• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

What do ya think?

So, I'm just kind of snowballing on an idea here. I like to be different in a lot of things I do and I, like a lot of people, get tired of seeing SBC and LS swaps in Jeeps (Not knocking anyone here as I am a big believer in LS engines). Now, I'm all for AMC power. In fact, I'm kind of an AMC freak and one of those people that normally cringe when someone takes out their "junk AMC garbage" engine just because they don't understand it. Now, with that said, as I've been using my '79 Cherokee for daily driver duty off and on for the better part of almost 8 years now I will tell you that it takes a special kind of person to take 36 year old iron and use it as a reliable source of transportation on a day to day basis lol. SO, enough rambling here. My idea is to take a late model Chrysler era Grand Wagoneer, rip out it's outdated (even for then) AMC drivetrain, and swap in a complete fuel injected/overdriven/AWD (5.9 Magnum/46RE/NV244) drivetrain from a late model first gen Dodge Durango R/T and make it look somewhat factory-ish. This will be a project that I most likely will never get to so this thread is just mostly for the sake of conversation. Go!
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed
  • MadMax78
    258 I6
    • May 26, 2010

Do it!

I say go for it. Don't just talk about it. I would love to see you do this build.
    MadMax78
    78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
      Cherokee Outlaw
      • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by MadMax78
      I say go for it. Don't just talk about it. I would love to see you do this build.
      I would love to but time, money, space, and my deployment schedule prohibit and further project. I have the Cherokee, my Dodge needs a new Cummins, my boat needs a new floor, and the house has a never ending list. Maybe when I finish the engine on my Dodge and the floor in the boat (or I just sell the thing) I'll be able to take on another FSJ.
      -Jonny B.
      AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

Comment

• DarkMonohue
        Shakes hands with danger
        • Jul 01, 2012

Sounds like a fine idea. I really liked the 5.2/46RH combo in our old ZJ.
        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• DieselSJ
          304 AMC
          • May 19, 2003

Having driven 5.9 ZJ's (and actually built one of the first ones for a Jeep promo thing at Pikes Peak in 1993) and driving around this 4.7 equipped WJ, I gotta say I like the 4.7 a lot better. It makes better HP and the same torque as the 5.9 Magnum. I think the 4.7HO drivetrain out of a 2002-2005 WJ would be a cool swap.

Then again, there is the new V6 diesel from the Ram 1500 trucks. Now THAT would be a cool swap into a SJ.
          -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
          -99 XJ Limited.
          -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
          -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

The 4.7L in the WJ gets nearly 20 mpg, essentially the same as the 4.0L.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• DarkMonohue
              Shakes hands with danger
              • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by tgreese
              At the risk of being pedantic, it might be more accurate to say that the 4.7 can get nearly 20 MPG in the WJ. Same engine in an SJ would obviously be different (worse) owing to the laughable aerodynamics of the older vehicle.
              '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
              High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• vajeepj20
                230 Tornado
                • Apr 25, 2015

For the sake of the conversation, if you're going to dream, dream big. Check out this bad boy. Complete package! $4K for an essentially brand new 2015 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi engine, 8 speed transmission, and transfer case. Only 1000 miles! This is an unbelievable deal. Anyone even thinking about such a swap, if they have the bucks, should jump on this deal. It's a job to find a decent engine and transmission take out combo, especially an LS engine and trans, let alone with a transfer case, for that price. I've been thinking of a L76/6L80 swap, but this, wow, if only my finances were a little better I wouldn't have bothered posting this, it would be mine. That thing would be beautiful sitting in the engine bay.

Last edited by vajeepj20; 11-18-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                  304 AMC
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by tgreese
                  My XJ gets a consistent 18 with the 4.0. Doesn't matter if it is combined city/highway commute or straight highway. The WJ gets 21 in the same commute and I pulled 23 on the highway on a trip to CA at 75-80 sustained speeds.

At the risk of being pedantic, it might be more accurate to say that the 4.7 can get nearly 20 MPG in the WJ. Same engine in an SJ would obviously be different (worse) owing to the laughable aerodynamics of the older vehicle.
                  There is no "can get nearly 20" - it does get better than 20. I think it could easily pull 17-18 in a SJ.
                  -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                  -99 XJ Limited.
                  -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises

Comment

• DieselSJ
                    304 AMC
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by vajeepj20
                    For the sake of the conversation, if you're going to dream, dream big. Check out this bad boy. Complete package! $4K for an essentially brand new 2015 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi engine, 8 speed transmission, and transfer case. Only 1000 miles! This is an unbelievable deal. Anyone even thinking about such a swap, if they have the bucks, should jump on this deal. It's a job to find a decent engine and transmission take out combo, especially an LS engine and trans, let alone with a transfer case, for that price. I've been thinking of a L76/6L80 swap, but this, wow, if only my finances were a little better I wouldn't have bothered posting this, it would be mine. That thing would be beautiful sitting in the engine bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hemi-Durango...BVy5Qa&vxp=mtr
                    There is a CJ/TJ/XJ/SJ somewhere that needs this.
                    -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• PrairieJeeper
                      230 Tornado
                      • Aug 31, 2015

Mine needs it, but I am in Canada. I also don't think the motor mount adapters for this swap are in production yet. Unless all dodge small blocks are as simple as the SBC.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                        Cherokee Outlaw
                        • Jan 10, 2006

Hemi is out of the question. Too new and expensive for me. I never liked the 4.7, always had horrible cooling system issues with the ones I've encountered as an auto mechanic.
                        -Jonny B.
                        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

Comment

• DieselSJ
                          304 AMC
                          • May 19, 2003

Though I am not a fan of the Magnum, I think you are on the right track. Think outside the box (that is how I ended up with the diesel).
                          -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

just find that popular mechanics GW they built and buy it.
                            Originally posted by Hankrod
                            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                            I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                              Cherokee Outlaw
                              • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by Ristow
                              just find that popular mechanics GW they built and buy it.
                              Meh, too modern and hate the interior.
                              -Jonny B.
                              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X