X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rande
    Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
    • Jun 26, 2000

Its actually just an AM receiver. At least according to the website I linked to.
    N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
    1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
    1966 Mustang
    1937 IH D2

Comment

• bigun
      • Feb 10, 2003

hmm ok I was reading some guy complaning that his doesn't work any more it washis 8th grade science fair project LOL
      charlie
      KB0HXA
      "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
      congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
      How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
      Robert A. Heinlein
      The birth of CROM is recorded here
      http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• 2Stock
        232 I6
        • Aug 09, 2001

Rande:

Thanks for heads-up on the Kenwood 830. My Elmer has a 820S with the problem you described. I looked on Ebay for the KDK FM 240 and found other KDK's: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...5&BasicSearch=

Looks like a very inexpensive way to start.
        1980 Cherokee WT 258/T176/208/3:31 TRAC-LOK<br />-------------------------------<br />I would rather pay for gas and material<br />than for principal and interest.

Comment

• klank
          304 AMC
          • Sep 02, 2003

I'll just keep studying, take test, than convince wife to let me get equipment. My dork dad had equipment he was gonna give me but he thought I didn't want to get into it so he gave it away. That's why I'm doing this all by myself. If you want it done you gotta do it yourself.

Comment

• Rande
            Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
            • Jun 26, 2000

2stock, I do suggest you start out with some older radios. The new, menu driven radios are great but difficult to get used to with the complicated control systems.

Those old KDK radios like the 2033 or whatever, are good radios but kinda big. Like a full size CB rig. There are some good Alinco 2 meter radios that are good buys. Alinco really came on the scene about 15 years ago or so. They were a bargain at the time and the radios have stood the test of time. They were simple, cost effective radios. A good place to start on 2 meters. Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu are the big three.

Get on some of those Ham radios sites, join in the forums and ask questions. A lot of those sites have practice tests you can take. These practice tests use the FCC's question pool so they are very good. An easy way to know when you are ready.

[ December 05, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Rande ]
            N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1966 Mustang
            1937 IH D2

Comment

• Will work for Wag
              258 I6
              • Sep 04, 2003

I learned to use all the buttons on the remote mike for my Ic 2720h the same way I learned to type. I memorized the buttons and practiced using touch to find the buttons. Of course, I practiced in the driveway until I had it down; have to keep the eyes on the road. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 05, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Will work for Wag ]
              Scott Morrison<br />W6OSD<br />87 GW Daily Driver<br />New foglights up front, Magnaflow muffler out back, a Ham radio in the middle and loose nut behind the wheel.<br />Avatar is a Honda-eye view of a FSJ<br />Upcoming Mods: 4\" lift, 32\' tires, and with luck ARB lockers front and rear<br />Hi, I\'m Scott, and I have a FSJ addiction.

Comment

• bigun
                • Feb 10, 2003

Matt I went the other way I got into it then got my dad invovled LOL
                charlie
                KB0HXA
                "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                Robert A. Heinlein
                The birth of CROM is recorded here
                http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• klank
                  304 AMC
                  • Sep 02, 2003

I love going the other way. My dads just a dork.

Comment

• Uncleben03
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 11, 2004

You colorado guys are lucky. I love when i go out there and get the opportunity to run the 2M Colorado Connection system all along the eastern part of the state. Kinda nice to be able to hit half the state on all those linked repeaters.

If you're looking for a good 2M rig, try a radioshack. I know thats a bad word, but thats the only mobile I've ever owned (had a HT, yaesu vx-1r), and its held up for 3 years inside 3 different Jeeps, and my truck so far, and all 4 were high dust environments.
                    -ben
                    88 Grand Waggy- under restoration

Comment

• thejum57
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 05, 2001

Lawrence, are you guys (our Northern brothers) also listed in the QRZ directory? My sister in-law has a new beau from Canada, who claims to be a HAM, but isn't listed. He's one of those people who knows everything, and I'm just trying to call him on at least one! [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanx , Jim
                      Jim, W.Mass. 1976 J-10 258/6 "short-bed" rebuilt motor, Webber 2bbl, Rancho 5000, C.B. 2M HAM, 30" high cap to fit over roll bar KB1FIT (sadly...sold)
                      http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/000_0747.jpg
                      2ooo Dodge Grand Caravan
                      1987 Chevy Cavalier Convertible
                      1986 Jeep Comanche
                      http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/000_1213.jpg

Comment

• Rande
                        Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                        • Jun 26, 2000

Whats his call sign? There are several call lists on the net.

[ January 15, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Rande ]
                        N4ZYV

1966 Mustang
                        1937 IH D2

Comment

• thejum57
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 05, 2001

His call is VE3SSP, when I look it up on QRZ it come out as someone else....from Onterio though! Maybe it ran out, and someone else picked it up?? I could just ask him but he's a master of BS
                          Jim, W.Mass. 1976 J-10 258/6 "short-bed" rebuilt motor, Webber 2bbl, Rancho 5000, C.B. 2M HAM, 30" high cap to fit over roll bar KB1FIT (sadly...sold)
                          2ooo Dodge Grand Caravan
                          1986 Jeep Comanche

Comment

• Rande
                            Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                            • Jun 26, 2000

Looks like that call sign is still valid for the name: Steven Patriquin 402 TOKE TIMMINS, ON P4N 6V7

If the call sign had expired, it would not be reissued for several years. Any ham, Canadian or U.S. can regain an expired call sign within a couple of years of its expiration.

You can tell him you were looking through a Ham radio site and ran his call sign and there seems to be a problem. His call is listed under another guy's name. He should check into it, must be a screw up in the government's system.

If he's a well known BS'er, this call sign of his is likely more of the same. If you confront him about it, he'll probably just spew forth more BS to cover for the earlier BS.
                            N4ZYV

1966 Mustang
                            1937 IH D2

Comment

• thejum57
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 05, 2001

So, you know this guy???? [img]smile.gif[/img] Well his name is Steve, but last name is Gracey, hummmmm doesn't seem to match up! Talking to him, he does seem to know HAM radio, but the call sign thing is odd, at best. Thanx for the input, and yes if I confronted him there would just be more BS!!! Lucky for me, I only have to deal with him on holidays etc.
                              2ooo Dodge Grand Caravan
                              1986 Jeep Comanche

Comment

• Mike D
                                350 Buick
                                • Jul 29, 2002

Bigun, sorry... but the feed through's on those are a pain to replace.. and usally after the first repair.. its over with... because they break the trace from the board,.. broken twice/3rd time, there isnt anything left to solder to... i have 2 211a(one mobil version 245, one base.. and they have the same problem) -- dead.

Iv been using a 706M2G im my wagoneer for a while now.

General class...... bty.
                                64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                                50 truck
                                63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                                And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

Working...
                                X