• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 61Hawk
    258 I6
    • Jul 18, 2009

Tailgate Window - Front Switch Not Working

Okay, I've read everything I can find on fixing a non-functioning dash switch on my '89 Grand Wagoneer on the forum and in the Tech Library but still can't get it to work.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) The key switch was broken so I repaired it using the repair shown on Ipendia - Grand Wagoneer Rear Window Switch. The key switch now works perfectly.

2) I've pulled the dash switch and checked for power at the plug. I can get power to the purple/red wire socket. The there are four other sockets (brown and tan and two black ground wires). When I check the brown and tan wires while pushing the switch up or down I get power. I've even clipped the test light ground clip to both black ground prongs in the plug (pulled the switch part way out of the socket to do so) and everything works as it's supposed to. So I have good grounds at the switch.

So I have power at the dash switch and at the tailgate... but the window still does not respond to the dash switch.

Everything else at the tailgate works... wiper and defrost. I've completely gutted and cleaned out the tailgate. The dash switch worked about 10% of the time before gutting it... but I think that had to do more with the broken tailgate switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Lee
  • RonnieJ
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 11, 2009

I made the same repair to mine and the front switch now doesn't work I think it's a product of the type of switch ie the replacement is a normally open at both poles and the OE is NO/NC I haven't got all worked out yet but I can live with a 100% rear switch at the expense of a 0% frt switch

Comment

• jbentley
      232 I6
      • Feb 28, 2008

I have a post that depicts how the rear switch is wired. One key element is that when the switch is at rest, the two feeds from the front switch (brown and tan) are connected to the rear window motor via the rear window switch.

The replacement switch depicted on site http://ipendia.com/ArticleRead.aspx?ID=2138, is an On-Off-On style. Meaning that when in the middle position (resting) nothing is connected to the window motor, hence your issue.

I emailed Carlington with my switch requirements and they provided me with part number 6GER5M-73, which can be ordered in single quantity from http://www.onlinecomponents.com/carl...tml?p=16992966 for about $15 and 5 weeks of patience. I'm assuming that these switches are built upon order, as even Carlington's website states 4 week wait time when you look it up via part number search. I even emailed them a drawing of how I need the switch posts to be connected, and they confirmed that the part number specified here will do the trick. I just got this info today, so I have not had an opportunity to get my hands physically on this switch and try it out.
      '82 limited edition Jeep Wagoneer
      "The Stock Beast"

Comment

Working...
      X