• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
    kaiserman

Alexa is not the only one listening,...( in my opinion.)

I think smart phones can enable someone to listen when you dont know it
    (who's listening, I dont know.....)

also, new cars, dont think they are not capable of monitoring private conversations too,.....

(another reason to drive old stuff)

I agree completely. I have a flip phone, will NEVER own an Alexa and my newest ride is a 93 Buick. But I've been thinking of replacing it with a 74 Ambassador I found....
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

An Ambassador would be so darn cool. You should do it.

So I would be willing to bet most readers here have not heard of "Switch hook bypass". Your home phone has been a high powered listening device for several decades now. My mom used to date a phone tech guy and he kept insisting the phone was not a safe instrument. I was just a kid then but I remember all that well. And I had read about it a decade or so ago. Now there is black talon, the echelon system (outdated) and a couple other programs designed to collect info through key words. Recently we had a couple people in the next town over prosecuted after their cell phone use was opened and investigated. They incriminated themselves on their phones talking to each other.

Years ago threads like this would have a significant handful of people pulling some foil out to make hats for everyone posting. Based on paranoia. Paranoia is fear, worry, actions based on something that is not happening. ( my own personal definition) All the stuff mentioned IS happening. There is a difference between paranoia and awareness. As each year passes, more and more is being revealed to be true. I believe the people who went on years ago about this stuff had insight. Most of them anyway. A lot of them got medicated and labeled. The key is to be aware and not let it rule you. Keep private conversations held where you know it is private if that is what you wish. And keeping things like alexa out of the home is a way to live life somewhat free of someone in your back pocket.
      Despite all this very interesting conversation.
      Craigslist and ebay AND photobucket still suck....
      Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 10-03-2019, 10:22 PM.
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra
      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Wow! I was just complaining about one of my favorite pastimes going away (surfing and selling on CL)! I didn't expect this much conversation!

I am, often times, amazed at the crap people put out on the web. Not even just the facegrams or instabooks, but just out there. I think those social media websites have a lot of good to them. I watch my bride connect to old friends, distant family, etc. but I also watch all the drama around it and risks associated with them and I decided not to. I get why others do, but I'll pass. I'll keep my ifsja account instead.

Recently there was an app that came out and you could take a picture of yourself (or someone else) and it would artificially age you. Not sure why anyone would want to do this but that's not really the issue. When people would download this Russian developed app, they gave it permission to dig alllllll over their phone.
        Commentary: Our inability to draw lines when it comes to our personal data is a real problem, with real ramifications. This won't age well.

I was also part of the OPM data breech a couple years ago so alllll my info is now out there. I get hacked often, even in stupid ways. About 3 months ago, someone got into my Holiday Inn rewards account, stole all my points, had them turned into a $100 Amazon gift card, and had it shipped to the UK. I caught it in time for it to be stopped but I have to be VERY watchful over my accounts because this stuff happens.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

I've found that most apps require you to give the company access to most things on your phone, that's why mine doesn't have any that it didn't come with. A good example is the game Plants Vs Zombies. When it came out it was something like $3 and I got one for my ipod touch. It's actually a fun game. When Plants Vs Zombies 2 came out it was free which is the first questionable thing but when I went to download it it informed me that it required a device with a front facing camera I looked further into it and not only does it require that they have access to take pictures and video of you but they also get access to ALL you pictures and ALL your contacts and pretty much anything else on your phone. So I never got it. I continued to play PVZ until my pile of bodies reached Mars but then my cat knocked my Itouch into a glass of water and killed it. I now have a kindle fire that is just a toy, it has zero info on it and the only thing I load any apps to.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• Towtruck
            350 Buick
            • Oct 11, 2001

I check on Bring a Trailer once in a while. In fact I bid on a couple of vehicles. But I withdrew my membership when they started blocking and removing posts that were not flattering to a vehicle being sold by one of their favorite flipper customers. If you point out flaws on that site, they send you a "be nice" note. "Be nice", "Be constructive" means don't say bad stuff about the cars they're selling. It impacts BAT's 5% cut paid by buyers. Further, that site is a hornet's nest of Shills. Sad, because they started off OK. And then the dealers and flippers moved in.... By the way I had to threaten them with a government investigation to get them to delete my file...specifically my credit card info. You can't simply push a button and remove yourself from their system. Still fun to look at the cars, but I think they're a bunch of crooks.
            J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Hahaha! I rolled my eyes about 5 times reading this!!

Fits right into this conversation.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• lycanthrope
                258 I6
                • Mar 26, 2007

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                . But I've been thinking of replacing it with a 74 Ambassador I found....

More info, please!
                tommy
                '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
                '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
                '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
                '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
                '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• Kottobe
                  230 Tornado
                  • Oct 04, 2019

Well for sure it became slower in some ways. But this summer when I was selling old furniture from my greece property. I had some luck and sold everything pretty fast for a good price. I guess it depends on a product mostly.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Kottobe
                    Well for sure it became slower in some ways. But this summer when I was selling old furniture from my greece property. I had some luck and sold everything pretty fast for a good price. I guess it depends on a product mostly.
                    Very true!
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ArdenFab
                      230 Tornado
                      • Oct 04, 2019

I had no issues selling on CL lately or ever. Maybe it's still pretty popular in my area or something.

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

It's slower due to much more competition/different venues now available to sell these days.

It's also ty due to massive spamming from business owners and other crap have to wade through due to folks plastering ads with laundry lists of keywords.
                        Cross posting from other areas, etc. etc.
                        Oh and the idiots who post/advertise in the wrong sections.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

YES. THAT. I use a fake name these days on Craigslist. Usually the first reply to any post is "I am really interested in your [exact cut/paste of my ad title]. I will send you a 6 digit google verification code so I can ensure you are real."

I actually really appreciate those. I play along with them except I intentionally give them the wrong code several times (at least until they stop contacting me) then I start spamming them with non-sense auto texts (hit one letter, then only use words that your phone auto selects until you have a sentence that kind of, but not really, makes sense).
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                            Cherokee Outlaw
                            • Jan 10, 2006

What's a craig list?
                            -Jonny B.
                            1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                            7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                            AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                            NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                            F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                            R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                            1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                            1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                            1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• lkmarsh
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 21, 2008

I have much better success finding what I need on eBay and OfferUp.

Scored a pristine 50 year old Japanese electric guitar last week and
                              a like new case for one of my other 50 year old guitars on OfferUp.

Old guy with flip phone and no need for I-anything. Still spend time
                              searching CL but rarely find anything. 3G cell phone tech works fine
                              for me so of course Verizon has to kill it. Their 4G flip phones are a joke
                              so I'm looking for a carrier that doesn't require a data plan.

Still getting by with DSL. I surf from home. Will not Facebook ever.
                              My praise band mates think I'm a dinosaur, and they might be right.
                              Modern tech is the new crack: Just Say No.
                              Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
                              69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
                              68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
                              68 Impala wagon 327/400
                              73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
                              04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                              73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• mattmopar440
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • May 17, 2007

I have great luck with Offerup and Facebook marketplace
                                87' Grand Wagoneer
                                401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                                84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                                80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                                74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                                Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                                Inferior Chevy

Comment

Working...
                                X