• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gtgphd
    232 I6
    • Oct 17, 2004

ammeter question

1980 cherokee. I removed the dash gauge assembly to fix the lenses that had come loose. While in there, I examined the ammeter connections. They were clean and tight. Am I good to go?
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Don't know if you pulled the connectors or just glanced at them but it wouldn't hurt to take them off and clean them anyway since you're in there and put some dielectric(sp?) grease over the connections. Otherwise yeah you're good to go.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• OldGrayGhost
      327 Rambler
      • Aug 22, 2003

Your good to go if for some reason you want a 26 year old Ammeter living in your dash. My connections looked perfect, it mattered not when the meter itself burned up inside and all my wires melted and smoke started billowing out of the defrost vents while riding down the road. As many threads as I read about bypassing them I never did it. Take one off, set it on the other post, use nut you took off to secure it. It is so much easier to do that than rewire everthing that burns up when it goes. It is ugly in a way that makes your heart sink when that ammeter quits.

You can run a voltmeter from switched 12v anywhere really and get just as accurate an impression of your charging system and it's functionality.
      1976 Cherokee NT 232 cid,HEI, 2brl, MSD6A, SM465/NP205, SOA/Shackle Flip, 35x12.50 Mud Chain Saws, Dana 44's w/ 3.54.

1976 J10 258, 1brl, T-15, Dana20, Dana 44's w/4.09's, 32x11.50 BFGrizzle All Tizzles. Optima Battery

1997 Dodge 1500 Sport Cab Laramie SLT, 360, 4WD, 3.54 Posi, RS9000's, Optima Battery and MSD 8.5 wires. Borla Cat back system.

Comment

• jeepbob
        Jeep Idiot
        • Jan 16, 2001

Get rid of the ammeter and wire in a volt meter or risk electrical meltdown or even worse major dash fire. You guys with the plastic coated & insturmented dashed really take bizarre risks. All steel dashes rule. Gotta love Brook Stevens' art-deco design too.

[ January 01, 2006, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: jeepbob ]
        65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• osceola
          350 Buick
          • Feb 12, 2004

never liked the idea of 60 or more amps running thru my dash board, personally .i know its only the battery charging circuit but still i dont like it. especially when the insulation starts to get old and brittle like after 20 plus years.if you havent had a problem with it dont worry you will.
          henry

Comment

• AMSting
            258 I6
            • Jul 06, 2005

I used the write up (I think by tedz) to replace my ammeter with a Sun voltmeter last weekend. Everything looked good when I took the instrument cluster out, but the rubber piece at one of the ammeter connections had melted itself to the back of the panel.

I now have both wires on one side of the voltmeter and can read the volts all the time. I also have a little more peace of mind, even though before this I didn't think I had a problem.
            Chris

Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk.

1980 Cherokee Chief W/T, "Big Dog" 360-2v, 727, NP-219, 3.31, PW, PDL, AC, white w/ blue Western int.

Comment

Working...
            X