• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Puvong
    258 I6
    • Jun 05, 2000

Gas Mileage?

Hello Folks,
    I am wondering if you can clear this thought for me, since I did not have a real world experience on the FSJ:
    1. Do you agree that lower gear ratio will give you a better gas mileage?.
    ..That means if I use taller tires that will be the same to lower gear ratio?. The reason I ask because FSJ-360 seems to produce adequate low end torque and does not require that much powers at cruising speed " this mean to drop 300-500 RPM at cruising speed on the taller tires with the same rear-end ratio will save gas?". Example changing tire size from 235/75-15 to 32/11.5-15.
    Thanks in advance for any opinion.
    - 80-Cherokee Laredo<br />- 360/2V/44D/AMC20/208/727<br />- MSD/Magnaflow/K&N/1-1/2\"R-block/32\"BF-AT/RS9000
  • Veepster
    350 Buick
    • May 14, 2000

depends on your driving habits...

yes it will save gas on the freeway, but if you do a lot of stop and go traffic it will decrease your gas mileage.....

Peace..................BartG
    Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

• fishermike
      232 I6
      • Jun 18, 2000

Veepster's right. Additionally, you've got more rolling resistance from the larger footprint, and quite a bit of extra weight.

The good news, though, is that if you're starting with the factory tow package (you have a GW, don't you?), you can go to those tires without re-gearing and still have a higher effective ratio than the stock truck - check out www.4lo.com for a very handy gear/tire size calculator.

---Mike
      -Mike<br />\'85 GW <br />360/727/229/44/20/3.31<br />Flowmaster<br />\'98 Grand Cherokee<br />Loaded<br />\'86 Samurai<br />no top, no doors...

Comment

Working...
      X