• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwwhaler
    258 I6
    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Achilles
    I think you have to stripe the tailgate or it will not look right. You guys are doing a awesome job on this.
    x2... Better than original, and the stripes on tailgate would complete it.
    87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
    Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• CJ5
      350 Buick
      • May 07, 2002

Thanks, Guys.

Thanks for the opinions on the tailgate. I originally thought that if I run stripes across, starting from where the side stripes end, that the tailgate stripes would just be hanging out there in the middle. After seeing it in the pic, I think that is ok and will look just fine.

Brad, I got the cover from these guys http://www.wheelskins.com/

They gauges are new so I am not sure what fixed them. I do not think they were all bad, though they could have been if I crossed the wrong circuit earlier.

I tried to hit the old holes. I bought a long drill bit and came up through the floor to mark where the holes should be. After I was finished, it appears I hit 90% of them. I had Jared on the inside and once I punch through, he hit the hole with the tip of a soldiering iron. This prevented any carpet grab by the screws. I did not run into any issues with the drill bit catching.

The gave me a price of $850 but that did not include the door panels so I am guessing around 1k.
      Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
      '72CJ - Complete Restore
      '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
      '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• ProTouring442
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by CJ5
        The next thing was to finished the cargo panels. The two panels just behind the B pillar did not come with the carpet kit. We bought extra carpet and searched around for some matching Naugahyde. Using masonite, we cut our patterns, traced the carpet and got to work.

I checked with a couple of my wife's friends who I knew did some sewing, but none of them had a commercial machine. I decide to try my luck with our machine. I had to make a few trips to Hancock fabric and the ladies there where very helpful. A broken needle and few other mishaps and we got the job done. It turned out good as stock.

I have to say, this was a staged pic. It reminded me of my grandparents. My grandma would sew everything, while hitting her snuff, while my grandpa would be in the basement "doing beer". I just was not doing the snuff part.

Now that the panels where done we needed to put the carpet in. This was not easy job. It was a good kit, but things were a little difficult. The area where the wheel well carpet and middle section meet together at the bottom corner was difficult to fit. I am not sure how it is suppose to fit together but I ended up doing one side one way and the one side the other. I still don't know which is best. One thing I did find very helpful is the use of an old soldiering iron to make the bolt holes. It melted through the backing easily and melted the carpet around the holes so the bolts didn't hang up. It was easy to do and I think is a great tip.

We worked from left to right placing holes and panels. Once complete we moved to the other side. It is important to make sure the carpet lays well and is stretched good before the next hole. Take your time from hole to hole.

The rear retractable seat belts that I bought did not work. I attached the old style. I don't think I have a good set of nutmeg female pieces so I may go with non-retractable. The B pillar 3 points work well.

I did not use the metal clips that were stock. I used plastic clips all around. I found the metal clips rattle with the stereo and the plastic are easier to use. Once the panels where in place, the arm rest and speaker grills were attached. Oh..we attached the ashtrays prior to setting the panels.

I need to redo the rear driver panel. I has the wire clips, it didn't fit and I need that space easily accessed for the jack and misc. tools. I am searching for some plastic clips or twist clips or something I can use that will allow the panel to be removed and replaced. Not sure yet what I can find or is out there.

This about completes the rear interior. I have to clean up the rear metal slats and attached then I can install the tailgate and the rear will be done. I will wait on the front carpet section until I have all of the front wiring and parts installed.

We are making good progress now. He she sits so far, in case you forgot what she looked like.

Where did you get the carpet kit?
        You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• CJ5
          350 Buick
          • May 07, 2002

The carpet kit came from BJ's Off Road. Std kit with mass backing.
          '72CJ - Complete Restore
          '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• 8man
            304 AMC
            • Jan 04, 2011

That is just great work!
            79 Cherokee S (current project)
            82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• cma
              350 Buick
              • Jan 26, 2012

Had off! Great Job done!!!!!!!!
              I love the details.....
              Markus!

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• CJ5
                350 Buick
                • May 07, 2002

We are knocking things out, I am down to one parts box.

We got the seat frames cleaned and painted. The sliders cleaned and greased and working good. It appears I have a turnbuckle missing so I will have to improvise to make the slider work properly.

We also got the rear seat pan painted and ready to go. We are now waiting on the upholstery shop. I should have managed my timeline a little better, but oh well, we have things to do still.

We finished up the engine bay. All of the wiring is done and tested. Hoses are ran and completed. Fluids checked and topped off. I am still debating putting dual snorkels on the air cleaner. I have everything I need. I have to bleed the rear brakes and I still have an issue with getting the distributor to set all the way in. I should have dusted it before I posted pics.

