• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bosox Al
    258 I6
    • Apr 20, 2001

rear driver side window quit suddenly

my rear driver side window quit suddenly, and i have never had problems with it before. I checked the switch by swapping it to the other side and it worked fine, so then i checked all the wire's coming into the door and there were no breaks. Then after shutting it one day my son hit the switch and it went down. So when i went to put it back up it would go up but not down i did it slowly to see how far it would go and it would only go up. Now still nothing up or down. anybody deal with this before??
    Al Lucier <br />90 Grandwagoneer<br />360 stock rebiult,TFI,2\"lift blocks for the rear sagg.
  • 2Stock
    232 I6
    • Aug 09, 2001

The front passenger window on my '84 is doing the same thing now. The window will go down if I hold the switch down and bang on the panel with my fist so I figure it is a mechanical, not electrical problem. Yours sounds like it may be electrical or poor connection but try banging on it first. Lithium grease is good for lubricating the track.
    1980 Cherokee WT 258/T176/208/3:31 TRAC-LOK<br />-------------------------------<br />I would rather pay for gas and material<br />than for principal and interest.

Comment

• Bosox Al
      258 I6
      • Apr 20, 2001

ok i took all the mounting bolts that hold the piece that holds the window motor to see if i could wiggle the yellow and green wires conected to the motor for a bad connection.well when i pushed the switch it went up on the slack that was there from the bolts being missing. nomadder what it didn't go downat all butt instead used all the slack up that was there, does that make sense???? Well it will go up but not down sop how do i get it to go down. is the motor bad? do ihave to take that all out? and if i do how do i do that if i cant get the window down???? Any body have this prob before???
      Al Lucier <br />90 Grandwagoneer<br />360 stock rebiult,TFI,2\"lift blocks for the rear sagg.

Comment

• ARJeepman
        258 I6
        • Dec 04, 2000

Sounds like a bad motor.Just tape your window up to hold it in place and then remove the 2 bolts that hold window to regulator. Remove regulator bolts and remove through large opening at bottom of door. Fairly easy job.....you just need a figure 8 screwdriver for the bolts. Good luck!
        86 GW<BR>360/727

Comment

• wagdriver
          350 Buick
          • Oct 14, 2000

These switchs are not very good, and they are definetly not water proof. There is likely corrosion on the switch contacts.
          You can try my old trick and use some pressure inward on the switch as you actuate it.
          If that does not work then disassembly and cleaning the switch is about the only option, short of replacing it with a new one.
          You will have remove the switch from the door to do that. There are a couple of small metal tabs the hold the switch in place, if I remember correctly they also hold the switch together, remove them and use a pocket knife to pry the switch apart. Once it is open you will see what has to be done. Use a small stainless steel wire brush and some contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Reassemble and you should be back in business.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: wagdriver ]
          wagdriver<br />88 Grand Wagoneer<br />145k and still going <br />K&N everything else stock <br />95 Dodge Ram 2500 360 stone stock

Comment

• Bosox Al
            258 I6
            • Apr 20, 2001

I checked the switch and also moved it to another door an it worked fine plus i tried one of the door switches from the other door that had no problems. I think this might be a motor problem but not sure.

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
              GRUMPY
              • Apr 10, 2001

IT'S POSSIBLE THAT THE MOTOR WILL ONLY WORK ONEWAY...HOT WIRE ...TO SEE IF IT GOES EACH WAY... ......ME!!!

Comment

• Bosox Al
                258 I6
                • Apr 20, 2001

i find now that if i slam it shut enough times i can get it to go down but then it eventually it will only go back up, until i go back to slamming it again.

Comment

• Millerluck
                  360 AMC
                  • Sep 08, 2000

My drivers rear window is a little finike too. My daugter found a sweet spot to hit it to get it to work. Kinda like the Fonz. She smacks it in the top right corner of the glass from the inside.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Later

Larry Miller
                  88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
                  4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
                  4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
                  http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

• Bosox Al
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 20, 2001

AAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Thanks miller luck

Comment

• 64Trvlr
                      Traveler
                      • Nov 28, 2000

When you hot wired it did you also ground it? You might have a bad ground, but my guess is the motor.
                      41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• tuckers89GW
                        304 AMC
                        • Oct 17, 2000

I'd say most likely, bad motor.

Comment

• ChrisCollege
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 15, 2001

Just had the window motor gremlin on my 88. The motor does not have a seperate ground (Just two wires). You put positive to one side and negative to the other it moves in one direction. If you reverse your wires it goes in the other. If you take a part the door you can access to wires for the motor directly and see if it is the wiring to the motor or the motor itself.
                          Chris<BR>88 GW <BR>Stock except for:<BR>TFI with a MSD6<P>93 YJ<BR>2.5 suspension lift and 33\" BFG MTs<BR>RS9000 in cab remote<BR>Ramsey REP8000<BR>Custom storage and bumbers plumbed for air<BR>Lot-o-lights and Optima<BR>K&N

Comment

• Blue Woody
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 27, 2000

Here's a new suggestion. When I got my 89 GW last year the right rear window wouldn't work up or down. Took the door handle, armrest, and panel off and then it worked fine. Put it all back together and nothing! Took it apart again and it worked. Finally figured out that it was the screws that hold the arm rest to the door. The PO must have replaced one of the screws because it was longer (and not torx head if I remember right) than the other one. If I tightened it all the way it must have caught on the window somehow. Got a shorter screw and problem solved.
                            Blue Woody<BR>89 GW - stock daily driver for now

Comment

• Bosox Al
                              258 I6
                              • Apr 20, 2001

first i appreciate all the ideas but, i don't know the first thing about hot wiring, and on the screw thing, already did that last september with the door handle.I unfortunately think now that it's the motor or a bad ground but... how do i check the ground????????

Comment

Working...
                              X