• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beach_Dude
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 03, 2011

Mechanical Fuel Pump, direction?

I have a 1977 360 and going back to mechanical... I know I'm gonna get best, but it's not for reliability.

Being a 1977, not one TSM shows the direction for the fuel pump, and I know somewhere around here was a transition between the years.

Does it point up or down?

If it points up, it seems AWFULLY close to the steering pump brackets. Is that normal?

Does anyone have images of their pump and how close it it to their support brackets for the other pumps?
    1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    360 w/ MC 4350
    All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
    Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Been many moons since I messed with a mechanical pump but aren't the mounting holes offset toward the top so if you put it in upside down the mounting surfaces won't match up.

Don't ferget a dab-o-grease on the arm.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

The pump only installs one way, arm under the eccentric.
      Top usually has fuel outlet, bottom has fuel inlet.
      If it's too close to PS maybe a longer belt is needed?

Be prepared the mechanical pumps are cheapnese now and some are total crap.
      Longevity is also an issue...last mech. pump I bought only lasted ~1yr and heard similar from other folks.

I may be totally wrong on pump fitting locations...been sooo many years since laid eyes on one.
      Electric would be my first choice these days.
      Last edited by babywag; 08-24-2019, 01:48 PM.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• DBX11
        258 I6
        • May 18, 2009

If I am not mistaken there are two types for our 360s.
        Type A is where the diaphragm is over the inlet/outlet
        Type B is where the diaphragm is under the inlet/outlet
        I ran into a problem when trying to install power steering in a non power steering equipped j10.

Comment

• 78basicwag
          232 I6
          • Oct 02, 2014

Mine is a 1978 Wagoneer and the inlet and outlet are pointing up.

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

i don't think you can put them on upside down. the arm is offset,and so are the bolt holes. later ones pointed up starting in early mid seventies. i think my '74 pointed down.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• SC/397
              Administrator
              • Feb 01, 2010

This is the upside-down style like 78basicwag shows. And the Scummit picture shows it up-side down for even more confusion. Finding a good fuel pump has been a mixed bag for me. I have had good luck with this particular one but have sent others back because they pump out too much pressure causing flooding.

Free Shipping - Carter Mechanical Fuel Pumps with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Pumps at Summit Racing.
              The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

you could always add a regulator?

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

Yep, I had to put a regulator on the engine that went to England.

Comment

• WT77
                    230 Tornado
                    • Aug 18, 2019

Originally posted by SC/397
                    This is the upside-down style like 78basicwag shows. And the Scummit picture shows it up-side down for even more confusion. Finding a good fuel pump has been a mixed bag for me. I have had good luck with this particular one but have sent others back because they pump out too much pressure causing flooding.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6736
                    How could too much pressure cause flooding if you have a return fuel line? Seems that any excess pressure would be released through the return line and not be applied to the float needle valve. I'm just thinking here.

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

the return line is an orificed line. the pump sets the pressure,and puts out more volume than the return line can handle. the return line is merely to keep fuel moving and purge vapors back to the tank. it is in no way meant to regulate pressure at all.
                      Originally posted by Hankrod
                      Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• SC/397
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by WT77
                        How could too much pressure cause flooding if you have a return fuel line? Seems that any excess pressure would be released through the return line and not be applied to the float needle valve. I'm just thinking here.
                        Anything more than 5 or 6 psi on a Holley.

Didn't have a return line.

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by SC/397

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6736
                          Recently bought a Spectra Premium pump for my J20 to replace an Airtex that was only 3 yo and failed. So far so good. Clearly marked on the pump body "Made in USA" FWIW.
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                          X