International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 AM
232 I6

Anyone else feel inadequate?

All jokes aside on the title. I bought two FSJ last month and have started working on 1. Got it running, fixed a few small issues, cleaning it up and hope to be able to drive it around here in the next few weeks when I get some more things fixed on it.

But then I look at the build threads. Some of you guys are awesome fabricators, have such attention to detail and obviously have more time and money than I can put into my projects. Life, wife, 5 kids, and 3 hours of commuting = little time and play money.

I've always prided myself on doing things right when fixing something. Don't reuse a water pump when you're doing a rebuild. Don't skimp on cheap parts that you'll replace later. Don't splice a wire and add a fuse when it clearly needs a relay. But I'm a hack when compared to the metal work and drive train swaps I see here. I still plan to work on my projects and hope to enjoy the time with my dad in the shop. But I think I'll keep my "build" thread to myself to keep from being embarrassed.

You guys keep up the good work, gives me something to drool over.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:52 AM
350 Buick

"being too hard on yourself" applies here,.....

man, dont think that way
FSJ folks like to see any project
at any level of skill or end goal

a rig, a beater, a mint show vehicle,.....it is all good

the things that keep you from over indulging on the FSJ
are things that I admire....

you are being a family man first.

and like Kevin Costner said in "a perfect world" movie.....

"being a good family man is about the best thing a man can hope to be"

go ahead and post that project
(I am too dumb to post photos of my build)

take care and good luck on the project
( and the long commute )

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-05-2019, 08:11 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillyMcGee
All jokes aside on the title. I bought two FSJ last month and have started working on 1. Got it running, fixed a few small issues, cleaning it up and hope to be able to drive it around here in the next few weeks when I get some more things fixed on it.

But then I look at the build threads. Some of you guys are awesome fabricators, have such attention to detail and obviously have more time and money than I can put into my projects. Life, wife, 5 kids, and 3 hours of commuting = little time and play money.

I've always prided myself on doing things right when fixing something. Don't reuse a water pump when you're doing a rebuild. Don't skimp on cheap parts that you'll replace later. Don't splice a wire and add a fuse when it clearly needs a relay. But I'm a hack when compared to the metal work and drive train swaps I see here. I still plan to work on my projects and hope to enjoy the time with my dad in the shop. But I think I'll keep my "build" thread to myself to keep from being embarrassed.

You guys keep up the good work, gives me something to drool over.

Here's the thing- if you keep your build to yourself, it keeps all the build threads looking like the ones that keep you drooling! Post it up! Let's see another dose of reality! Yeah, I get a bit jealous of some of these rigs too, but I know this isn't the only thing I have to do in my spare time. I was hoping I'd have my truck running before summer ended..... but I really have my doubts at this point. But it can wait. It's survived for 54 years, what's one more?

I completely get it though- I've got 4 kids and a house and the whole bit too, and the time to work on this old truck is thin. There's kids school and sports ramping back up, hunting this fall, and a kitchen to build for my wife this winter. My wife knows it can be a therapeutic break from the nonsense I have to deal with at work, so she cuts me some on the time I spend on it, but she's not afraid to tell me she needs my help inside either.

There were a couple of reasons I started a build thread. One was to keep track of my own progress, one was to be able to document it for the guy I bought the truck from, and another one was to add another realistic build thread into the mix. I'll get my truck done eventually, and so will you. And if I don't or you don't, then so what?! It's just an old truck, and if it doesn't happen, I'm sure it'll be for a darn good reason, and those reasons are out there.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:07 AM
350 Buick

I agree that you just have to focus on what it means to you and what you are able to do. I've seen lots of the build/restore type threads here (and on other auto/jeep/van/etc. forums) and some of them are just mind blowing and indeed can invoke plenty of jealousy. Not all of us in those positions or situations....even if we'd secretly love to be.

It's less the case now, but say 15-20 years ago, there was more discussion about FSJs being daily drivers or just a specialty ride (and 40 years ago, it was only about daily drivers as they were still in ripe production). Due to a lot of factors the number of FSJs as daily drivers continues to dwindle and good, healthy examples of the breed that can just be used as a daily/useful vehicle are getting harder and harder to find. Which in turns makes the focus more on the builds and restorations/etc. Those of us who have been more run of the mill daily driver FSJers are not really increasing in numbers....likely the opposite.

I tend to look at things more from a practical angle. Yeh, those shiny all spiffed up and decked out projects are drool-worthy. But there is something that just tickles my heart when I see an old pickup around that's just being used as it would have been in its prime...as a utility vehicle. not all shined up and restored, but original, probably faded, paint, and clearly not a perfect specimen, but being driven and used and cared for. My ol' J10 has seen its share of snow and salt, so rust is its bane right now, but I'm stlll keeping it going....even if it's far from anything ideal.

What I find funny....even with an old rusty truck....how many people compliment me on the old Jeep. Have even had some of the Wranglee folks take note and wave deliberately more lately. Don't get the same *hey, cool* when I'm driving the mini-van. Even though it's in a lot nicer shape.

Perfection and ideals are great....but many of us have to be realistic and practical. We may not have $20k to sink into something and we may have to nickel and dime projects and repairs, but we can keep plugging away and fixing things that need it, and touching up areas we'd like to. You have to look at the progress from your own angle and perspective. Getting a non-running, or poorly running, Jeep and getting it going reliably is a huge accomplishment and worth loads of personal satisfaction in itself. If no one else gives you a pat on the back, give yourself the pat you deserve. Keep your eyes looking out the windshield....not in the mirrors (rearview or side)....and you can keep moving forward in what matters to you!
Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...
Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
Yeah, I get a bit jealous of some of these rigs too, but I know this isn't the only thing I have to do in my spare time.

