Int'l. Scout 4x4 (late model Jeep drivetrain) 4 cyl 5 spd fuel inj. PS disc brakes
    1999 BMW M Roadster (daily driver) 6 cyl 5 spd
    1996 GMC 4x4 short bed 305 2v 5 spd
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

yep, stock pattern.

2wd at top left, straight back for 4hi, over and slightly forward for N, then slightly forward more for 4lo. Works quite well.

And yes, they do feel a little sloppy going between 2wd and 4hi, but that's because of the long throw involved. Shifting to N and 4LO is actually quite tight and precise.

They should be greased periodically. There is a shift box under the floor shifter with a grease zerk on it.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Fred Phillips
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 11, 2014

Tcase shift pattern

Thanks, I was looking at Jeep shift patterns and found that shift pattern to be for a Jeepster w/ 3 speed auto. I had not seen that in a D20 before. Should it not have had the straight pattern originally?
      72 J4000 360 2v 3 spd 4x4 12,000# winch
      1963 Int'l. Scout 4x4 (late model Jeep drivetrain) 4 cyl 5 spd fuel inj. PS disc brakes
      1999 BMW M Roadster (daily driver) 6 cyl 5 spd
      1996 GMC 4x4 short bed 305 2v 5 spd

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

Nope. U-pattern factory.

To shift 2wd to 4hi: Pull lever back towards 4hi and give the throttle a slight blip. Should drop right in. To shift back, let off the throttle and push the lever forward back to 2wd.

To shift to N or 4lo from 4hi: Shift transmission to neutral and slow vehicle to 2-3 MPH. Slide the shifter to the right then forward to N or continue through N to 4lo. Put transmission back in gear. Same procedure to shift back. No shifting in or out of N or 4lo without crawling at a walking pace with the transmission in neutral.

Easiest shifting t-case in the world.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• mdill
          Gone. Not Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2000

X2

Originally posted by FSJunkie
          Nope. U-pattern factory.

To shift 2wd to 4hi: Pull lever back towards 4hi and give the throttle a slight blip. Should drop right in. To shift back, let off the throttle and push the lever forward back to 2wd.

To shift to N or 4lo from 4hi: Shift transmission to neutral and slow vehicle to 2-3 MPH. Slide the shifter to the right then forward to N or continue through N to 4lo. Put transmission back in gear. Same procedure to shift back. No shifting in or out of N or 4lo without crawling at a walking pace with the transmission in neutral.

Easiest shifting t-case in the world.
          -----------------------------------------
          Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
          1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
          1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
          1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
          1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
          And the other stuff that gets driven
          ----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X