We also added the rear stripes. I agree, it looks good and it ties everything together. Originally, we were going to add the Laredo badge and the Indian Head behind the rear window. It looked like too much, so we added one of the Laredo badges to the tailgate. We thought it looked good and gives it a modern look since all of the newer Jeeps have the model badge on the tailgate now.

So, right now, we are waiting on upholstery and glass. I had to have side glass made to my specs because something was amiss with the fitting of the old glass. Long story, but I am not sure exactly what the problem was. We have the hood to sand and repaint too. Other than that, just some tidying things up and sent it to the motor shop to finish. It will not be long now.
                '72CJ - Complete Restore
                '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• CJ5
                  350 Buick
                  • May 07, 2002

The project really seems like it is coming to completion now. We received the seats. We are still waiting on the glass and door panels. Those items will pretty much complete the interior.

For reference, the old interior.

Now the new.

We also decided to go with a Tuffy console. After much debate we decided it just was not worth the effort to try and design something. In part because we could not find the inserts we liked. It also gave him an area he could lock up valuables. The new Tuffy box was 3" taller than the stock arm rest so we decided to cut it down.

After that, we painted and installed. It fit perfect in the old armrest mount and basically just required drilling the mounting holes. We also finished up all of the final nutmeg painting.

We added a dual USB charging port for the rear passengers and a dual USB charging port where a radio would fit. We ran the Iphone cable into the console and it exits out a grommet where a radio would mount also. This will allow his phone to be connected and then laid down with easy access. We will add a light and one of those no slip pads onto the flip top. You can see where I got a little happy with the plasma cutter and nicked a hole in it. Oh, a dual cup holder will also be added to back of it for the rear passengers too.

My wife finished painting the center caps. Yes, I am missing a wheel stud. We will take care of that.

I am guessing it will be about two weeks and we will send to the motor shop but they this project has gone, I don't like deadlines.
                  '72CJ - Complete Restore
                  '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• KyooMac
                    258 I6
                    • Oct 26, 2006

That is one beautiful looking Jeep!

Comment

• suzq044
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 23, 2008

looks awesome. I would've tried to keep the OEM look for the exterior, personally. But what you've done gives it that little hint of custom. Are you doing anything for the hood or just leaving it white?

Originally posted by CJ5
                      We also added the rear stripes. I agree, it looks good and it ties everything together. Originally, we were going to add the Laredo badge and the Indian Head behind the rear window. It looked like too much, so we added one of the Laredo badges to the tailgate. We thought it looked good and gives it a modern look since all of the newer Jeeps have the model badge on the tailgate now.

You should use the other one for the interior "Laredo" badge on the glove-box.
                      Last edited by suzq044; 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM.
                      Max²: 1964 Jeep Panel Wagoneer
                      Planning Stages

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

No doubt

Excellent

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• CJ5
                          350 Buick
                          • May 07, 2002

Originally posted by suzq044
                          looks awesome. I would've tried to keep the OEM look for the exterior, personally. But what you've done gives it that little hint of custom. Are you doing anything for the hood or just leaving it white?

You should use the other one for the interior "Laredo" badge on the glove-box.

Thanks. The glovebox had a Laredo badge on it and I was able to reuse it.

Our goal was to keep it stock looking as possible. The exterior color is of course not stock but it is still white. I could not find nor get the stock stickers reproduced. I was hoping we could though. I attempted to use pin stripping to dupicate the stock look but it just could not make the bends required. The hood will just be white, no stripes.
                          '72CJ - Complete Restore
                          '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• 8man
                            304 AMC
                            • Jan 04, 2011

Excellent! The beauty of doing the re-build is to make it yours. Completely stock doesn't seem to make a Jeep a collectors item and I sure like the custom touches on yours. Great work.
                            79 Cherokee S (current project)
                            82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• JP
                              Where horseshoes are not a game
                              • Dec 12, 2012

I think the tail gate stripes are just enough to do the job.. No more no less!

everything looks great!

JP
                              THIS RESTORATION WILL BE THE MOST DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE THING I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED TO ACCOMPLISH HONEY, I SWEAR!!!

83 Cherokee
                              resto thread:
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=162358

Comment

• polarfire
                                258 I6
                                • Apr 01, 2010

Looking fantastic!
                                '78 Cherokee S Levi's 4-Door (SOLD)
                                '84 J10 Shortbed
                                '83 Cherokee Chief WT (SOLD)
                                '82 J10 Sportside Honcho
                                '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
                                '77 CJ-5 Renegade