• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted_Z
    232 I6
    • Sep 16, 2005

$15 Ammeter/Voltmeter Retrofit write-up

As discussed in other threads, the stock ammeter in the factory gage cluster can be a fire hazard. As such it?s recommended that you bypass it (move both wires connected to the ammeter to the same terminal).

Not having any information about your electrical system can leave you wanting. As such I'm presenting this voltmeter retrofit alternative that most shade-tree mechanics can do.

To start you'll need to remove your gage cluster from your dash. You also need to pick up a Sunpro Voltmeter (CP7985). This specific model voltmeter was chosen because the gage swings the same way as the stock ammeter. (Available at Autozone for ~$15).

Remove the 5 small machine screws from the back of the gage cluster (2 on top, 3 on bottom). You should now be able to remove the gage cluster from the housing assembly.

Remove the two small hex head machine screws (3/16") from the face of the oil/ammeter gage. Then remove the 2 nuts and lock washers from the back of the ammeter gage. Take out the ammeter and set it aside.

The voltmeter will need to be extracted from its original housing in order for it to be installed into the Jeep gage cluster. Carefully pry the trim ring off using a small screwdriver and/or pliers. Remove the two nuts and the paper washer from the back of the gage. Try not to loose any of the parts, as they'll be needed later!

With the voltmeter removed from its case, you'll quickly see how similar it is to the original ammeter in size and shape.

Wouldn't it be great if the voltmeter just dropped right into the original holes? Alas, no luck. While the hole spacing is about right, the new gage sits too high.

-Ted Z
    '76 Cherokee S
  • Ted_Z
    232 I6
    • Sep 16, 2005

In order to get the new voltmeter in just the right spot, you will have to make new holes for the voltmeter's posts. This step is the most challenging portion of the retrofit. Take your time and remove a little bit of material at a time. Use the second picture below as a guide.

Remove the 2 nuts holding the oil gage. The oil gage, blue light cover and the support bracket will be free from the circuit board and the other gages. Set the oil gage and light cover aside.

2 of the tiny tabs on the bracket will need to be flattened. I used a round file to elongate the original holes, followed by a 5/16" and an 11/32" drill bit to provide a rounded cut. The bottom of the slot it just over 7/8" from the bottom flat edge of the steel bracket. The voltmeter's posts are also slightly closer together than the ammeters and the new holes are positioned as such. You want to remove enough material to that the plastic shoulder/spacer sits in the bracket like it did in the original voltmeter housing.

The holes in the circuit board will also need to be elongated. Use the bracket as a guide. The traces are just far enough away as not to be cut. These holes are not as critical as the ones in the steel bracket. Only the posts, not the plastic shoulder needs to fit through.

As you're cutting the slots, periodically check your progress by reassembling the oil and voltmeter gages into the cluster. Pay attention to the clearance between the two gages. The new gage will be in the perfect spot when the top of the voltmeter gage clears the housing of the oil gage by 1/16". Use the paper washer, brass nuts and washers to secure the voltmeter. The paper washer does a great job of covering up the elongated holes.

Here's the voltmeter in its new place with the gage cover in place. Don?t forget to put the blue dash light cover in place before installing the oil and voltmeter gages for the last time (like I did).

And here is the final result. I cut the "volts" text from the voltmeter bezel and epoxied it over the "AMP" lettering. I also took the time to customize the two indicator lights. Since I have a Dana 20 in my Cherokee "Emergency drive" didn't seem to fit so I replaced it with "4X4". The unused spot got "Batt" to be used with the alternator. The old paint on the red lens was removed with a q-tip and some acetone. The new letters came from a label maker.

[ November 23, 2005, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Ted_Z ]
    -Ted Z
    '76 Cherokee S

Comment

• jeepzilla47
      350 Buick
      • Jun 14, 2003

daym....that looks really good!!! wish i had thought of that before i added some new gauges...
      Mike Hildreth...aka Tubby
      "From nothing we have risen, and from nothing, we still rise!!" (Hatebreed)

84 GW in progress
      fuel injected 454/th400/203/205/hpd60/ff14b 4.88/welded/4wdb/dbl/39.5 iroks/gm springs/rb shackle flip/ hydraulic assist

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

U BEECH
        u beat me to it..i bought the exact gauge to retro the dash in my 75 4 days ago, that I already discoed the ammeter from...oh i hate you
        Ken's:
        1966 Super Wagoneer
        5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
        (Soon to be TBI)
        "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

ok now...tell us how you wired it.
          Ken's:
          1966 Super Wagoneer
          5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
          (Soon to be TBI)
          "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• Firegoose
            258 I6
            • May 19, 2005

Excellent post, and good info.
            Jason

74 J-20
            under construction
            400TH
            dana 20
            dana 44hd/60
            35x12.5x17 MTRadialClaws 17x10
            TFI Upgrade

Comment

• Ted_Z
              232 I6
              • Sep 16, 2005

The two original wires that went to the ammeter go to the + of the voltmeter.

The - of the voltmeter goes to any ground.

Also install a wire from the output post of the alternator to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This reroutes the high current from the alternator directly to the battery.
              -Ted Z
              '76 Cherokee S

Comment

• xtapa
                232 I6
                • May 28, 2001

You're just trying to make me feel bad that I couldn't figure that out myself and had to pay someone else to do it for me! What you've done looks very good. Great write-up
                78 Cherokee NT, T18a, D-20

Comment

• steven79
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 25, 2001

good looking work, one big ? do you think that is poossible to do with oil gauge? you know mechanical one. it would be nice to have both in the dash were i could see them.
                  Thor - 79 wag ltd <br />366,th400,Q trac d44 f/r 3.54<br />31x10.50x15 Good year at's
                  I am not a dad,I am a domestic dictator

Comment

• Ted_Z
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 16, 2005

Not sure what you're asking. You want to put a machinical oil gage in place of the stock electrical oil gage?
                    -Ted Z
                    '76 Cherokee S

Comment

• steven79
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 25, 2001

yes, a mech inplace of the stock one in the dash like the volt meter you are doing
                      Thor - 79 wag ltd <br />366,th400,Q trac d44 f/r 3.54<br />31x10.50x15 Good year at's

Comment

Wow! Now that is slick. Good Job!
                        Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                        Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• steven79
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2001

Also on your wireing of the volt meter, if you do it the way you say won't it read even with the key off? as it will come from the battery?

Comment

• Ted_Z
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 16, 2005

Yes, the gage will read with the key off. The amount of current that the gage draws is about the same as the memory back up in your radio or the clock. Its a non issue. Plus if you didn't wire it this way you'd have to find a place to put the old ammeter wires is such a way that they wouldn't be at risk of shorting.

I have no idea if a mechanical gage will fit. Please post your findings if you try it.
                            -Ted Z
                            '76 Cherokee S

Comment

• Tahnka
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 16, 2003

I am impresssed. Thank you for this excellent write up.
                              Christopher
                              My DD: '84 Gwag
                              Georgia Full Size Jeep Club
                              Effectively Search IFSJA

--Wheel Stock

Comment

Working...
                              X