A very good point here.

I'm from the other side of the fence. Others have called me a things like genius and gifted for my ability in the shop. The reality is the only thing special about me is my relentless patients and the ridiculous amount of time I have spent learning to do what I do. I have made sacrifices that most would be unwilling to make to complete my projects. It would soon become apparent to anyone who visits me that this fellow has some serious loose ends both domestic and personal that probably should be attended to.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:04 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece
The reality is the only thing special about me is my relentless patients and the ridiculous amount of time I have spent learning to do what I do. I have made sacrifices that most would be unwilling to make to complete my projects.

That's the truth! I know I'm not willing to skip elk hunting this fall to get my truck done..... it'll be there later. And I promised my wife the kitchen would get done this winter, so the truck will take a back seat again. We all have to make sacrifices, but we seldom see the sacrifices others have made to get to where they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece
It would soon become apparent to anyone who visits me that this fellow has some serious loose ends both domestic and personal that probably should be attended to.

Now that's funny! I think you'd probably come by my shop and think I've got ADD. The reality is, I really enjoy about 6-8 really different hobbies (if that's what you want to call this), and I shuffle between them all. You'd probably tell me I need to buckle down and focus on one or two, but I'd never be able to pick which ones!
Old 09-05-2019, 08:08 PM
350 Buick

KillyMcgee Come on show us the money shots. Family first,you second. A little at a time next thing you know your done. To make you feel better I have to work 3 hours a day or else. Out of 7 days I work 3. The mind says keep going but the body pukes an fades out. I have a coming to God day back in 97,so I cant work like I use to. Lost the left arm an a few other bits back in 97. So I try to teach, then do now. Dont lose face,we will give you pointers so you dont remake other mistakes.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:07 AM
304 AMC

Ok, I did a build thread. I had ZERO experience on anything FSJ, fabricating, welding, wiring or anything. I waited until all I had was a 3 hour commute and the wife at home. So my time was more my own when I did get to work on the Jeep. It was therapeutic to say the least. I needed the stress release.

Now as for posting, I did that so others on this site could help me. I NEEDED the help. There was a lot of help. I learned from the other threads and I got help on my thread when I was stumped.

So do the build thread. Documenting what you are doing is good for you, and if you need help or just an idea, there are people here who will help.

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 AM
230 Tornado

Killy its all perspective , my son when younger realized my brother was a much better hunter than myself and asked why that is and if it bothered me,
absolutely not, i admire him for it, like he admires my car abilities, although i am not the fab guy some of the guys on here are, i admire their work

I love the fact we all have something our commonality is the love for the Jeep ..

Show it off !!!

I also get to partake of my brothers hunted meats so I actually help him hunt by assisting in the set up of the land. I just cant sit still enough long enough
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM
350 Buick

Inadequate? Hardly. Distracted? Definitely. I have too many other interests to indulge
to ever become a perfectionist at any of them. Not into trailer queens, just want my rides
to work well and reflect functionality over form. Not a fan of chrome or $$$ paint jobs,
never ever need to see another red Camaro, or red anything, rat rodding makes
more sense to me. Dive in, make the jeep your way, enjoy it, and leave perfectionism
to those with time and money to burn.

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
68 Impala wagon 327/400
73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 PM
232 I6

One of my favorite build threads is by a member called Achilles. He's doing what he can when he can by the looks of his thread. I'm inspired by his ingenuity and dogged persistence. Reading through the comments, he also has the respect of those people who's beautiful mint Wagoneers/Cherokees/JTrucks we all drool over.

I had an epiphany about how much I like this site a few months ago. One of the hood bumpers in my wagon was broken and the unobtanium plastic grommet that it screws into was missing. I didn't know what to do and it dawned on me to search the forums. I found a thread from 2012 (the dude replaced them with cage bolt nuts) and I had my answer. It was pretty much the only thing the guy had posted and it sat there waiting for me for seven years to find.

You never know what you post is going to mean to someone further down the line who's in the same place you were in or how you might help them.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 PM
232 I6

I am both humbled and inspired by the depth of knowledge and skill of folks on here and how everyone tries to share that knowledge and skill with others to help solve problems and answer questions. Although I'll not likely be able to pull a front clip/top end of an engine apart in a morning like some of the folks on here do...I am thankful that if I ever start on something like that, I'll be able to ask for tips/tricks/pointers/help on here and get the answers.

I love the build threads because I earn something from each one of them...a new way to solve a problem, a place to find pieces that will help get it fixed, a method for adding or removing something, or general admiration from a job well done. Each one is awesome in its own right and helps to add value. When I finally get around to documenting the few little things I have done, I think I'll just refer to it as a "tinkering around" thread.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 09-12-2019, 05:48 PM
360 AMC

I say post it! I am a hack too and there is nooooo way I could have gotten anything done without my build thread. It is not so much a “look at me” or “this is how you do it” but it sure is nice to get advice from folks that have done what you are going to do and get ideas. It also is really nice wen you are way into your project and losing motivation because you have spent so much time, effort, and money but it seems like you will never get it done, it is nice to look back on and see how far you have come.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring